U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2011, 06:03 PM
 
185 posts, read 439,007 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Hello:

I am considering applying for a job located in Santa Fe Springs, CA as a Software Engineer.

A recruiter contacted me a couple of weeks ago.

Currently I live and work in Indiana but the weather is hitting my seasonal affective disorder pretty hard.

Besides there's not much to do in winter time.

My doctor encouraged me to move more to the South if possible.

Anyone lives or has lived in Santa Fe Springs?

How's the weather, people, cost of living (I assume much higher than Indiana of course), etc.

Any information that you could provide me would be great.

Thanks,
Roberto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,663,884 times
Reputation: 7522
SFS is mostly industrial so not a lot of people actually live there. Its surrounded by plenty of residential cities but many of them are pretty ghetto. Commuting is better if you live south of SFS rather than north due to traffic. Cerritos, Cypress, or parts of Long Beach are decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM
 
185 posts, read 439,007 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
SFS is mostly industrial so not a lot of people actually live there. Its surrounded by plenty of residential cities but many of them are pretty ghetto. Commuting is better if you live south of SFS rather than north due to traffic. Cerritos, Cypress, or parts of Long Beach are decent.
Thanks for your comments.

So how far would the commuting be from SFS to those towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,663,884 times
Reputation: 7522
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertin75 View Post
Thanks for your comments.

So how far would the commuting be from SFS to those towns?
Mostly within 30 minutes. Time of day has a big impact on commute time. A lot of software engineers I know have flexible schedules and can often work from home. Anything you can do be avoid being on the freeways between 6-9am and 4-7pm will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
Reputation: 3402
what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? i wouldn't personally live in SFS, but you have plenty of options within 30 minutes or so. On top of what has already been mentioned, whittier and la mirada come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM
 
185 posts, read 439,007 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Mostly within 30 minutes. Time of day has a big impact on commute time. A lot of software engineers I know have flexible schedules and can often work from home. Anything you can do be avoid being on the freeways between 6-9am and 4-7pm will help.
I doubt that my work schedule (of course in case I get the job) does not fall between those times.

I thought that being small towns the traffic would not be so crowded but from what you are saying seems like it's the same traffic that you would find in L.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 AM
 
185 posts, read 439,007 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? i wouldn't personally live in SFS, but you have plenty of options within 30 minutes or so. On top of what has already been mentioned, whittier and la mirada come to mind.
Any quiet neighboorhood with the basic stuff (wal mart, gym, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,663,884 times
Reputation: 7522
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertin75 View Post
I doubt that my work schedule (of course in case I get the job) does not fall between those times.

I thought that being small towns the traffic would not be so crowded but from what you are saying seems like it's the same traffic that you would find in L.A.
While any particular city may have a population that would put it in the "small city" category, the fact that its in an endless sea of such cities means the overall population is huge. The cities all run together for 50 miles in every direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,823 posts, read 12,243,580 times
Reputation: 5227
I've driven through the city en route to other places.. don't really like the looks of the place but your own tastes may vary. I-5 being only 3 lanes wide when it needs 5+ doesn't really help either.

There are plenty of decent places nearby.. Cerritos, Whittier, La Mirada to name a few..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM
 
185 posts, read 439,007 times
Reputation: 36
So driving from SFS to any of those cities (Cerritos, Whittier, La Mirada , etc.) would take how long in peek hours (6-9am and 4-7pm )?

more than 30 mins?

an hour?

more than an hour?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top