U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,020,800 times

Advertisements

Obv not the cause as the LAUSD school boards presiding over the majority of the decline were comprised mostly of Caucasians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM

16 posts, read 49,592 times
I do agree that 13 did not help local students, I did not know that per pupil
spending was that much higher- but I still see it as only marginally better. Our state is ranked 47th in per pupil dollars. I also agree that school performance is not only related to money-- lots of intertwined factors go into it. But, our state had a winning recipe for public education all the way through the UC system prior to centralizing the education budgets via property tax 'reform'. My pov has been shaped by educating my kids in other states where there wasn't so much control of curriculum and dollars. I hate to see the threat of pink slips to teachers go out yearly and then having to wait to see what the state legislature comes up with to know how many will get fired each year.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,013,127 times
Where have all the white people gone?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,715,527 times
up north, or out east I guess

Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,290 posts, read 1,622,122 times
A large majority of the students who attend LAUSD schools tend to be from families with limited education and blue-collar jobs. You can't compare LAUSD to the school districts like South Pasadena, San Marino, Arcadia, Burbank, LaCanada, Irvine, or other places. People with money and education will move to better school districts and better neighborhoods thus producing students who are probably college bound.

I graduated from a LAUSD high school in the 90s and 50% of 500 people of my senior class graduating. While that is a bad statistic, many of my classmates went on to top colleges like Ivy League schools, top east coast private schools, and top public CA schools like UCLA, CAL, UCSD, etc. They are now engineers, scientists, teachers, lawyers and other professionals. Overall, while LAUSD schools underperform, it also creates some individuals who do excel.

I don't know about the bus situation, or the school board. What I do know is that they need to fire some teachers who are terrible at their profession. They bring neither excitement nor value to education. I had a few teachers who constantly gave tedious tests, made us watched random Hollywood movies, spent 15 minutes of a 50 minute class doing nothing, or yelled at students all the time and dumb them down.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,728,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The above is not correct.

LAUSD schools started declining hard a couple decades ago.

I used to watch the school board meetings(it was on public access tv) when "Hurricane" Jackie Goldberg was the board president. Considering I was quite young at the time, clearly I have a screw loose Anyway, I became entralled because the topics and policies discussed were so over the top ridiculous.

I'm very sure that the problems started prior to this, but the meetings I used to watch were the epitomy of social engineering...basically the tenor was one of "well if the kids aren't being taught xyz at home, we've gotta do it".

I've actually received hate pm's here on CD in the past for posting that LAUSD ought not be involved in social engineering and ought to instead focus on the three R's. But indeed that is what would turn LAUSD around. Look, LAUSD is always going to lag a bit due to the very large numbers of ESL students. But LAUSD should not be nearly as far behind as it is. The way to fix it is:

-Stop busing.
-Cut the administrative budget immediately. Break up LAUSD into smaller subdistricts if that will help cut costs and/or make things more efficient.
-Make the charter school process as simple as possible.
-Develop and maintain a minimum school track for graduation and one for graduation with emphasis on meeting UC/Cal State entrance requirements.
-Emphasize Math/English/Science/Economics as a core ciriculumn and de-emphasis social studies/humanities.
Or just abolish LAUSD period and have those smaller districts replace it. And abolish the comprehensive (which was essentially designed for a US born white middle class population and is no longer relevant to today's America).

Otherwise I agree with what you say.

LAUSD's decline was a result of the double-whammy of busing and Prop 13 occurring about the same time, as well as a very extreme level of corruption that would make a Chicago politician blush. That's why I feel it cannot be reformed without being broken up.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,749 times
There is one simple cause for decline: corruption. The district is run by white chalk criminals not educators. There is no over site and no accountability. Most of the jobs in these offices are unnecessary. The exploitation of poor minority students is typified by the present horror of Belmont HS , see the full disclosure episodes on this travesty, watch a few YouTube airings of board meetings and read Moderator cut: link removed you'll remove your kid from LAUSD school when you finish and thank me for showing the way.
An LAUSD teacher and whistleblower.

Last edited by Count David; 01-02-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: new members are not allowed to post links

Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 PM

3,876 posts, read 3,393,708 times
Hordes of Illegal aliens and their Anchor Babies.

Enforce the immigration laws we already HAVE.

And save millions on infrastructure, ESL classes, free lunches and bilingual forms.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,291,930 times
I went to LAUSD in the 80's and 90's.

The elementary school I went to was reasonable. This was in the "good old days" when you had bake sales, halloween parties, fun back to the school nights. Haven't those things been banned by now, lol. Don't they ban cupcakes now in some elementary schools?

The middle school and highschool I went to weren't that great. Now, they'd probably be in the bottom 1/3 of the country.

-Somebody didn't get the message 30 years ago, busing kills parental involvement. I think it almost intentially destroys schools. 2 parents working + being bused an hour away = slowly but surely, less and less involvement.

Vs a two parent household that lives 10 minutes away. It kills school spirit, community, pride. I don't think pride and LA schools go together very well.

You've had an unbelievable combination of busing, prop 13, changing demographics, the sprawl of LA, ESL/illegals, etc. Terrible management, its burst at the seams.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:40 PM

27,079 posts, read 54,363,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
You've had an unbelievable combination of busing, prop 13, changing demographics, the sprawl of LA, ESL/illegals, etc. Terrible management, its burst at the seams.
It takes a lot of money to bus students... has to come from somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or