U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 AM

3,876 posts, read 3,388,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It takes a lot of money to bus students... has to come from somewhere.
That it does, it costs even more with Illegal aliens straining the system with their illegal children AND Anchor babies that shouldn't/wouldn't be here if the immigration laws were enforced.

Also the overcrowding it brings with multiple families in a single family residence. It's more people in general in a given area, more than the infrastructure can possibly handle.

Increasing the need for more assistance given to the whole scale importation of poverty from south of the border.

I attended school in LAUSD from K - 10th grade before moving out of the area.

The demographics has changed drastically in some areas since the 70's.

I wonder what the cost increase was for ESL classes, bi lingual forms, interpreters, bi lingual staff, subsidized lunches not to mention the enormous effort and time to transition non English speakers over to regular classes not to mention the time and effort involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,287,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It takes a lot of money to bus students... has to come from somewhere.
I think the whole thing is unsustainable. Are LAUSD schools really creating a future tax base to pay for the busing, ESL, lunches, bi lingual education. With a 30% drop out rate, and marginal test scores?

The demographics have changed almost 100% in some areas since the 70's...i.e. 80% white in the valley, now its 70% hispanic or foreign.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think the whole thing is unsustainable. Are LAUSD schools really creating a future tax base to pay for the busing, ESL, lunches, bi lingual education. With a 30% drop out rate, and marginal test scores?

The demographics have changed almost 100% in some areas since the 70's...i.e. 80% white in the valley, now its 70% hispanic or foreign.
If demographic change is the reason, then how come schools in Whittier, West Covina, Covina, Lakewood, etc, all cities with similiar demographic changes, manage to keep themselves above average, even amoungst the latino majority students?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:27 AM

362 posts, read 723,222 times
Hang on, are y'all really blaming school buses?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Hang on, are y'all really blaming school buses?
No, they are blaming the busing practices of LAUSD.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM

3,876 posts, read 3,388,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
If demographic change is the reason, then how come schools in Whittier, West Covina, Covina, Lakewood, etc, all cities with similiar demographic changes, manage to keep themselves above average, even amoungst the latino majority students?
These areas have a higher general income and less transient population.

Rents are a lot cheaper and they have their own police dept. These areas are not as overcrowded and their services are not as overwhelmed and impacted as a good deal of LAUSD's territory.

The cities you mentioned are better than areas of Huntington Park, Bell, Cudahy and a great deal of central LA in general. Also the areas you mentioned have a Latino population that is not as heavy in new immigrants ( Legal and Illegal).

Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post

Rents are a lot cheaper and they have their own police dept. These areas are not as overcrowded and their services are not as overwhelmed and impacted as a good deal of LAUSD's territory.

The cities you mentioned are better than areas of Huntington Park, Bell, Cudahy and a great deal of central LA in general. Also the areas you mentioned have a Latino population that is not as heavy in new immigrants ( Legal and Illegal).
Bingo.

I was just trying to make a point. Several comments in the thread about the demise of white population being the cause.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post

So why are Long Beach's schools better than LAUSD's, considering that Long Beach has a lot of really bad neighborhoods and a lot of new immigrants?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

For a long time, the assumption was that the future tax base wouldn't come from LAUSD but would come from somewhere else, so what LAUSD did was unimportant.

Now it is no longer obvious that L.A. will be an attractive magnet to people who would serve as a future tax base, and LAUSD is one thing that makes L.A. less attractive not only to those from elsewhere (of all backgrounds, including Hispanics) but also less attractive to people in L.A.

Like I've said before - break it up. The state has the power to dissolve it.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 PM

497 posts, read 1,332,740 times
This is a great question.

I'd say it started with two things (at least in west la) then went on:

1. Tenure for teachers, especially the bad ones.
2. Busing
3. The School Voucher/Private School push by industry & upper income.
4. Society & its effects from a 2 parent full time working household
5. LAUSD taking on the role of rosetta stone, daycare, and Parent.
6. Population increase within the same resident areas. More facilities built.
7. Single mothers/fathers having kids that grandparents end up raising.
8. Religious groups advocating no family planning via contraceptives.
9. Society and its creation of longer hours, more work, less pay than #4.

In my opinion, a person looking for the "old days" small neighborhood school sends their kid to a private school. (some do it for ego but they always did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or