U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM
 
3,876 posts, read 3,388,776 times
Reputation: 2519

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So why are Long Beach's schools better than LAUSD's, considering that Long Beach has a lot of really bad neighborhoods and a lot of new immigrants?
I'd surmise that the ports and the jobs/taxes that it generates could be the game changer there.

Also the demographics are more varied Long Beach, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediahttp://notebook.lausd.net/pls/ptl/do...20(8-5X11).PDF

I didn't know that LAUSD had a raced base policy on assigning teachers to certain schoiols
Civil rights group drops lawsuit challenging LAUSD policy - LA Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,696,551 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I'd surmise that the ports and the jobs/taxes that it generates could be the game changer there.
Being not as large means less corruption.
The massive corruption that goes on in LAUSD is not noticed by many (who don't know people who work or have worked at Beaudry)
I have done enough research and investigation into LAUSD, and have heard so many stories of the gross and unbelievable level of corruption in the district, that I am convinced it cannot be saved and should be abolished.
There is more skimming, sweetheart deals, embezzlement, etc. than can be believed, to the point that Hosni Mubarak would be right at home in LAUSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,696,551 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
This is a great question.

I'd say it started with two things (at least in west la) then went on:

1. Tenure for teachers, especially the bad ones.
2. Busing
3. The School Voucher/Private School push by industry & upper income.
4. Society & its effects from a 2 parent full time working household
5. LAUSD taking on the role of rosetta stone, daycare, and Parent.
6. Population increase within the same resident areas. More facilities built.
7. Single mothers/fathers having kids that grandparents end up raising.
8. Religious groups advocating no family planning via contraceptives.
9. Society and its creation of longer hours, more work, less pay than #4.

In my opinion, a person looking for the "old days" small neighborhood school sends their kid to a private school. (some do it for ego but they always did).
Or they just move outside the district.
The West LA area has had "family flight" issues (even in non-LAUSD Beverly Hills and Culver City as well as LAUSD areas) for these reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:45 PM
 
3,876 posts, read 3,388,776 times
Reputation: 2519
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Being not as large means less corruption.
The massive corruption that goes on in LAUSD is not noticed by many (who don't know people who work or have worked at Beaudry)
I have done enough research and investigation into LAUSD, and have heard so many stories of the gross and unbelievable level of corruption in the district, that I am convinced it cannot be saved and should be abolished.
There is more skimming, sweetheart deals, embezzlement, etc. than can be believed, to the point that Hosni Mubarak would be right at home in LAUSD.
You are absolutely correct on those points.
Also with State Speaker John Perez, Mayor Tony V. and others as Labor advocates ther's also a reluctance on their parts in the past to address this.

Villaraigosa has lately changed a bit and has brought up issues about LAUSD.

If you remember LAUSD's top guy Cortines was also on scholastic books payroll while he worked for LAUSD. Talk about a conflict of interest.

How many millionns of dollars did he steer to them for new textbooks ?

That's another corrupt scam where they change a few sentences in a book and require new editions of basically the same textbook to be ordered and used for the schools when the old edition is 99.999% the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,696,551 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
You are absolutely correct on those points.
Also with State Speaker John Perez, Mayor Tony V. and others as Labor advocates ther's also a reluctance on their parts in the past to address this.

Villaraigosa has lately changed a bit and has brought up issues about LAUSD.

If you remember LAUSD's top guy Cortines was also on scholastic books payroll while he worked for LAUSD. Talk about a conflict of interest.

How many millionns of dollars did he steer to them for new textbooks ?

That's another corrupt scam where they change a few sentences in a book and require new editions of basically the same textbook to be ordered and used for the schools when the old edition is 99.999% the same?
All correct.
Given Villaraigosa's and his cousin Perez's ties to unions there is no surprise that they have been reluctant to address these issues. The teachers' union has fiercely fought breaking up LAUSD in the past.
Tony V's getting more critical of the teachers' unions right now because he's thinking about his future after he leaves the mayor's office.

Not only did the district's former superintendent Ray Cortines work for Scholastic but many members of the board have outside interests which interfere with their jobs. And the bureaucracy is top-heavy and filled with unqualified, incompetent people hired because of family networks inside the district.


The awarding of contracts to build schools and "sweetheart deals" which push construction costs up also deserves attention.

If L.A. County had a D.A. who was actually interested in fighting public corruption, unlike Cooley who has ignored it, there would be heads rolling at LAUSD. Beaudry would be half empty from everyone who'd be hauled off in handcuffs.

Last edited by majoun; 01-05-2012 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,679,844 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Like I've said before - break it up. The state has the power to dissolve it.
I AGREE 100%! The LAUSD is a monster and needs to be slayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM
 
497 posts, read 1,332,994 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Or they just move outside the district.
The West LA area has had "family flight" issues (even in non-LAUSD Beverly Hills and Culver City as well as LAUSD areas) for these reasons.
Yes, I'd like to see it broken up into small community schools. There is no point to try and manage, police and enforce the monster it has become.

I didn't know about tony v's affiliation you mentioned and the corruption involved, although I suspected it. I am interested in reading about that and will check it out. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 PM
 
3,876 posts, read 3,388,776 times
Reputation: 2519
Woman in Hubbard case sentenced to prison - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register This is a story about a former Beverly Hills School director that was busted for corruption there and after they moved to Newport Mesa School district in OC.

I know it's nit LAUSD but this story brings to light some of the shenanigans that go on behind the scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,444 posts, read 24,696,551 times
Reputation: 7317
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Woman in Hubbard case sentenced to prison - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register This is a story about a former Beverly Hills School director that was busted for corruption there and after they moved to Newport Mesa School district in OC.

I know it's nit LAUSD but this story brings to light some of the shenanigans that go on behind the scenes.
Considering Steve Cooley's lack of interest in public corruption cases there aren't as many as there should be. But here are a few examples of what goes on:

LAUSD facilities director resigns - latimes.com

Grand jury indicts a top LAUSD official - latimes.com

LAUSD parfait? Corruption at the top, violence at the bottom, fear in the middle - California's Children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
2,884 posts, read 5,287,974 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
For a long time, the assumption was that the future tax base wouldn't come from LAUSD but would come from somewhere else, so what LAUSD did was unimportant.

Now it is no longer obvious that L.A. will be an attractive magnet to people who would serve as a future tax base, and LAUSD is one thing that makes L.A. less attractive not only to those from elsewhere (of all backgrounds, including Hispanics) but also less attractive to people in L.A.

Like I've said before - break it up. The state has the power to dissolve it.
If you looked at it from a distance, it sure is a strange situation. You've got LAUSD turning out 18 year olds,

-30% drop out.

-Say for benefit the other 70% go to college. I'm sure a lot of those need remedial classes in english or math (or other subjects). I bet you not even 50% of those attending LAUSD are proficient in all subjects by their 2nd year of college.

How is that going to create much of a future tax base?

Then on the other hand you've got spiraling costs, services, esl, lunches. I wonder what the ratio of student to administrators was in the 50's or 70's? It must be lower than it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top