U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 AM

269 posts, read 717,887 times

Advertisements

I heard they weren't always as bad as they are now; anyone have any idea what caused them to fall into decay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 AM

1,605 posts, read 2,089,473 times
See:

No Child Left Behind Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Fi...et_14732_7.pdf

Maybe This Is Why Attacking Teachers Is So Popular…And Why It’s So Important To Speak Positively About Our Students | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…

Attacking teachers hurts our nation - phillyBurbs.com : Yardley: guest opinion, education, teachers,

Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,020,800 times
The above is not correct.

LAUSD schools started declining hard a couple decades ago.

I used to watch the school board meetings(it was on public access tv) when "Hurricane" Jackie Goldberg was the board president. Considering I was quite young at the time, clearly I have a screw loose Anyway, I became entralled because the topics and policies discussed were so over the top ridiculous.

I'm very sure that the problems started prior to this, but the meetings I used to watch were the epitomy of social engineering...basically the tenor was one of "well if the kids aren't being taught xyz at home, we've gotta do it".

I've actually received hate pm's here on CD in the past for posting that LAUSD ought not be involved in social engineering and ought to instead focus on the three R's. But indeed that is what would turn LAUSD around. Look, LAUSD is always going to lag a bit due to the very large numbers of ESL students. But LAUSD should not be nearly as far behind as it is. The way to fix it is:

-Stop busing.
-Cut the administrative budget immediately. Break up LAUSD into smaller subdistricts if that will help cut costs and/or make things more efficient.
-Make the charter school process as simple as possible.
-Develop and maintain a minimum school track for graduation and one for graduation with emphasis on meeting UC/Cal State entrance requirements.
-Emphasize Math/English/Science/Economics as a core ciriculumn and de-emphasis social studies/humanities.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:00 AM

3,281 posts, read 7,228,766 times
What do you think has caused the decline?

Most of the students do not speak English, come from impoverished homes with no fathers and grow up in marginal cirumstances. Think there's a corrolation between socio-economic status and test scores? Check out Arcadia and San Marino's scores, and both are 12 miles away from downtown LA.

Contrast this to the 1950's and before when LA schools were populated with a monolithic population, upper middle class mostly, with two parents in the homes. The children were read to, taken to museums, libraries... there were books and magazines in the house.

Society itself has completely fall apart, why shouldn't the schools follow suit? Oh, but wait--- let's blame the teachers.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,020,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
What do you think has caused the decline?

Most of the students do not speak English, come from impoverished homes with no fathers and grow up in marginal cirumstances. Think there's a corrolation between socio-economic status and test scores? Check out Arcadia and San Marino's scores, and both are 12 miles away from downtown LA.

Contrast this to the 1950's and before when LA schools were populated with a monolithic population, upper middle class mostly, with two parents in the homes. The children were read to, taken to museums, libraries... there were books and magazines in the house.

Society itself has completely fall apart, why shouldn't the schools follow suit? Oh, but wait--- let's blame the teachers.
Although hyperbolic a bit, this post makes some good points. The temple City/Arcadia comparison is a bit unfair as there are cultural factors at play with a majority Asian population. A better comparison might be Lakewood or Long Beach where the diverse population mirrors LA yet the scools there consistently perform much better than LAUSD schools.

This is why busing needs to end. LAUSD needs to establish more middle and high schools that perform at a reasonable level. Right now, only open high schools in Woodland Hills and Eagle Rock meet that mark as well as a few Charter Schools. Ending busing would provide inventive for local parents in Northridge, Westchester, Mar Vista, West LA, and other middle and upper income areas that have poor performing public schools.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:50 PM

16 posts, read 49,592 times
I think you are also forgetting about Prop 13. Before this initiative passed in 1978, the school districts had more per pupil spending and transportation for local kids. Now our state constitutional restraints hamstring the education budget by reallocating property tax revenues based (at least partly) on average daily attendance. Also, the education budget is one of the few large items left that can be touched- and so it is. Now, no buses ( for locals) even for field trips, not to mention the teacher furlough days and cuts to arts and physical education. If I could choose, I would send my kids to Beverly Hills schools, because they are one of the very few self financing districts in the state.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,466,199 times
Upwardly mobile middle-income parents have chosen to raise kids in various newer suburbs w/newer houses and decent public schools (w/similar kids of similar such parents) for past ~50yrs almost anywhere in US, not just CA

And in era of Net, kindle, youtube, khan academy, etc, any formal bricks&mortar education, whether K-12 or overpriced colleges like Stanford, is increasingly irrelevant to anyone who wishes to efficiently learn useful skills and obtain a lucrative job

Interestingly, many of world's top engineers and entrepreneurs today are college dropouts (incl 55-70yo guys like Ellison or Gates as well as many <30yo engineers/entrepreneurs), raising questions about value of any formal education, no matter cost or prestige perceived by Luddites who celebrate diplomas but cannot judge useful skills...

Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,797,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdflip View Post
I think you are also forgetting about Prop 13. Before this initiative passed in 1978, the school districts had more per pupil spending and transportation for local kids. Now our state constitutional restraints hamstring the education budget by reallocating property tax revenues based (at least partly) on average daily attendance. Also, the education budget is one of the few large items left that can be touched- and so it is. Now, no buses ( for locals) even for field trips, not to mention the teacher furlough days and cuts to arts and physical education. If I could choose, I would send my kids to Beverly Hills schools, because they are one of the very few self financing districts in the state.
Wait a second. First, Prop 13 didn't do much of anything for local students. Prop 13 was in large part influenced by the statewide nationalization of local property tax dollars by Serrano v Priest, which basically banned local property taxes from being used as financing for schools.

As far as LAUSD is concerned, they're around 200 on the list of about 1000 school districts in the state in per pupil spending, above the two highest rated districts by API in Orange County by over $3000 per student. Funding isn't their problem.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,495,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
raising questions about value of any formal education, no matter cost or prestige perceived by Luddites who celebrate diplomas but cannot judge useful skills...
Not much for the value of human interaction or social skills, are we, h? And we need not go into any discussion of the arts, do we? Might excite those Luddites.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 PM

1,504 posts, read 5,572,269 times
Two words: white flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or