Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times

Advertisements

I want to go to a LA NYE event; I am looking for one of those big and fancy events similar to those shown on TV; preferably hosted by a CELEB with big and well known TOP 40 artist. Last year Gridlock had a big one that was hosted by Pam Anderson and with Adam Lambert as a guest. I am looking for acts similar to Katy Perry, Adam Lambert etc, not unknown acts and bands.
Gridlock had an event in 2009 but nothing this year on their website

I also looked at Los Angeles New Years Eve 2012 Event Tickets - clubZone.com
but there is nothing there I like. I already looked at Wanttickets...

Anyone know what the biggest NYE party will be in L.A? I am willing to spend a lot on tickets but I don't want it to be just a club; I prefer those televised NYE events where you have live (famous singers) and hosted by a celeb etc.

I don't want to go to a NYE event at a small time club; I want a big event with well known singers performing etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:19 PM

89 posts, read 215,009 times
I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for this year. Big New Year's Eve events in L.A. tend to be more DJ-driven than live music-driven, and my experience has been that anyone who claims that they know where the biggest NYE party in town is, is probably promoting it.

The big, televised NYE events tend to happen on the east coast, which makes sense when you think about it: Networks can tape-delay Times Square and show it mock-live in three other time zones. There's just not much economic incentive to put on a big production that you can only show in one time zone.

Not that you asked for advice, but here's mine anyway: Go somewhere within walking distance of your (or a friend's) place. NYE gridlock isn't just a party that's not happening this year...

Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My daughter and her friends went looking last year and found a few bars, restaraunts and clubs in their area that looked like fun. Cover charges and needing reservations killed it for them so in the end they had 6 people in a studio apartment sitting on the floor and drinking champagne.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscure reference View Post
I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for this year. Big New Year's Eve events in L.A. tend to be more DJ-driven than live music-driven, and my experience has been that anyone who claims that they know where the biggest NYE party in town is, is probably promoting it.

The big, televised NYE events tend to happen on the east coast, which makes sense when you think about it: Networks can tape-delay Times Square and show it mock-live in three other time zones. There's just not much economic incentive to put on a big production that you can only show in one time zone.

Not that you asked for advice, but here's mine anyway: Go somewhere within walking distance of your (or a friend's) place. NYE gridlock isn't just a party that's not happening this year...
Yea, I was looking for something like those shows you see on tv on NYE with the Black Eyed Peas performing etc.. like those Dick Clark type shows. Ok, guess that's all East Coast then; I didn't know that. The only one that seemed cool was the Gridlock one; I didn't even realize it was no longer being held, took me a while to figure out that the Adam Lambert one was from last year! I was almost ready to get tickets...

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Yea, I was looking for something like those shows you see on tv on NYE with the Black Eyed Peas performing etc.. like those Dick Clark type shows. Ok, guess that's all East Coast then; I didn't know that. The only one that seemed cool was the Gridlock one; I didn't even realize it was no longer being held, took me a while to figure out that the Adam Lambert one was from last year! I was almost ready to get tickets...
Back in the day, didn't the Dick Clark show have like live feeds of bands playing in LA?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
This thread reminds me of New Year's Eve 1999/2000. All day we watched TV as nations across the world put on amazing New Year's displays. What did L.A. do? I seem to remember a sparse crowd due to rain and Jay Leno at the Hollywood sign. Really? I stayed up late for that? Where was Dick Clark freezing and shivering in New York?! I was so disappointed!

New Year's Eve is all about the hype. Well, that and avoiding the amateur drunks on the road if you actually go anywhere! I wouldn't spend the $65-80 to go see a band that night when prices are much more reasonable the rest of the year.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
NYE in America happens in the east coast first and by the time it gets to the west coast everybody else is just tired and wants to go to bed already

Old 12-15-2011, 02:11 PM

89 posts, read 215,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Back in the day, didn't the Dick Clark show have like live feeds of bands playing in LA?
I think they did, but the producers probably decided that getting people to a club by 6pm local time was more trouble than it was worth.

For NYE, I usually just meet up with some friends at a neighborhood bar with no cover charge. We get there by 9, stake out a table, knock back cheap drinks, ring in the new year, and eat goodies from a taco truck until everyone's fit to make their way home. It's how I'll spend many a night in the coming year; why not get started right away?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This thread reminds me of New Year's Eve 1999/2000. All day we watched TV as nations across the world put on amazing New Year's displays. What did L.A. do? I seem to remember a sparse crowd due to rain and Jay Leno at the Hollywood sign. Really? I stayed up late for that? Where was Dick Clark freezing and shivering in New York?! I was so disappointed!

New Year's Eve is all about the hype. Well, that and avoiding the amateur drunks on the road if you actually go anywhere! I wouldn't spend the $65-80 to go see a band that night when prices are much more reasonable the rest of the year.
For last years Gridlocks the cheapest tickets were $150 and up; that's the price range I'm comfortable with. I am looking for an upscale, fancy event where people dress up etc. I saw some stuff like that on TV a few years ago. Neighborhood bars and such are not for me.

Last edited by jackie100; 12-15-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Well I'd suggest Vegas but it's sold out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles