Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:25 PM

19 posts, read 33,061 times

Advertisements

I must commend the Councilman's office for getting the dead cow and mattresses picked up the same day reported, especially since they blocked a storm drain that crosses the street /dump site. I've called the city to report truckloads of garbage blocking the street and they required an "inventory" of the garbage. The reasoning is so the city can send trucks, specific to the type of garbage. So instead of one truck and a skip loader, multiple trucks, crews and equipment can waste time "selecting" which garbage they specialize in removing. How about just driving around on a daily basis, collecting all the garbage in sight and sorting it out at the dump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 01:26 PM

When and why did Cascades Golf Course close?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:45 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Looks like it was developed..this is an old article though..

Horse Owners Are Bridling at Changes - latimes

The largest housing project planned for Sylmar is the 780-unit Legends of Cascades, which will be situated on a golf course near the junction of the 5, 405 and 210 freeways and California 14.

The development gets its name from the nearby Sylmar Cascades, where water coursed down through the Los Angeles Aqueduct for the first time in 1913 into the city of Los Angeles. William Mulholland is said to have proclaimed: "There it is; take it."

Another 450 condominiums are being planned or are under construction on or near Foothill Boulevard.

Looks like this is a site that was selling homes in the development
Great Opportunity in "The Legends at Cascade" Community! - 16736 Nicklaus Drive, Sylmar, CA 91342 (1200048)

Old 05-19-2015, 10:07 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
The manufactured homes park along the 210 near Roxford that 500 homes burned to the ground is near full again with brand new homes. After that happened when you drove along the freeway there was this huge area of ashes. Now its all new.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the LA Times link. I remember driving by and seeing the course and grading for homes. In the 70s there was a park facility back in the Cascades area where company picnics were held. I would have liked to have the course still there. Have rode my motorcycle among the remnants of the Cascades. Security there said thieves were stealing all the copper and aluminum they could find. Too bad you can't turn back the clock. Many fond memories of Sylmar in the 70s. I worked the fire and had friends in that park that was destroyed. Good to see it rise from the ashes. Still wish there was a golf course. I used to play the 9 hole course in the mid 70s where ITT now resides.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,894 times
Default Hidden Gem

Where are the most Pebble Beach Concours d Elegance Winners in the world (even surpassing the world famous Peterson Car Collection Museum) located ?
You guessed it San Sylmar (Nethercutt Collection is also home to a pipe organ that competes with the one at New York's Famous Radio Music Hall ).

Where is the only city in Los Angeles that Hang gliding is allowed ?
You guessed it Sylmar.

Where does the Veterans Administration build a Tuberculosis Care Hospital because of Clean Air
You guessed it Sylmar.

Where does Los Angeles distribute its main NS power lines and water filtration plants ?
You guessed it Sylmar.

Where does Los Angeles build its newest College and later multi million $ Gym
You guessed it Mission College in Sylmar

Where in LA can a blue collar worker still ride a horse to get Donuts or Hardware (Bell Canyon and Burbank aren't blue collar) ?
You guessed it Sylmar.

In 1928 where is the Highest Dam in all the United States ?
You guessed Pacoima Dam actually located in Sylmar.

Where are 80 acre El Cariso Memorial Park (Olympic Pool, Kiddie pool, Tennis, Football, Baseball ) , +97 acre Veterans Memorial Park (Attracts Hikers from all of LA) plus El Cariso Golf Course located ?
You guessed it Sylmar (look at Google Earth hard pressed to find more parks in any other nearby city ) I know forgot to mention Sylmar Park but didn't want to give away the answer... LMAO.

When I wake up and look down at the valley with a breeze (bringing in clean air ) that's not felt down in "The Famous Brady Bunch Valley" and can't decide if i should jog down the hill or up where do you you think i'm at?
You guessed it a block away from El Cariso and 2 blocks from Veterans Park (not to bad for not living in the Cascades side of town).

Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Sylmar ; paradise on earth .

Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Sylmar has a new Food for Less gas station Glenoaks and Hubbard with gas 10 cents a gallon less than the next cheapest station and way cheaper than most. Needless to say expect to have to wait.
A new Starbucks and a new Wendys next door.
There building something, I don't know what yet where the old El Chaparral restaurant was, Foothill and Sayer. and across the street a new Rite Aid.
And a new 99cents store where the old Rite Aid was.
A new Smart & Final and a new drug store Glenoaks and Hubbard and across Hubbard a new small mall.
I can think of 6 new houses within a few blocks of me, 2 were vacant lots and 3 were run down old houses torn down.
2 groups of new townhouses along Hubbard above Gladstone.
They are building townhouses or apartments between the freeway and Foothill.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 03-15-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sylmar ; paradise on earth .
Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, Sylmar is a place on earth
They say in Sylmar, love comes first
We'll make Sylmar a place on earth

When the night falls down
I wait for you and you come around
And the world's alive with the sound
Of kids on the street outside

When you walk into the room
You pull me close and we start to move
And we're spinning with the stars above
And you lift me up in a wave of love

They say in Sylmar love comes first

When I feel alone, I reach for you
And you bring me home
When I'm lost at sea I hear your voice
And it carries me

In this world we're just beginning
To understand the miracle of living
Baby, I was afraid before
But I'm not afraid anymore

Ooh, Sylmar is a place on earth.

In this world we're just beginning
To understand the miracle of living
Baby, I was afraid before
But I'm not afraid anymore

Old 03-22-2017, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

There building something, I don't know what yet where the old El Chaparral restaurant was, Foothill and Sayer. and across the street a new Rite Aid.
Vega...More Yummy Sylmar News : )

I heard they may be building a new In & Out Burger at old El Chaparral site @ Sayre & Foothill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles