U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,983 times

Advertisements

I've read many posts and appreciate all the great insight to LA and the surrounding area. My question is specific to Santa Monica, so please if you know the answers, I would LOVE your help/opinion. Many thanks in advance!

Here's my story: I want to move from Salt Lake City, UT to Santa Monica. My wife and I are mid-thirties with two kids in 1st and 2nd grade. I work from home, so commute isn't an issue. Ideally we want to live north of Montana between 15th and Centinella, but we'll consider between Wilshire and Montana. Our budget is 2 Million for a house, so sadly, I know that's limiting for a single family home, so town homes are an option.

My questions are:

- Is the Franklin School district as great as I've read about? My kids are in Private school now and it is considered a very good school
- Is Santa Monica north of Wilshire a fairly safe place to live and walk around?
- What's it like raising kids in this area? Lots to do? Kid friendly? Many young families?
- Is the Santa Monica beach area good for hanging around? Is it safe?
- Is the Gloom as bad as I hear?
- Anything negative that someone not from there may be missing?

Many, many thanks!!!

Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 PM

14,293 posts, read 16,117,826 times
Moving from SLC to LA will be culture shock for you and your family. No disrespect intended. I have visited SLC many times and found that it's a family friendly and safe place. I won't say much more about LA...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,020,800 times
You'll get 2-3 times the house in a number of really great areas in LA and OC including beach areas. Do a search in your price range on Redfin to get an idea.

Anyway in answer to your questions the answer is mostly yes.

However, $2 million won't get you a house in Franklin NOM. In fact, I only found only six homes in the NOM area sold in the past three months and all were under 2000 sq ft. I also have to believe each has issues as I am pretty sure that raw land or teardowns in the area are around 1.75-2million(most lots are the same size).

And Santa Monica is not a great beach. The great beaches are mostly South Bay and OC.

And as far as being so great, there are better public schools in Cerritos, Irvine, La Canada, San Marino, etc. Franklin is very good, but the crap LAUSD schools make it appear even better. And the Santa Monica public schools at high school level is merely good....there are lots of very excellent schools in other upscale areas.

FYI, this is what 2 million gets you elsewhere in LA or OC(with public schools rated "9" or "10" through high school as well)

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Rancho-Palo...5/home/7741073

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Huntington-...9/home/3872198

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Huntington-...8/home/3140805

Last edited by JohnG72; 01-03-2012 at 10:11 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 PM

571 posts, read 1,752,972 times
There's a pocket of gorgeous homes in El Segundo that is similar to Santa Monica area.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 PM

571 posts, read 1,752,972 times
Oh and forget Redfin, Trulia, etc. The best one is ZipRealty. You can search by zip, city, or map and can filter by anything from year built to lot size. All details such as the school, HOA dues, etc. Are in the listing. I'm a bit obsessed!!! Lol

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 3,983 times
Default Thanks for the comments!

Thank you all for your comments. It looks like a bunch of great options in other areas, which is good to know, but I really need to be on the Westside of LA. I work at home, but I am in the entertainment industry, so I will travel for meetings throughout Burbank, Westwood, Hollywood, etc. Is there better areas than Santa Monica in the Westside? I am looking forward to the culture shock by the way. I grew up in NYC, so I am ready for life in a city again! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or