Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,688 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning on moving to Rancho Palos Verdes early next year and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on Internet Service Providers. Speed and reliability are the two main things I'm concerned about. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM

63 posts, read 154,503 times
FiOS without a doubt! If you're getting TV as well, I'd skip their DVR and get a TiVo...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,688 times
Thanks for the recommendation! I actually ended up going with FiOS. The installation was fairly painless too since the previous owner of the house already had FiOS installed so the main work involved was wiring to a different room (wanted the router in a different room). Verizon ended up installing a new router too that supports 802.11n. I measured the wired speed of the connection and observed around 43 Mb/s downstream and approximately 33 Mb/s upstream using Speakeasy - Speed Test. Completely blows away any previous Internet connection I've ever had (cable modem (both Charter and Comcast), DSL, etc.)!

BTW, for other people who are interested, I found this thread on Verizon vs. Cox to be useful. This discussion is mostly in other cities, but still contains some useful information which had me leaning towards FiOS too.

Verizon FiOS vs. Cox Cable: My experiences - Hokum

I wish I had read your post earlier about the DVR part since I did end up getting it. The DVR isn't part of my contract though since it was an add-on so I think I can probably cancel it later and switch to using a Tivo box if their box gets too annoying. Thanks for that piece of advice though. I have a feeling I'll probably switch that out like you suggested.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
What part of RPV are you in? Buying a house near Miraleste and Verizon said they didn't serve that area. Wondering if it's an error since the addresses are a little bit tricky or if they truly just don't serve our street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: