U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM

49 posts, read 57,909 times

Advertisements

As a German law-abiding resident in the States, I feel ashamed and embarrassed by what transpired in L.A....

I was confronted with the fires by several workers and customers today, and it was not pleasant to become defensive...I can not be held accountable for someone's activities, but their is always some "guilt by association".

Although the young man has not been found guilty by a court of law, it appears that the man has an anger-management problem and some other psychiatric disturbances, which are no excuse for his behavior or activities. This issue has also been discussed on various German websites, with the general opinion beeing to "lock him up and throw away the key"

I have posted below a link to the German Embassy in Los Angeles. It is my opinion, that if the man is found guilty and most likely has nowhere near the amount of money to compensate victims for his crime, that Germany should pick up this expense. Once the court has decided he is guilty, I will write a letter to the Embassy basically stating the fact, that neither the victims, nor their insurance company, should have to pay these damages.

I can tell you, that Germany is extremely sensitive to feelings of foreigners toward Germany. As a matter of fact, if you go to the website posted below, (Choose English or German) you will find references to Germany's improved image, which now stands the risk of being shattered. The cost of the damages, from what I could gather was around 3 million Dollars, is small change for Germany, relative to the negative publicity and repercussions it could derive from the events in L.A.

I have also an address to Angela Merkel and I will not hesitate writing her if the German embassy in L.A does not respond (favorably).

Anyone directly affected by the fires please send me an e-mail via my city-data.com. I will go out of my way to help you any way I can.

https://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/Kontakt.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,740,691 times
@ImaKraut - I don't care if the guy is a German or a Klingon - why does anyone make an issue of his nationality. I seriously doubt that this will become an international issue. The German Embassy, Angela Merkel...please! The German people are not responsible for one mans actions. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 PM

10,001 posts, read 13,828,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaKraut View Post
As a German law-abiding resident in the States, I feel ashamed and embarrassed by what transpired in L.A....

I was confronted with the fires by several workers and customers today, and it was not pleasant to become defensive...I can not be held accountable for someone's activities, but their is always some "guilt by association".

Although the young man has not been found guilty by a court of law, it appears that the man has an anger-management problem and some other psychiatric disturbances, which are no excuse for his behavior or activities. This issue has also been discussed on various German websites, with the general opinion beeing to "lock him up and throw away the key"

I have posted below a link to the German Embassy in Los Angeles. It is my opinion, that if the man is found guilty and most likely has nowhere near the amount of money to compensate victims for his crime, that Germany should pick up this expense. Once the court has decided he is guilty, I will write a letter to the Embassy basically stating the fact, that neither the victims, nor their insurance company, should have to pay these damages.

I can tell you, that Germany is extremely sensitive to feelings of foreigners toward Germany. As a matter of fact, if you go to the website posted below, (Choose English or German) you will find references to Germany's improved image, which now stands the risk of being shattered. The cost of the damages, from what I could gather was around 3 million Dollars, is small change for Germany, relative to the negative publicity and repercussions it could derive from the events in L.A.

I have also an address to Angela Merkel and I will not hesitate writing her if the German embassy in L.A does not respond (favorably).

Anyone directly affected by the fires please send me an e-mail via my city-data.com. I will go out of my way to help you any way I can.

https://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/Kontakt.html
I'm sorry to hear that you were confronted by anyone in regards to this... I don't believe it's fair to judge anyone by their nationality (or race or anything else for that matter). When was the last time that a German national went around committing crimes like this in the US? I can't recall having heard any such thing... this was obviously an isolated incident. Insane is insane, no matter where in the world they took their first breath.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 PM

1,527 posts, read 3,439,547 times
It's not a coincidence.. In Germany and Berlin to be more specific there are these types of arson all the time, burning cars and luxury cars..

Torching cars called common crime in Germany

It has been found that this criminal is German.. And this is a common crime in Germany to express anger..

Things like this should never be tolerated here.. He can do whatever he wants in his loosen home country..

Last edited by Count David; 01-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: posts merged

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,474,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

Things like this should never be tolerated here
Meanwhile, we have masses of people promoting the idea that if every American had a gun, we'd all be safer. Howse about we express thanks for this guy's capture, and express proper outrage for and concentrate on what we have way more than Germany - gun violence?

Setting fires over New Year's killed cars; shooting people over NYE killed people.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,614,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Meanwhile, we have masses of people promoting the idea that if every American had a gun, we'd all be safer. Howse about we express thanks for this guy's capture, and express proper outrage for and concentrate on what we have way more than Germany - gun violence?

Setting fires over New Year's killed cars; shooting people over NYE killed people.
If he jumped into your bedroom at night, you'd pray you had a gun. Don't think this will never happen to you.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:54 AM

10,001 posts, read 13,828,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
if he jumped into your bedroom at night, you'd pray you had a gun. Don't think this will never happen to you.
lol.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 AM

22,600 posts, read 20,212,165 times
Common crime? I guess that is a bogus assessment. I lived in Germany for decades, I never saw any burning car or house or whatever.

Some left-wing radicals indeed set a couple of cars on fire on one or two specific days every year in order to protest the system or whatever, but if I remember correctly that ritual is pretty much limited to run-down parts of Hamburg and Berlin.

There is also a big difference between setting cars on fire and burning down homes. With cars one knows nobody gets hurt as one can see whether there is someone inside or not.

Arson has been linked to rape by some psychologists and criminologists. To me a burnt car is way better than a raped woman...

The arsonist's nationality has nothing to do with those arson cases in LA. I would be more worried about German businessmen roaming the US, you are more likely to find criminals among them than among normal tourists.

That guy now is simply a criminal regardless of his nationality, just like his mother seems to be. White trash according to what I have read...

Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM

17,455 posts, read 16,321,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't believe it's fair to judge anyone by their nationality (or race or anything else for that matter).
Exactly. This was obviously a deeply disturbed individual with a mother who sounds even more disturbed than he is. It'll be interesting to find out--if we ever do--why he chose fire as the means to express his rage.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 AM

5,216 posts, read 7,371,872 times
Apparently, the Burkhart's are suspected of burning their house down in Germany and submitting an insurance claim the next day. The mother is wanted on 16 counts of fraud and three counts of embezzlement. Most are for phony real estate deals. Also, failure to pay for a breast enhancement procedure. According to the article these charges carry a minimum sentence of six months in prison and some defendants can receive suspended sentences. I'd like to know how the Burkhart's obtained visas to enter the U.S. in the first place. The Burkharts should be treated no differently that we would treat Islamic terrorists.
Official: Los Angeles arson suspect under investigation in Germany - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles