U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 PM

25 posts, read 37,630 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody!
I was reading around this site and it seems like a perfect place to ask this, and Im sure it's the most common question on here lol but,
I'm 24 and recently graduated from an acting school ins NYC, and am moving to la hopefully around march/april. Anyway, Ive done a lot of research on good areas to live but would live to get some feedback from people who actually live there- I'm looking for a safe area in a good central location to get to auditions as easily as possible, I only need a one bedroom, and am looking to pay around 1100 a month. I've heard good thinks about noho, so how's that? Any info is greatly appreciated-thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 PM

65 posts, read 121,407 times
I am not sure where most auditions are located, but if you're looking for a cheap living situation in any particular area you should definitely check Craigslist regularly for some unusual arrangements such as a person having a small detached building in their yard that they have turned into a studio apartment, or an elderly person renting out a portion of her home now that her other family has died or moved on... These arrangements can often be cheaper and more personalized than your standard "fill out a rental application" deal. My first years in L.A. were all spent in odd arrangements like this and they were wonderful and helped me build up a good rental history to make normal landlords more interested in renting to me later. Sometimes landlords in L.A. can be so picky about newcomers if they don't have really conservative jobs.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM

12 posts, read 20,172 times
Check out the areas like Toluca Lake. Relatively safe, and you'll be among lots of other aspiring actors. You can also look into apartment sharing around there. There aren't as many weirdos out here as some might think, but do check them out first!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 PM

369 posts, read 467,812 times
Studio City is close to a lot of the studios (obviously, lol) so look there. Sherman Oaks is just a hop/skip away as well. Other options are Burbank, which also covers a lot of the "audition" areas and is close to a lot of the main freeways. It all depends on the audition locations, but they're generally in Hollywood and Burbank. The poster who said check Craigslist for those locations is right. Then, after you find the address on a Craigslist posting, go to crimemapping.com and type in the home address, and you'll see the neighborhood crime stats, etc. Don't let the crimes completely scare you off areas, but at least you can be more mindful of what the area is like and what to expect - more or less.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Ok awesome- this is some great advice-thanks a lot for the help!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Ok update- my roommate is transferring to work at a store in Glendale- so here is my wish list-

*We are taking only one car, so somewhere he can take public transportation to work In Glendale, as I will usually have the car in order to go to auditions.
*Good location for access to agents/auditions. This is a big one.
*Walking distance from shopping/restaurants/nightlife
*Somewhere that has rent control.
*Safe, pet friendly.

Does such a location exist?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 PM

31,493 posts, read 34,731,017 times
Glendale. Getting to work is the big one, auditons may be few and far between and all over the map
Rent control will not benefit you as a new renter.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,830,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Studio City is close to a lot of the studios (obviously, lol) so look there. Sherman Oaks is just a hop/skip away as well. Other options are Burbank, which also covers a lot of the "audition" areas and is close to a lot of the main freeways. It all depends on the audition locations, but they're generally in Hollywood and Burbank. The poster who said check Craigslist for those locations is right. Then, after you find the address on a Craigslist posting, go to crimemapping.com and type in the home address, and you'll see the neighborhood crime stats, etc. Don't let the crimes completely scare you off areas, but at least you can be more mindful of what the area is like and what to expect - more or less.
People still move to L.A. hoping it's the best place to be to break into acting? Presumably your acting school can give you tips on what areas are best for your objectives-- not just where are the largest numbers of people working in the field, but where it's easiest to break in.

I agree that auditions, and job offers in general, could be all over the map, so focusing on rental cost is important. As is access to public transportation (look at www.metro.net), or at least best roads for commutes. Taking additional classes, whether in acting or in camera work, entertainment industry finances, etc., etc., etc. is something you might consider, since you could improve your employability in general, and get tips from teachers and fellow students on job prospects. There are lots of schools with classes focusing on film, TV, live theater, etc. USC and UCLA are among the most famous, though state universities and community colleges are likely less expensive (I'm sure there are also private schools). Thus, proximity to a school could be another factor in deciding where to rent. There are certainly schools in the Glendale-Pasadena area. Pasadena at least used to be known for live theater, including the Pasadena Playhouse. If your friend is working in Glendale and you have no idea where you might work, renting in that area, at least as a start makes sense to me.

I certainly hope you're going to make an exploratory trip to check out places where you might live, and to talk with people about possible job prospects (including where they might be). You could visit schools with acting classes (or other classes you might be interested in), as well as community theatre groups, etc. It could take years to acquire professional experience. Good luck.

Last edited by Samoi137; 01-11-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 PM

I think we are going to look a lot in the NoHo area!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 AM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,288 posts, read 1,617,501 times
If your friend will work in Glendale, you might want to focus on finding something in Glendale or Burbank. There are probably some older apartments for $1100. Best places to pick are within a mile from the Glendale Galleria or Burbank Mall, just because of access to more transit options, restaurants, and other amenities. I think the commute from N.Hollywood to Glendale might be tough, possibly about an 45 mins-hour each way based on Metro bus 183 schedule. There might be another bus??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles