Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM

29 posts, read 54,705 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old male from NY looking to relocate to los angeles, start a new life and find stable employment. Moderator cut: see note

is finding a job that pays enough to live off of without a degree possible in Los Angeles.

Last edited by Count David; 01-04-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: website promotion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Millions of illegals do it so I guess you can too. You just have to accept a very low standard of living.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,135,335 times
There’s no guarantee that even if you have a degree in California that you’ll have a job. I know someone with a graduate degree in public health that’s driving old people around for $10.50 an hour in Sacramento.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,128 times
One of the few industries that will pay a decent wage for non-degree labor is the film/tv business.

But that is a very tough business to break into. I am talking about the people who work behind the scenes building sets, etc.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
One of the few industries that will pay a decent wage for non-degree labor is the film/tv business.

But that is a very tough business to break into. I am talking about the people who work behind the scenes building sets, etc.
Many people have degrees for those kinds of things (lighting, set design/construction, etc.), so it's not like they are non-degree jobs.

Really the only way to break into that industry without any sort of relevant degree is knowing someone who can hook you up.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Many people have degrees for those kinds of things (lighting, set design/construction, etc.), so it's not like they are non-degree jobs.

Really the only way to break into that industry without any sort of relevant degree is knowing someone who can hook you up.

I don't work in the entertainment industry so i claim no expertise.

But I do know a few guys who got into 15 yrs ago with no degrees. They've all done quite well. Not sure how each forged their individual path into it but i agree knowing someone is a BIG help.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,050 times
Depending on what field you want to work in it is possible. Moderator cut: see note, so I'm not sure what direction you want to go.

You should also consider that professional certifications (especially in an IT related field) can be more valuable than a 2 or even a 4 year degree.

Last edited by Count David; 01-04-2012 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: please do not publicly discuss mod actions

Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post

You can break in just by showing up to a hiring day for either a specific job, or more likely a production company (i.e. Live Nation, Goldenvoice, Another Planet up here in NorCal) or event service provider (Aramark) that does big events in your area. Those who move up do so by getting noticed not so much for expertise coming in, but more for hard work and understanding the job at hand, and just getting it done. Meeting and working with the movers and shakers back stage and showing what you're made of goes farther than anything else in the biz. Those guys supervising the lights, soundboards, and cameras might have spent as much time in jail as crewmembers did in college...but guess who gets the last laugh?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:31 AM

369 posts, read 557,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident14 View Post
I am a 22 year old male from NY looking to relocate to los angeles, start a new life and find stable employment. Moderator cut: see note
is finding a job that pays enough to live off of without a degree possible in Los Angeles.
I dunno how bad unemployment is in NY (ok, I have some idea about NYC, as I have friends there), but it's pretty bad in LA. If you have some money saved to live off of, and know a few people whose couches you can crash on for a long while...find a job as an unpaid PA (production assistant), or an intern in a small production company - they occassionally post ads on craigslist - and be willing to do almost anything when there and maybe you can work your way up the ladder eventually, but it takes yeeeears unless you "know" someone in the biz.

But that's not really the stability you're looking for. Next option is to move out and go to a temp agency, take their tests and qualify for admin placement so they can place you in office positions...it's one way to get your foot in the door with certain companies, and then really try to show them how indispensible you are as an employee, so they'll want to hire you on full time on their own.

Finally, have an awesome blog that dishes on the hottest trends/celebs/gossip (like Perez Hilton, though I personally can't stand him/his site). Get a twitter account attached to the blog, constantly self promote on there, attract a lot of followers, and attempt to network, get attention from local Hollywood peeps, and see what floats your way by way of offers/work...and constantly ASK for jobs from anyone with a job themselves.

But a stable job/life without a degree and a possible lack of employment experience (based on your age, I'm guessing but my apologies if I'm wrong) will work against you. Very hard to find work for the most highly qualified folks who already live here...but more power to ya if you can swing it and make it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Count David; 01-04-2012 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,777 times
My advice is to focus on Internet companies, video game companies, etc. All the fun office jobs where you don't have to wear a tie, get free lunch, and there's beer at company events!

Be willing to start at the bottom and/or work part time.

5.5 years ago I took a chance and applied for a fairly well known Internet company. I started part time and worked my way up. I was barely 19 when I started. Now I make 50k, own a townhouse in the valley, and my next step is associate management

And I STILL do not have even my AA yet (2 classes left - no time as a busy working mom!)

I think of all the cities you have the best shot here because of all the 'hip' companies that value personality and experience more than just education. Think of all the companies you can and check their websites directly for openings. IE Netflix, yelp, fandango, pricegrabber, tripadvisor, msn, yahoo, eBay, neopets, etc etc. They usually all have offices in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles