U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,786,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
CalGuy, thank you for your post! Maybe Harrier should read it. This is exactly what I was thinking about in response to his post before, but I didn't want to articulate the possibility (and scare Holi half to death!).

People never cease to amaze me. Even if it's not revenge on such a grand scale, they could make more noise, key her car, be lurking around when she steps outside to do laundry or get her mail, etc.
Ok Sandy so according to your opinion bad people should be allowed to do whatever they want because if they aren't allowed to do so they might hurt the good guys.

CalGuy did his duty as a manager. He gave fair warning to the malcontents and followed through. They chose to respond by burning the property down. If one neglects to do what is right for the fear that bad things may result - you are simply letting those who have no sense of right or wrong prevail. Before someone tries to say that I am being contradictory here - let me address that now - these people need a boot up their ass - but that doesn't mean a little respect might help (i.e. plain talking and voicing of complaints). It may not work either. However - we should not be afraid to act because of fear of adverse resuts.

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

- Edmund Burke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,102,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
You don't live in LA, obviously... LA cops in high density residential won't bother with you for complaints that do not match "hear noise from patrol car", and if they decide you bother them too much, they won't help you if you really need it later, or will tell you that will get arrested yourself if you keep pestering them. OP does not have any recourse as far as police is concerned, this is a civil matter between her and the property owner.
I did say,"Not from there....". So I don't have first hand info re: LA noise ordinance or enforcement. Perhaps you do have experience there.

Are you saying with absolute certainty that,as far as police are concerned, "this is a civil matter"? And that police will, under no circumstances, follow up on a noise complaint if they can't hear the noise from the curb? On the face of it this isn't logical. Otherwise there would be no noise ordinance outside the civil code.

That's why I referred to the importance of reading the law oneself. It's important to get accurate info regarding what the law is and how it is to be enforced. Surely you wouldn't discourage anyone from doing this.

I've learned that the response and information one gets from law enforcement (including dispatchers) varies alot and has more to do with their individual personalities, attitudes, levels of experience, knowledge, motivation and how busy they are at the time than with the particular complaint they're handling or law they're enforcing. Some are very helpful, positive and willing to do the right thing. Some are very busy. And some could care less. Somtimes you get an officer who is busy or could care less. The next time, you get someone helpful. If you were discouraged by the first officer you might not get the help the next officer brings.

If I hadn't known of the noise law here, the one deputy I dealt with would have told me there was no noise law and driven away with my problem unsolved. Because I was aware of the law, he reluctantly followed up and saved me alot of grief.

Obviously if one makes police complaints too often and without good reason and communicates ineffectively, they will get flagged as a nuisance. This appears totally not relevant here as,to the contrary, Holi appears reluctant to call the police at all. I hate to see her being discouraged from this option as it may well work for her if she were to call. She won't know until she tries. Someone else's experience may not be her experience. It's the luck of the draw and how convincingly she makes her case to the officer(s).

An earlier poster referred to going into the police station in person to get assistance with this situation which seems like a good idea if police response is poor.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 AM

16,056 posts, read 20,670,074 times
Mollyblythe, you are one tough lady. I would have been terrified, and probably moved. I want you on my side. But, I would not recommend doing this to Holi, or anyone else. Funny the psychology of groups of rough folks, you probably garnered respect cause that doesn't usually happen. For a single male, it might have been a different outcome.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 4,336,430 times
I didn't have time to read through this whole thread but boy can I feel the OP's pain.

I live in NYC and my last apartment was a first floor studio and the landlord lived above me (it was a private house). He used to have his grandchildren over EVERYDAY and there were at least 5 of them. It used to sound like they were coming through the ceiling!! I used to go absolutely nuts and actually took a broom to bang on the ceiling several times. It was torture.

I swore that I would never ever take a first floor apartment again. I will always be on the top floor. Right now I am in a private house on the second floor and it's just wonderful (although a lot of it has to do with the fact that my downstairs neighbor is super quiet and courteous). The people who lived down there before her were real low lives that liked to blast their surround sound stereo at all hours.

i

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM

369 posts, read 468,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Are you saying with absolute certainty that,as far as police are concerned, "this is a civil matter"? And that police will, under no circumstances, follow up on a noise complaint if they can't hear the noise from the curb? On the face of it this isn't logical. Otherwise there would be no noise ordinance outside the civil code.
Listen, I don't know about police in LA proper, but in Pasadena, I've had so many bad experiences with their laziness that I just have very little respect for them. Case in point: One time, I was being harassed by someone - a random, con artist someone who had somehow managed to get my telephone numbers and kept prank calling me with threatening calls - so I showed up at the police station to talk to someone and get some help. Not only did no one come out after I told them the situation and that I was concerned this person also knew where I lived, but they just said, "Well, go home and we'll send someone there shortly to take a report". That was around...3 p.m. By 10 p.m., no one had showed up! I called again and was like, "Hello?!" and they said, "Oh sorry, someone will get to you eventually" - they NEVER showed up..and this was when I said I was fearful for my safety! There have been other instances similar as far as my interaction with the city police, so I have absolutely NO faith in them doing something about this situation. And that's why, when the city police call my home for their annual "fund raiser," I hang up - because, are you kidding me?? They've never helped me out in my 12 years in this city!

As far as noise ordinance, it is pretty limited to "loud music" etc. but screaming loudly, child crying all day, and stomping around 24/7? Nothing.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I didn't have time to read through this whole thread but boy can I feel the OP's pain.

I live in NYC and my last apartment was a first floor studio and the landlord lived above me (it was a private house). He used to have his grandchildren over EVERYDAY and there were at least 5 of them. It used to sound like they were coming through the ceiling!! I used to go absolutely nuts and actually took a broom to bang on the ceiling several times. It was torture.

I swore that I would never ever take a first floor apartment again. I will always be on the top floor. Right now I am in a private house on the second floor and it's just wonderful (although a lot of it has to do with the fact that my downstairs neighbor is super quiet and courteous). The people who lived down there before her were real low lives that liked to blast their surround sound stereo at all hours.

i
Yep - crappy, inconsiderate neighbors can make like hell. I'm glad you have a better place now.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,617,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Listen, I don't know about police in LA proper, but in Pasadena, I've had so many bad experiences with their laziness that I just have very little respect for them. Case in point: One time, I was being harassed by someone - a random, con artist someone who had somehow managed to get my telephone numbers and kept prank calling me with threatening calls - so I showed up at the police station to talk to someone and get some help. Not only did no one come out after I told them the situation and that I was concerned this person also knew where I lived, but they just said, "Well, go home and we'll send someone there shortly to take a report". That was around...3 p.m. By 10 p.m., no one had showed up! I called again and was like, "Hello?!" and they said, "Oh sorry, someone will get to you eventually" - they NEVER showed up..and this was when I said I was fearful for my safety! There have been other instances similar as far as my interaction with the city police, so I have absolutely NO faith in them doing something about this situation. And that's why, when the city police call my home for their annual "fund raiser," I hang up - because, are you kidding me?? They've never helped me out in my 12 years in this city!

As far as noise ordinance, it is pretty limited to "loud music" etc. but screaming loudly, child crying all day, and stomping around 24/7? Nothing.
Tell me about LA cops... the only people who can count on their protection are the ones who live in places like Beverly Hills/West LA. In the rest of LA... nobody gives a rat's tail. If you get assaulted on Sunset boulevard and call the cops.... they'll arrive--that if they ever arrive.... in 2-3 hours. Good juck seeking "justice". People who live outside the area don't know what the LA reality is.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM

2,541 posts, read 4,336,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Tell me about LA cops... the only people who can count on their protection are the ones who live in places like Beverly Hills/West LA. In the rest of LA... nobody gives a rat's tail. If you get assaulted on Sunset boulevard and call the cops.... they'll arrive--that if they ever arrive.... in 2-3 hours. Good juck seeking "justice". People who live outside the area don't know what the LA reality is.
Wow-I'm surprised to hear this. Makes NYPD sound on the ball.

I'm hoping to move to CA in the next few years....and I admit, I am dreading the idea of living in an apartment complex....just too many opportunities for rude neighbors and aggravation.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:08 PM

This might a bit off track - insofar as it's not about noise, per se - but this is an online review someone has written about another apartment (not mine!) and how the authorities "handled" it:

"The Los Angeles County Board of Health did balls to help us with this [rat infestation] situation. They claimed they couldn't do anything about the vermin in our apartment unless there was rat/mice feces present. Even if a dead rat was laying there in front of them, they said we just could have put it there ourselves. OK, I just didn't think to save the smelly, unsanitary poo our friends left us, what was I thinking? We were only asphyxiating from the fumes, but you're right; we should have waited to clean it until AFTER you came, which only took two weeks after my initial phone call."

And this is about the size of it for the police, too...which is why I'm not even trying that route. Literally, they'd have to have a dead body in front of them to even think of lifting a finger, and my noisey neighbors would be nothing problematic in their eyes.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:26 PM

497 posts, read 1,334,287 times
After you move, have you thought about small claims court? You may get back enough to offset part of the costs for moving to a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or