U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 02:55 PM

6,201 posts, read 8,022,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
After you move, have you thought about small claims court? You may get back enough to offset part of the costs for moving to a new place.

That would depend on the terms of the rental agreement.
Most state that tenants are entitled to quiet enjoyment, and that point is usually presumed by most tenants but, this particular management may not have that clause in their agreements.
If it isn't in the agreement, collecting any monies out of a claim for noise would be at best, futile.
Usually in a landlord/tenant case, the first thing a judge wants to see is a rental lease, or agreement.
Any attorney could argue there is no basis for a claim if the lease did not stipulate quiet enjoyment, even though it is expected by all who rent.
It may not seem right, or moral, but a judgement MUST be decided on the evidence provided, and if the lease, or agreement does not stipulate quiet enjoyment, one would be out of luck trying to collect any financial compensation.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,103,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Listen, I don't know about police in LA proper, but in Pasadena, I've had so many bad experiences with their laziness that I just have very little respect for them. Case in point: One time, I was being harassed by someone - a random, con artist someone who had somehow managed to get my telephone numbers and kept prank calling me with threatening calls - so I showed up at the police station to talk to someone and get some help. Not only did no one come out after I told them the situation and that I was concerned this person also knew where I lived, but they just said, "Well, go home and we'll send someone there shortly to take a report". That was around...3 p.m. By 10 p.m., no one had showed up! I called again and was like, "Hello?!" and they said, "Oh sorry, someone will get to you eventually" - they NEVER showed up..and this was when I said I was fearful for my safety! There have been other instances similar as far as my interaction with the city police, so I have absolutely NO faith in them doing something about this situation. And that's why, when the city police call my home for their annual "fund raiser," I hang up - because, are you kidding me?? They've never helped me out in my 12 years in this city!

As far as noise ordinance, it is pretty limited to "loud music" etc. but screaming loudly, child crying all day, and stomping around 24/7? Nothing.
Holi- I certainly see why you wouldn't want to call PD given your experiences!

It's very frustrating here dealing with law enforcement personnel. Like running a gauntlet. The message is often akin to "Why are you bothering us with such a minor problem that everbody puts up with?" That's why I've had to overcome some of my fears of standing up for myself to get things done. I wonder if dealing with law enforcement is facile anywhere?

Your post illustrates how awful it is to be vulnerable, to seek help and to get the brush-off as if you (and your well-being) don't matter. So sorry.

"To protect and to serve."

I understand now why you're looking at Plan B or Plan C.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 PM

369 posts, read 468,626 times
I just spent the past 30 minutes looking online for some law/code about the "right to quiet enjoyment". Apparently, it is an implied code with rentals in CA, but it is more strictly enforced in San Francisco, based on all the discussions. I didn't see anything on it being enforced in Los Angeles (big surprise), so unless my lease says something about it - I'll have to check - it might be a moot point.

Another question: What's North Alhambra like for living? I'm not a huge fan of Alhambra, but sometimes, it seems you can find very similar accommodations as in the middle of Pasadena, but for a more reasonable price (obviously, location being key).

Old 01-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Mollyblythe, you are one tough lady. I would have been terrified, and probably moved. I want you on my side. But, I would not recommend doing this to Holi, or anyone else. Funny the psychology of groups of rough folks, you probably garnered respect cause that doesn't usually happen. For a single male, it might have been a different outcome.
Jan- I absolutely agree with you on everything except my being a tough lady. When I drove by that house, I thought all the partygoers were in the well-lit building at the back of the property where the music was blasting. Boy, was I surprised to suddenly be surrounded on the dark public street at the front of the place.

I knew I couldn't run them over so I did the only thing I could think to do.

I've learned in my evolution from a semi-wuss to a semi-assertive person that it has never done any good to talk to the offender. I would still make the effort if I felt like the people weren't a threat but definitely wouldn't confront intimidating types and double definitely not late at night.

Holi already had the courage to speak to her neighbors and got a likely response. She shouldn't have to go back and speak to them again herself.

I agree with you about it being a man instead of me in that situation. Years ago I worked at a large adult residential facility. Female staff generally were able to address problems with male residents without stirring up that macho bravado thing. Troublemakers were much more likely to try and fight with male staff members.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 PM

6,201 posts, read 8,022,864 times
Holli, what is the square footage of the unit you are currently living in?
I may have a one bedroom house coming up soon.
Bob.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 AM

Default Pasadena Code of Ordinances

Holi- This may be of little help but I found the Pasadena Code of Ordinances on the municode website.

9.36.060 discusses noise limits in multifamily residential property. The decibel limit is 60 decibels (dBA) 7am-10pm and 50 (dBA) 10pm-7am inside any unit on the same property as the unit where the noise originates. I think Radio Shack and other electronics places have decibel meters if you want to document levels.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Holi- This may be of little help but I found the Pasadena Code of Ordinances on the municode website.

9.36.060 discusses noise limits in multifamily residential property. The decibel limit is 60 decibels (dBA) 7am-10pm and 50 (dBA) 10pm-7am inside any unit on the same property as the unit where the noise originates. I think Radio Shack and other electronics places have decibel meters if you want to document levels.
I don't know how loud that is...but would it pick up stomping feet? I dunno.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 PM

Hi, everyone.

UPDATE: I have been really busy looking at properties every single night after work. Nothing has come up that's worth the asking price, but last night I saw 2 properties and well...one was scary bad, and the other was not bad, until I opened the bedroom blinds and found myself looking into the building hallway. That's the 2nd time I've seen that in a building...who came up with that stooopid design? ! I felt like I was in prison. This means I could NEVER open my shades because anyone walking past could see into my bedroom.....so, that didn't work out, either.

Today, back to square one, searching...searching. The listings were slim today; not sure what the rise and decline of available listings are based on, but found nothing today.

I'm going to keep looking. But I'm exhausted...days and nights blending into one another, my work suffering as a result of my anxiety and sleeplessness. It's good times over here in Pasadena! (not)

So..that's where its at.

Thanks for all your friendly responses - I appreciate all of them. I feel supported in my quest to find my next peaceful home. I will update as things happen, whatever they may be...

Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,500,720 times
Saga kind of bolsters the case for finding a room in a big, comfy, safe house. Beats these sketchy apartment buildings and crazy managers.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Saga kind of bolsters the case for finding a room in a big, comfy, safe house. Beats these sketchy apartment buildings and crazy managers.
Where is this house? I'd like to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or