U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 PM

6,185 posts, read 8,001,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Exactly, but it seems many people are of the same mind - I can't seem to find a top floor unit anywhere, and LLs keep trying to sell the middle floors, "But it's very quiet..." Nooooo way!

Why not look for a single detached house instead of an apartment.
You could find some in the price range you are comfortable with.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 AM

369 posts, read 467,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz0 View Post
I ended up just moving. My nightmare ends in two weeks. Hope yours is over soon, too, Holi.
Thank you...I still have hope it will!

Old 01-15-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Why not look for a single detached house instead of an apartment. You could find some in the price range you are comfortable with.
Bob.
I am, thank you, Bob.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM

38,111 posts, read 34,132,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Tell me about LA cops... the only people who can count on their protection are the ones who live in places like Beverly Hills/West LA. In the rest of LA... nobody gives a rat's tail. If you get assaulted on Sunset boulevard and call the cops.... they'll arrive--that if they ever arrive.... in 2-3 hours. Good juck seeking "justice". People who live outside the area don't know what the LA reality is.
Sounds like you should move. The list of stuff you are afraid of is long.

To the OP you should record their noise and play it back through a speaker bolted to the ceiling. Preferably when they are trying to sleep.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 PM

Wow, the obnoxious neighbors were away for the long weekend and it was peaceful like when my previous neighbor lived up there. They've returned today and so has their herd of elephants!!

I've already banged on the wall several times - they stop, and then they begin to clomp around again. My neck is hurting from all the tension - they stomp so loud, I jump every time they enter a room.

I'm going to write a note to KEEP QUIET and post it on their door - for the neighbors to see. I will also fax a copy to the main office. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for places.

Renting in this neighborhood is cut-throat. If you don't run out and see an apartment immediately, as it's listed, it's gone. Wow.

I hate these people above - it's not normal how they walk.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,759,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Wow, the obnoxious neighbors were away for the long weekend and it was peaceful like when my previous neighbor lived up there. They've returned today and so has their herd of elephants!!

I've already banged on the wall several times - they stop, and then they begin to clomp around again. My neck is hurting from all the tension - they stomp so loud, I jump every time they enter a room.

I'm going to write a note to KEEP QUIET and post it on their door - for the neighbors to see. I will also fax a copy to the main office. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for places.

Renting in this neighborhood is cut-throat. If you don't run out and see an apartment immediately, as it's listed, it's gone. Wow.

I hate these people above - it's not normal how they walk.
I am happy to see you are going proactive. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM

Just an update - STILL looking for apartments. Wow, do people exaggerate in their advertisements. I almost settled on one place in SE Pasadena...but luckily was there late enough to find out my next door neighbors had TWINS (in their terrible 2's) and they were screaming the entire time I was there. So I passed on the place.

Since then, rental ads have been repeating a lot - same old, same old. It's a very tiring/discouraging experience, trying to find the right apartment under pressure of noisy neighbors.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Angry Neighbors From HE**

Per my previous post, the awful mess continues.

The neighbors have gotten worse, and more BOLD with their crappy behavior. I do believe that they are trying to be EXTRA noisy, in the hopes that I will move. I talked to the property management today and she said that the neighbors have gone to her several times, claiming I had gone up to their apartment and harassed them.

Um, I went up there ONCE and asked nicely if they could keep the noise down. That was 6 months ago. And they apparently told other lies, such as my tv is too loud (I barely watch tv, and it's often at a low volume while I read, because I only like it as background noise), and that I told them not to shower so early in the morning....W.T.F.?! Such lies!

The sad thing is, the idiot management person tells me - the quiet, non-problematic tenant of TEN years who always pays her rent on time - that she doesn't know WHO to believe. Excuse me? I have a decade's worth of history with this building/tenants and there have NEVER been any issues. These people are brand new, out of nowhere, and they are a NIGHTMARE to live below.

So she said she won't "get in the middle" of things and we should all go to city mediation, or that if the noise is so bad, I should call the police. OR, "someone" should move - she meant me. I said, excuse ME, so I'm the one being bothered since these people moved in and you're hinting that I should move?! She said, well SOMEONE might want to, if they are uncomfortable with the noise level. I said, did you tell THEM that?? She said, yes and they said nothing because they don't WANT to move. Obviously. I asked if there were quiet hours in the building and she said yes, 10 pm-8 a.m. I said then how come they are playing hopscotch up there at 1 a.m., 2 a.m., 4 a.m., 6 a.m., and all the hours in between?? She said, I don't know what to tell you. I said, tell THEM to keep it down!! She said, I already did. I said, well they are not respecting what you said to them, and she said, I don't know who to believe because they say you are noisy. UM.

So, I think the neighbors' plan of attack is to make all kinds of unbelievable, random noise at all hours so that I'll get sick of this and move. Clearly, they are also making up outlandish lies to management, who for some reason seems to believe them.

Mind you, I HAVE been looking for months to move but can't find a reasonable/nice enough place that would work so far. I'm looking EVERY day, and been doing so since October. I am so tired all the time from lack of sleep, the stress, and because of these people, I'm getting ill. I can barely function during the day.

I don't know what to do, short of going upstairs and REALLY screaming at them - which I won't do, because I think the wife upstairs is CRAZY and they might do something worse next time.

Anyone have thoughts on this?? OR, anyone want to take these morons on for me, PLEASE?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 5,773 times
Well I feel for you, similiar situation happened (actually been there quite a few times in my life that I've had to experience living next door to inconsiderate, noisey people ....I/we seem to attract it, not wanting it),

Here goes my true horror story & I'm sorry but my story's really long

I'll try to do it in parts:

Part 1:

We found a family that rented a room attached to the house (hallway to bedrooms, from Living room, but it did have a private entrance as well) & said it was only going to be the parents, a 26 year son still living at home, we were told they had pets, two small dogs & occasional visits from their other son, girlfriend & granddaughter. We were also told it was quiet because the man gets up really early to commute far. Also were told we on occasion could use the stove & the laundry room. The room itself had its own bathroom, an extra bonus room (could be a storage room, or a living room/kitchen-which we turned it into). We moved in.

First night was peace/quiet, although the family were out of town. The second night, we were told one of the sons was coming back, we came home that night & went to bed early, only to be awoken by two people, apparently the son & one of the husbands of the kids that moved out - he was actually not to noisy at all. The other son however, it was the beginning of nonstop noise level that would never get resolved, he was 26, worked pt, parents had no control over him, & he was spoiled he pushed his limits w/everyone in the household & got away, found out both parents were on meds, so them being sedated kept them from actually hearing what went on at night (loud music, cell phone calls on speaker, (Xbox) w/loud volume, the son himself making a racket ea night, singing & crying loud, slamming doors (which they all did), clearing throat like a billy goat, just disgusting,& they all did that..oh the main reason being that they all did that (not to mention the nice little surprise that was failed to have been mentioned) is that the mother smoked.....not always outside, mostly inside the house, which explains why all the family members that were living there (& possibly grand daughter & pets) were subjected to second hand smoke on a daily basis...that was totally unfair to us, our lungs (not to mention I do believe people sue for that) & was one of the reasons ontop of other reasons we moved out quickly.

Last edited by American Vintage; 03-06-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,773 times
Part 2:

That following weekend we quickly set up our room/bonus room & finally settled, things slowly started to get worse (ontop of the noise level).

I asked if I could do laundry, (which I was told early on it would be ok ) but then the facial expression on the mom's face was like "sure you can, but it will have to be at night" the voice clearly showed she didn't really want me to (like saying yes, but it sounds like "NO!"). Also offered was kitchen privileges, which she said, "well u can, but prefer not too often, maybe after I'm done, check w/me (& the look was the same w/the laundry, obviously not a genuine gesture. So we ended up eating out or using the microwave...it was really getting expensive. So later came a suggestion from the mother & father, they had an extra stove & said we could borrow it, but we had to use propane. (husband kept going in circles w/discussion of hooking it to a gas line, the bottom line looking at it now, they didn't want us to use that either)....so there started the pattern of things being offered in the rental terms and then changing (all this happening right after we moved in)

In the meantime, the noise level was unbelievable. One night they were all gone, the dogs were left home alone in the living room, barking all night. It was kinda clear they did not want us in their house, so we rarely opened our door to the hallway (unless they knocked, which did they randomly w/no warning). Bad thing? The dogs barked all night, even when the son was home, he never quieted them or attempted to at all, leaving us w/another sleepless night.

Other nights, it was the son coming home at all hours of the night, no matter what day/work day or weekend, making alot of noise (singing, laughing, crying - mariachi cry's, belching, slamming the doors, talking to his homies on the cell w/speaker phone on loud, it just went on & on).....mom & dad were there, but did nothing, although they were sedated by meds to even notice.

The following weekend they had relatives over, barbecuing & drinking, playing music. We hid in our space the whole time doing our thing, but they ended up making us come out & hang out with them, party, break bread, that whole thing, we did, thought it would be a good thing, gesture & maybe they'd get to know us more & feel more comfortable w/us, as we wanted to with them, so we could discuss a few things w/them.......We talked to them, dranked, conversated. We thought everything went well, & apparently that was the last time we'd ever be invited to come hang out & felt honestly that they were offended by something we either said or did, because the communication started to taper off into not hardly talking to them at all.....it was very loud and clear they didn't want to have any communication w/us, unless they had to speak to us, like we really did something wrong....but we didn't. We acted what appeared to be normal, maybe we weren't wild enough, or ghetto enough, don't know, don't care at this point, but back then, living there, it started to feel uncomfortable...

Last edited by American Vintage; 03-06-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or