U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM

24 posts, read 39,462 times

Advertisements

i feel for you...i always had roommate/neighbor problems when i lived in Hollywood...i swear once the people beside me had animals in their apt...and dogs/cats but something with hooves...good luck...there is nothing worse in life like crummy neighbors and toothaches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM

369 posts, read 468,387 times
Thanks everyone. I did try one bit of passive-aggressive tactic the morning after the elephant wife stomped and banged things around until 3 a.m. I woke up at 7:30 a.m. for work and decided since she didn't let me sleep, I thought she should be awake when I had to get up for work! She is a stay-at-home, bon bon popping, lazy...well, you get the picture, so she was sleeping when I got up. So I turned on my tv to Good Morning America and blasted it for 30 minutes, while I ot ready for work. When I spoke with the useless management later in the day about these people making a lot of noise at night, she said the wife had stopped by management's office only hours before and complained that MY tv is "always" loud. :shock: Always! This was the only time, and that, in retaliation because they don't care how noisy they ate all day/night! But the elephant wife is soooo quick to report me, in person, to the office for that one act!

As far as the police...they don't normally respond unless they can hear loud music outside the door, etc., so how can I report "intentional" stomping and banging things around at night? Pasadena police is pretty unresponsive, too, btw...unless you catch on fire.

Every day, I notice the price of apartments in my area going up higher, and there are less options out there. I also resent the fact that I have to be the one who must move from my home of 11 years, instead if these bozos who mived in less tan a year ago! But what else to do? These people are boorish and trashy, and I'm no match for that type of personality. And no, my apartment isn't rent controlled.

Thanks or the responses. Please share any other ideas.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:12 PM

126 posts, read 563,318 times
Don't get in a noise-making match. It will bite you in the butt. In fact, I would try to be more quiet. If you have a video camera that records sound nicely, take some samplings of the noisiness to your management. With proper evidence you can threaten a breach of lease with your current landlord without necessarily having to move out. That might get management working. It sounds like if you moved out the landlord would stand to make more money by increasing the rent for the new tenant. Keep that in mind.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM

6,195 posts, read 8,017,170 times
Holi, I find it hard to believe you couldn't find suitable housing in the time you first posted about this.
Perhaps when looking for alternate housing, you are being too picky.
What is it that is holding you to your current housing?
Obviously you are aware things are never going to change there, so why has it taken you so long to move out.
Being in the rental market, I know exactly what the market is, and it is overwhelmingly a renter's market today.
You can practically name your own price, or at least, negotiate a fair value for a new place to live.
I feel if you REALLY wanted to move, you would have done it as soon as you knew things would never change in your current situation.
It is kind of like being in an abusive relationship.
I just evicted a couple last week that were in an abusive relationship.
They always gave the same answer when I would ask, "Why don't you two separate?"
They "loved each other"".
Oh pleese, that is not love, and I honestly believe you can't possibly love your unit enough to put up with this crap, no matter how long you have been there.
There is an old saying you would do well to think about, and that is, "Nothing last forever", and that includes the comfortable living situation you enjoyed for a number of years.
Things change, and one has to change with them.
If I were in your situation, I would put my stuff in storage, and live in a hotel until I found a suitable place.
Obviously in all this time, either you like the situation you are in, and crave the attention from people on this forum, or you are just to dammed picky about relocating.
Either way, it reeks of an abusive relationship you seem happy to put up with ,despite what you post here to the contrary.
I usually call them as I see them girl, and this is how I read it.
Bob.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 54,225 times
I have to agree w/Calguy, I've been there myself, have had my beef w/Property Management myself, but bottomline, you should have been out by now if its that bad, the person who wrote the play by play horror story of their own ordeal (lmfao, it was funny) but they moved on too, so should you already, whats the holdup??

Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 PM

6,333 posts, read 15,794,318 times
Obviously, I'm not Holi, but I was in a very similar situation a few years ago. It took me four months of off and on looking to find my new place. My old apartment was under rent control, so I was paying $300 below market rates. I decided that if I was going to have to pay that much more, then I wanted it to be exactly what I wanted. Yes, I was picky. It's truly amazing how many awful apartments are out there. I kept a list, and this is what I found:

1. Severe lack of storage (two places only had a small closet in each bedroom!).
2. Very small square footage; you'd be lucky to be able to fit a double bed and dresser in the "master" bedroom. The other bedroom was more like a prison cell.
3. No assigned parking space.
4. Windows that looked into another building's windows, or down on the dumpster, etc.
5. Apartments that hadn't even been cleaned; stains on the carpets, dirty bathtubs...
6. Exterior grounds that weren't clean and well groomed (if this is the way the place is kept up, I can imagine how maintenance requests are handled!).
7. Window a/c units that looked original (and the building was built in the 50s or 60s!).
8. Traffic so loud it sounded like the street was in the living room!

I could go on, but you get the picture. I could have just made do, but I didn't want to take anything. I waited, and I was patient, even when I got discouraged. I'm glad now that I didn't settle for anything, because I'm very happy where I am now. It turned out to be only a mile away from where I used to live.

I can see where Holi is coming from. Of course, at some point you have to just take the leap of faith and go for it, but not until you find something that really fits what you're looking for. Otherwise, you'll still be miserable, only in a different way.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 AM

1,648 posts, read 1,874,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
When I spoke with the useless management later in the day about these people making a lot of noise at night, she said the wife had stopped by management's office only hours before and complained that MY tv is "always" loud. :shock: Always! This was the only time, and that, in retaliation because they don't care how noisy they ate all day/night! But the elephant wife is soooo quick to report me, in person, to the office for that one act!
Isn't that always the case with inconsiderate loser neighbors? They are usually the biggest crybabies when anything happens to them.

I had a neighbor that used to block the whole apt complex driveway every weekend with his friends fixed up cars.

They used to park 8-10 cars blocking everybody's garage so nobody could get in or leave.

Then one day we parked in front of our garage while we were moving a few things in the morning. The guy had the nerve to leave a message on our windshield saying "please do not park here, I can't get my car out of the garage."

The next time all his friends showed up, I called the police and the cops made them move it or get towed away.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,443,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Isn't that always the case with inconsiderate loser neighbors? They are usually the biggest crybabies when anything happens to them.

I had a neighbor that used to block the whole apt complex driveway every weekend with his friends fixed up cars.

They used to park 8-10 cars blocking everybody's garage so nobody could get in or leave.

Then one day we parked in front of our garage while we were moving a few things in the morning. The guy had the nerve to leave a message on our windshield saying "please do not park here, I can't get my car out of the garage."

The next time all his friends showed up, I called the police and the cops made them move it or get towed away.
I despise people like those..

Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 AM

9,197 posts, read 14,495,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Holi, I find it hard to believe you couldn't find suitable housing in the time you first posted about this.
Perhaps when looking for alternate housing, you are being too picky.
Anything that doesn't share walls with random people would be a massive upgrade from the present situation.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 PM

369 posts, read 468,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Obviously, I'm not Holi, but I was in a very similar situation a few years ago. It took me four months of off and on looking to find my new place. My old apartment was under rent control, so I was paying $300 below market rates. I decided that if I was going to have to pay that much more, then I wanted it to be exactly what I wanted. Yes, I was picky. It's truly amazing how many awful apartments are out there. I kept a list, and this is what I found:

1. Severe lack of storage (two places only had a small closet in each bedroom!).
2. Very small square footage; you'd be lucky to be able to fit a double bed and dresser in the "master" bedroom. The other bedroom was more like a prison cell.
3. No assigned parking space.
4. Windows that looked into another building's windows, or down on the dumpster, etc.
5. Apartments that hadn't even been cleaned; stains on the carpets, dirty bathtubs...
6. Exterior grounds that weren't clean and well groomed (if this is the way the place is kept up, I can imagine how maintenance requests are handled!).
7. Window a/c units that looked original (and the building was built in the 50s or 60s!).
8. Traffic so loud it sounded like the street was in the living room!

I could go on, but you get the picture. I could have just made do, but I didn't want to take anything. I waited, and I was patient, even when I got discouraged. I'm glad now that I didn't settle for anything, because I'm very happy where I am now. It turned out to be only a mile away from where I used to live.

I can see where Holi is coming from. Of course, at some point you have to just take the leap of faith and go for it, but not until you find something that really fits what you're looking for. Otherwise, you'll still be miserable, only in a different way.
^^THIS.

Exactly why I haven't found a place yet. Or was about to sign the lease and found the a/c wasn't working and was told it wasn't going to be fixed. Or the place was dirty from a previous 20-year tenant's stay and the management wasn't going to clean it (yuck!). And yea, it's frustrating, but I can't put myself in a worse-off situation. That's not wise...in any situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or