U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 PM

369 posts, read 467,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Anything that doesn't share walls with random people would be a massive upgrade from the present situation.
Exactly...and this seems to be the holy grail of apartments to find. I won't do a costly move, only to be worse off. That's not practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,100,459 times
Have you checked on? :

Citizen's arrest- the police do it based on your complaint. The officers don't have to hear the noise themselves. You're the complainant. You must be willing to go to court to testify. Under the circumstances, I would be there with bells on and with any proof you can provide (written complaints/responses to/from management, tape recordings, decibel readings, affidavits from neighbors). Just the complaint itself will probably pipe them down. If they file against you,it will appear retaliatory. Get affidavits from other neighbors saying you aren't noisy and ask for proof of your "noisiness" from the offenders.

Find a reasonable attorney and get a "cease and desist letter"- this will probably cost no more than one month's rent increase in a new apt.

These are the most likely effective solutions I see now to get the job done. They make offenders want to move if they're in a position to do so. You owe it to yourself to try these options.

Neither reasoning nor screaming works with these types. You have to lower the boom of "authority" on them or make them way more uncomfortable than they make you (which would often make you look as guilty as they are).

As long as you're staying where you are, suffering and not sure if/when you're going to move, the name of the game is to collect proof/evidence so you have a little something in addition to your self-report

[I read on another site of someone who attached a motion detector with a subwoofer to their ceiling. Only when the upstairs neighbor clomped around or made noise, the subwoofer boomed. Neither the offending neighbor nor the other neighbors could tell where the sound was coming from. Kind of like aversion therapy It worked even when the offended neighbor was at work or out. The offenders moved in short order. If you're not a handy, tech type, you would have to find somebody to do it.]

Last edited by mollyblythe; 03-13-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,614,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
^^THIS.

Exactly why I haven't found a place yet. Or was about to sign the lease and found the a/c wasn't working and was told it wasn't going to be fixed. Or the place was dirty from a previous 20-year tenant's stay and the management wasn't going to clean it (yuck!). And yea, it's frustrating, but I can't put myself in a worse-off situation. That's not wise...in any situation.
I think you need to come to accept that you may have to invest a little bit (cleaning or getting own window A/C) in a place that otherwise is suitable (window view, location). You aren't going to find a perfect place unless you're willing to pay even more. As to you being driven out... this is reality of life here: people are driven out of own homes via foreclosures, losing everything, neighborhoods deteriorate and go downhill because of the kind of people who move in, renters are disposable to the landlords (try SF Bay area --the most horrible rental market in the country!)--so it's just the way it is... even if you were a condo owner, your neighbors could bring renters who could bother you and make your life in your own condo miserable (like smoking close to your windows), forcing to sell. If you can rent a cottage somewhere it's always better than crowded apartment situation...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sounds like you should move. The list of stuff you are afraid of is long.

To the OP you should record their noise and play it back through a speaker bolted to the ceiling. Preferably when they are trying to sleep.
Excute me? Me move? I don't live in a LA for a long time. Please save your advice for yourself.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 PM

You may consider renting a guesthouse somewhere... I think it's a nice option, as it's cheaper than a house but gives a lot of privacy, and no one is on top of or under your place. Guesthouses can be priced similar to apartments.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM

362 posts, read 723,426 times
Quote:
^^THIS.

Exactly why I haven't found a place yet. Or was about to sign the lease and found the a/c wasn't working and was told it wasn't going to be fixed. Or the place was dirty from a previous 20-year tenant's stay and the management wasn't going to clean it (yuck!). And yea, it's frustrating, but I can't put myself in a worse-off situation. That's not wise...in any situation.
Dude if you find a place and the deal breaker is the initial cleaning, Maggy Maid will clean the living Moderator cut: language out of a place for like $300... well worth the upfront cost given your dire situation.

Last edited by Count David; 03-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,999,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Dude if you find a place and the deal breaker is the initial cleaning, Maggy Maid will clean the living Moderator cut: language out of a place for like $300... well worth the upfront cost given your dire situation.

"Dire situation"?
I hardly think so at this point.
After 17 pages of advice, she still hasn't solved the problem of moving?
Why do I get the feeling this is a cry for attention?
Bob.

Last edited by Count David; 03-15-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,695,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Have you checked on? :

Citizen's arrest- the police do it based on your complaint. The officers don't have to hear the noise themselves. You're the complainant. You must be willing to go to court to testify. Under the circumstances, I would be there with bells on and with any proof you can provide (written complaints/responses to/from management, tape recordings, decibel readings, affidavits from neighbors). Just the complaint itself will probably pipe them down. If they file against you,it will appear retaliatory. Get affidavits from other neighbors saying you aren't noisy and ask for proof of your "noisiness" from the offenders.

Find a reasonable attorney and get a "cease and desist letter"- this will probably cost no more than one month's rent increase in a new apt.

These are the most likely effective solutions I see now to get the job done. They make offenders want to move if they're in a position to do so. You owe it to yourself to try these options.

Neither reasoning nor screaming works with these types. You have to lower the boom of "authority" on them or make them way more uncomfortable than they make you (which would often make you look as guilty as they are).

As long as you're staying where you are, suffering and not sure if/when you're going to move, the name of the game is to collect proof/evidence so you have a little something in addition to your self-report

[I read on another site of someone who attached a motion detector with a subwoofer to their ceiling. Only when the upstairs neighbor clomped around or made noise, the subwoofer boomed. Neither the offending neighbor nor the other neighbors could tell where the sound was coming from. Kind of like aversion therapy It worked even when the offended neighbor was at work or out. The offenders moved in short order. If you're not a handy, tech type, you would have to find somebody to do it.]
It's really not that serious, especially if you're a RENTER.

LA has a TON of apartments for rent. Will the OP have to pay more? Probably, but so what?

Why go through all of what you listed if you don't OWN the place?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,695,812 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I did try one bit of passive-aggressive tactic the morning after the elephant wife stomped and banged things around until 3 a.m. I woke up at 7:30 a.m. for work and decided since she didn't let me sleep, I thought she should be awake when I had to get up for work! She is a stay-at-home, bon bon popping, lazy...well, you get the picture, so she was sleeping when I got up. So I turned on my tv to Good Morning America and blasted it for 30 minutes, while I ot ready for work. When I spoke with the useless management later in the day about these people making a lot of noise at night, she said the wife had stopped by management's office only hours before and complained that MY tv is "always" loud. :shock: Always! This was the only time, and that, in retaliation because they don't care how noisy they ate all day/night! But the elephant wife is soooo quick to report me, in person, to the office for that one act!

As far as the police...they don't normally respond unless they can hear loud music outside the door, etc., so how can I report "intentional" stomping and banging things around at night? Pasadena police is pretty unresponsive, too, btw...unless you catch on fire.

Every day, I notice the price of apartments in my area going up higher, and there are less options out there. I also resent the fact that I have to be the one who must move from my home of 11 years, instead if these bozos who mived in less tan a year ago! But what else to do? These people are boorish and trashy, and I'm no match for that type of personality. And no, my apartment isn't rent controlled.

Thanks or the responses. Please share any other ideas.
There are no other ideas.

You're only option is to MOVE or put up with it.

This is the price you pay for living in an apartment. Most apartment dwellers know this.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM

362 posts, read 723,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
"Dire situation"?
I hardly think so at this point.
After 17 pages of advice, she still hasn't solved the problem of moving?
Why do I get the feeling this is a cry for attention?
Bob.
Yeah, I meant to italicize that word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or