U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,478,920 times
Reputation: 6333

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
You might consider calling Child Protective Services: DCFS - Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services - Contact Us

A child constantly crying and not in school is a BIG red flag.
Bingo.

Mom screaming back at her constantly screaming, mysteriously-out-of-school child is another BIG red flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,187 posts, read 8,004,068 times
Reputation: 7946
I really feel sorry for your situation.
If possible, contact the owner of the building and voice your concerns,and tell them management will no do anything to address the problem.
If you don't know the owner's name, or address, go to the county recorder's office, or web site, and see who owns your property.
Just what area do you live in, and where are you looking for a new place?
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 02:00 AM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,002 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I really feel sorry for your situation.
If possible, contact the owner of the building and voice your concerns,and tell them management will no do anything to address the problem.
If you don't know the owner's name, or address, go to the county recorder's office, or web site, and see who owns your property.
Just what area do you live in, and where are you looking for a new place?
Bob.
Hi Bob and thanks.

I live in Pasadena, walking distance from Old Town (South of Colorado, if you know the area). I love my neighborhood, love my street, know people - including businesses, doctors, etc. - for years (ok, 10 but that's a lot for LA) and I want to move somewhere on my own street, if I have to move at all! I've looked into places on my street and they're $400+ more in rent for a lot less space. Unless I move away from LA - no such plans currently - I want to stay where I am. I've already looked at a few places within streets of where I am, but they are so crappy for the price! I've still been looking every day for 3 months, but January is not a huge vacancy time. Plus, if I move closer to the PCC/Caltech areas, then I have to contend with student noise...and no, thank you!

I wrote a letter to the Management office tonight and faxed it over. If they don't do anything, and they have a reputation for exactly that, I may search out the property owners. But, from what I've heard, they are even worse than management.

Unfortunately, this company manages some of the nicest properties in the area, so all the places I like and the things I look for in a place (central air, secure building, gated parking, lots of closet space, good use of sq. footage, bigger kitchens, 1.5 baths, large bedrooms, safe area, and quiet yet lively neighborhood - and with my current troubles...an upstairs unit with no one above), are under their ownership so I don't want to tick them off completely...in case.

I had to do the banging thing on the wall tonight... Never had to do that before and hate disturbing my downstairs neighbor with that sound, too. We'll see what happens in response to my letter...if anything.

I've seen a couple of places in S. Pasadena, too...but I really gel better with the Pasadena vibe, so I would hate to move...but I also hate not sleeping, ya know?

Last edited by HoliWood; 01-04-2012 at 02:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM
 
497 posts, read 1,333,401 times
Reputation: 300
Your being too nice...Call the Police and Child Services about the screaming. Maybe they will take the kid away and the parents will shut up.

Stop talking to the Management co and contact the building owner. The management co is blowing you off. Tell the owner you have lost "quiet enjoyment" of your unit due to the noise. I'd ask the other neighbors if they are hearing this and approach the owner as a group requesting they evict the tenant. An owner would not want to see 2-3 tenants move because of the management co's poor screening process. They should have been reluctant to rent a 2nd floor unit to a family with young kid. At the least, they should have put them on the 1st floor.

When an individual lives in an apartment unit, they need to respect the neighbors on each side, above and below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,002 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Your being too nice...Call the Police and Child Services about the screaming. Maybe they will take the kid away and the parents will shut up.

Stop talking to the Management co and contact the building owner. The management co is blowing you off. Tell the owner you have lost "quiet enjoyment" of your unit due to the noise. I'd ask the other neighbors if they are hearing this and approach the owner as a group requesting they evict the tenant. An owner would not want to see 2-3 tenants move because of the management co's poor screening process. They should have been reluctant to rent a 2nd floor unit to a family with young kid. At the least, they should have put them on the 1st floor.

When an individual lives in an apartment unit, they need to respect the neighbors on each side, above and below.
Maybe so, Gregg. The other neighbors won't want to interfere. My building is the type where most people keep to themselves (which I prefer, anyway). I have sent my letter of complaint to the main management company, and next, it will be the owners (but as I said, I've heard they're worse than management).

Just waiting today to see what happens in response..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,417 posts, read 10,987,985 times
Reputation: 5616
Call the cops, seriously. You are lucky in a way that they are making excessive noise for long periods, I have a pothead with his girlfriend whom I share bedroom walls with where they make noise for short durations at random hours of the night. It only goes on for 5-15 minutes at a time most of the time where calling the cops doesn't even seem worth it. Also they are not extremely loud but loud enough to wake a light sleeper like me. I contacted apartment management, no help. I kindly confronted, no help there either.
So, as much as I dislike it, I have been using the earplugs for some time now. Because of the earplugs, I had to turn up the volume of the alarm clock so I could hear it in the morning which in a way became a nice bonus "F You" to them since they are typically sleeping when I get up.

In your situation, I'd suggest calling the cops. Most stupid people get with the program after cops knock on their door due to noise complaints. It might take more than 1 call but they eventually straighten up. Confronting or asking someone in person like you did (I tried too), never works. Why? You have no authority that would scare them and you cannot give them the benefit of the doubt that they are civilized and considerate because if they were, they'd have not make that much noise in the first place. The thing AGNs seem to only react to requests from officials (cops).

AGN= Annoying Ghetto Neighbor


Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,002 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Call the cops, seriously. You are lucky in a way that they are making excessive noise for long periods, I have a pothead with his girlfriend whom I share bedroom walls with where they make noise for short durations at random hours of the night. It only goes on for 5-15 minutes at a time most of the time where calling the cops doesn't even seem worth it. Also they are not extremely loud but loud enough to wake a light sleeper like me. I have been using the earplugs for some time now. Because of the earplugs, I had to turn up the volume of the alarm clock so I could hear it in the morning which in a way became a nice bonus "F You" to them since they are typically sleeping when I get up.

In your situation, I'd suggest calling the cops. Most stupid people get with the program after cops knock on their door due to noise complaints. It might take more than 1 call but they eventually straighten up. Confronting or asking someone in person like you did (I tried too), never works. Why? You have no authority that would scare them and you cannot give them the benefit of the doubt that they are civilized and considerate because if they were, they'd have not make that much noise in the first place. The thing AGNs seem to only react to requests from officials (cops).

AGN= Annoying Ghetto Neighbor


Good luck.
Thanks. You know, speaking of AGN...it's going to sound awful to say this, but...this family is so out of place in my neighborhood. I'm not pulling any race crap; it's not that, but I suppose I'm pulling a "class" crap, ya know? My building is full of yuppies, lol and these people are like...the farthest thing from it, esp. the wife. She's totally ghetto. All my neighbors are considerate of keeping the common areas clean (laundry, elevator, etc.), but if you ever follow this fam into either of these locations, it's a big ol' mess. They're just one big mess all over.

Pasadena cops are very slow to respond, from my experience. Thing is, if I call them and if - by the time they show - these people have shut up for a bit or gone out, then it'll make me look like the annoying resident and the cops will be even less responsive the next time.

But I hear you. I'm taking the safer measures first, and after that, it might be the cops...and DCFS. Because again, that kid crying so often is not normal, unless he's spoiled rotten - which well might be the case as well.

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,187 posts, read 8,004,068 times
Reputation: 7946
Holiwood, It's too bad I didn't hear about your situation a few days earlier.
I just rented a one bedroom house in a real quiet residential neighborhood just south of South Pasadena.
All of my tenants are quiet, stable working folks, and NEVER, EVER, any noise.
My rental agreements have a clause that states no loud music, or unwarranted noise that would disturb neighbors, or other tenants, and will be grounds for a thirty day notice,and forfeiture of the rental agreement.
I don't allow any kind of disturbance to disrupt my tenants quiet enjoyment of their rental.
I have been at this property management business for over thirty years, and have never had to put up with loud noise from any of my tenants.
Again, I am real sorry about the situation you find yourself in, and hope you find a suitable solution to it soon.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM
 
120 posts, read 428,984 times
Reputation: 68
experienced similar situation. i moved and it was the best thing i ever did. cost me a few hundred in moving, but it was so worth it. i got my sanity back. remember, when you move, incorporate lessons learned to minimize risk, i.e, live on the highest floor, try to find a corner unit that shares 1 wall etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,002 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Holiwood, It's too bad I didn't hear about your situation a few days earlier.
I just rented a one bedroom house in a real quiet residential neighborhood just south of South Pasadena.
All of my tenants are quiet, stable working folks, and NEVER, EVER, any noise.
My rental agreements have a clause that states no loud music, or unwarranted noise that would disturb neighbors, or other tenants, and will be grounds for a thirty day notice,and forfeiture of the rental agreement.
I don't allow any kind of disturbance to disrupt my tenants quiet enjoyment of their rental.
I have been at this property management business for over thirty years, and have never had to put up with loud noise from any of my tenants.
Again, I am real sorry about the situation you find yourself in, and hope you find a suitable solution to it soon.
Bob.
Thanks, Bob. I hope so, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top