U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,063 times
Reputation: 130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
experienced similar situation. i moved and it was the best thing i ever did. cost me a few hundred in moving, but it was so worth it. i got my sanity back. remember, when you move, incorporate lessons learned to minimize risk, i.e, live on the highest floor, try to find a corner unit that shares 1 wall etc
Yep, been looking every day. I checked out two places tonight...first one was, awful. Bedroom windows that face into the hallway? Is it a home or prison?

Next one was cute, actually BUT...it wouldn't fit all my furniture. Like Nick said, incorporating lessons learned, I was lucky enough to get there when the upstairs tenant got home, too (this was a 2nd floor unit, but worth checking out). The manager had said that the neighbor above is a single woman (and her cat) and is quiet. I guess quiet is a relative term, because when this woman got home as I was looking around the place, she was clomping around in her high heels all over (wasn't awful, but definitely audible)...and then she began sweeping leaves from her balcony into "my" balcony. Nice. I dunno, but that act alone speaks to me of a potential neighbor's considerate (or not) nature. But the noise also firmed up my resolve to only take an upper unit with no one above my apartment.

But I must say, this place was the cutest one so far, in a nice area of S. Pasadena...but just the idea of moving out of a neighborhood I love was making me sad. Regardless, the space was too small for all my things. But the manager seemed nice and if they get a vacant upstairs unit, I may consider it - if push comes to shove.

More places to look at tomorrow...it's exhausting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:06 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,063 times
Reputation: 130
UPDATE: Management is not going to do anything about the noise. So I will have to keep looking for a new place. *sad face*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
6,187 posts, read 8,006,339 times
Reputation: 7946
You might want to go on yelp, and voice your complaints to the general public.
That could steer some potential future renters away from that property.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
 
497 posts, read 1,333,516 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
UPDATE: Management is not going to do anything about the noise. So I will have to keep looking for a new place. *sad face*
It sounds like this is an older building with hardwood floors. Maybe you were just lucky to have a very quiet tenant in the past. Personally, I wouldnt leave without providing them with some serious inconvienence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,063 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
You might want to go on yelp, and voice your complaints to the general public.
That could steer some potential future renters away from that property.
Bob.
Management already has bad reviews (1 star) from numerous yelpers, for similar issues to mine. BUT, because their building look nice and are well-kept, those that are there put up with it. Even me...been looking for a different place for THREE months, and one is worse than the next (unless I start looking into the $1700 price range, which is too much).

But yea, people are aware that they are horrible at management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,063 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
It sounds like this is an older building with hardwood floors. Maybe you were just lucky to have a very quiet tenant in the past. Personally, I wouldnt leave without providing them with some serious inconvienence.
I think this building is from the 70's, so it's not THAT old, for the area. What I was told - and I HIGHLY doubt their word, btw - is that they called in a "floor specialist" who said that both my floor and the floor above was "uneven" and that it's possible the wood over the cement floors has likely become loose (I thought if there was cement flooring, it would absorb the sound of the wood, so this is suspect), so it's making sounds when people walk on it. Then they said the floor guy said even if he DID attempt to fix it, there would be no guarantee that it would stop the noise. Translation: Management doesn't want to pay for a fix, because they can rent out my place for $300 more if I move out, and someone else would be willing to take it.

Gregg, what ideas do you have as far as "inconveniencing" the management?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:39 PM
 
497 posts, read 1,333,516 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
I think this building is from the 70's, so it's not THAT old, for the area. What I was told - and I HIGHLY doubt their word, btw - is that they called in a "floor specialist" who said that both my floor and the floor above was "uneven" and that it's possible the wood over the cement floors has likely become loose (I thought if there was cement flooring, it would absorb the sound of the wood, so this is suspect), so it's making sounds when people walk on it. Then they said the floor guy said even if he DID attempt to fix it, there would be no guarantee that it would stop the noise. Translation: Management doesn't want to pay for a fix, because they can rent out my place for $300 more if I move out, and someone else would be willing to take it.

Gregg, what ideas do you have as far as "inconveniencing" the management?
Personally, If I were you, I would call the police every time they are loud Give no warning, just call so they can verify the distrubance. I would document everything, then take them to small claims court and get your rent back. You really dont have to put up with their noise. You can also report them to the Housing Authority. Im not sure if pasadena falls into their jurisdiction or if pasadena has their own dept.

Sounds like they want you out so they can re-rent your unit and bump the rents up.

Some of the other things I would do cannot be conveyed in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,063 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Personally, If I were you, I would call the police every time they are loud Give no warning, just call so they can verify the distrubance. I would document everything, then take them to small claims court and get your rent back. You really dont have to put up with their noise. You can also report them to the Housing Authority. Im not sure if pasadena falls into their jurisdiction or if pasadena has their own dept.

Sounds like they want you out so they can re-rent your unit and bump the rents up.

Some of the other things I would do cannot be conveyed in writing.
Aw, I wanted to hear them. It's alright.

As far as small claims, etc....the hassle of it all, and the stress it would all cause I think is better served by me looking for a new place instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM
 
Location: EST
369 posts, read 468,063 times
Reputation: 130
I'm OFFICIALLY tired of looking at and for places. Damned noisy neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Lemon Heights, Orange County, CA
805 posts, read 1,355,418 times
Reputation: 1299
Like others said, call the cops, but say that there is noise, screaming, and a child who is wailing and has been for a long time. Tell them that this goes on a lot. Tell them that the child seems to be home all day and not attending school. If you imply that there might be abuse they will come. Maybe not fast but they will have a patrol car stop by and knock on the door. I know it sucks to have to do this but if the heat keeps getting turned up on those people maybe they will bail.
I feel your pain. I own a house in Orange County that I paid damn pretty penny for and right in back of me is a family with 4 boys, they have an outdoor stereo and bar so guess where the boys and their friends spend their time? I call the cops at least once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top