U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM

6,187 posts, read 7,998,332 times

Advertisements

The best option for you is to move, and do it soon.
Chances are if you report them to anyone, it could be enough for those jerks above you to retalliate against you, and you don't know what they could be capable of doing, right down to keying your vehicle, slicing tires, just to name a couple.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:12 PM

497 posts, read 1,332,994 times
I wouldnt move. I'd stay and make their life hell. He loves the area and likes his unit.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM

369 posts, read 467,812 times
Hi guys. Just got home from a couple of more viewings. I found a place I really like...not love, but it has everything I'm looking for..and a nice manager (it seemed). The place is actually TOO big and the space would have been better served if broken down into 2 bedrooms instead of a football field single bedroom. And it has 2 full baths...weird, right? Anyhow, it is a nice place, top floor, etc. but, the rent is $200 more than I am paying now and that is a lot in this economy. The girl said she liked me and would hold the place for me over the weekend, so that I can think about it. The only factor is the cost now, and now I feel stuck as to what to do.

I called the management office this morning and left a message, asking them to call me TODAY with regards to my letter to them from the other day, but of course they didn't call back.

And the people upstairs are in FINE form tonight, having people over and it's like someone is having a tap dancing party on my head.

I have pretty much exhausted my neighborhood, at least as far as vacancies go at the present time.

I'd take the new place but I also don't want top put myself in a huge financial jam...so what to do?

And in case it wasn't clear from my user name (Holi), I am a girl.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,354,715 times
I am sorry...yes, it sounds like you will have to move to be honest. I think we also did not realize if you were male/female. It makes a difference. I am female so I have to deal with things like this different than a man would. Look at it this way, maybe it is time for you to move on, perhaps this family is the type that will start moving in. Your sanity is on the line here, so while it is disappointing that you may have to go it is the path of least resistance and probably the best idea.

Oh and maybe ask it that $200 has any wiggle room. Tell them that you have 10 years as a great tenant at your current place, no parties, no late rent, etc. Maybe they will drop it a bit. Just ask.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 PM

29,100 posts, read 22,740,691 times
Can you ask the management if you could move to another vacant unit in the same complex?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 PM

2,300 posts, read 4,233,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Hi guys. Just got home from a couple of more viewings. I found a place I really like...not love, but it has everything I'm looking for..and a nice manager (it seemed). The place is actually TOO big and the space would have been better served if broken down into 2 bedrooms instead of a football field single bedroom. And it has 2 full baths...weird, right? Anyhow, it is a nice place, top floor, etc. but, the rent is $200 more than I am paying now and that is a lot in this economy. The girl said she liked me and would hold the place for me over the weekend, so that I can think about it. The only factor is the cost now, and now I feel stuck as to what to do.

I called the management office this morning and left a message, asking them to call me TODAY with regards to my letter to them from the other day, but of course they didn't call back.

And the people upstairs are in FINE form tonight, having people over and it's like someone is having a tap dancing party on my head.

I have pretty much exhausted my neighborhood, at least as far as vacancies go at the present time.

I'd take the new place but I also don't want top put myself in a huge financial jam...so what to do?

And in case it wasn't clear from my user name (Holi), I am a girl.
Too bad this is happening to you, but for your own peace of mind, you might give real serious consideration to moving.

I know you've stated that you love your current location, but sometimes a change can be good. Will the additional $200 be a budget buster or just more money and you're not use to paying that, but can afford it?

Can you afford the move (i.e., moving your things and paying security deposit, etc.)?

Good luck to you, it appears you know what you have to do, because you've already started the process of finding a new place. I hope the new place works out. With all that new space, you can get your interior design thing going and make it an even more homey space for you!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Can you ask the management if you could move to another vacant unit in the same complex?
Oh, they said if I want to move to another unit, I have to go through the entire application process (and fee!) and re-qualify. Um, after 10 perfect renting record years with your management?!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
Oh and maybe ask it that $200 has any wiggle room. Tell them that you have 10 years as a great tenant at your current place, no parties, no late rent, etc. Maybe they will drop it a bit. Just ask.
I did, twice, she said the rent price was "firm" . Understandable...they can get that place taken off the market very soon. It's literally, 1.5 blocks from my current location and on a top floor, so...

Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 PM

17,654 posts, read 17,706,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Hi people.

I've been living in my current apartment for 10 years and I love it here. I love the area, my place, everything. I had an upstairs neighbor the entire time I've been here who was awesome, quiet, and respectful but sadly, he recently moved out. In his place (it's a 1-bedroom apt), has moved in this noisy, obnoxious, LOUD family of 3 - I didn't know that was allowed in a 1-bedroom - and I haven't been able to sleep or have peace of mind for THREE months. I'm losing my mind!

First of all, they have a 6-years old kid who is always, always, ALWAYS crying or screaming or WAILING. I have worked with kids before and this behavior is not normal (and I've seen the kid out/about and he seems otherwise normal). In fact, I'm getting worried it's something they're doing...but, that's another discussion. Needless to say, this kid screams and cries, and jumps up/down, and then when the mom gets annoyed with him (she's a real wench!), she starts screaming back at this kid...so then they have a screaming match!

Both their and my apartment faces an internal courtyard, so sound echoes, especially if you leave the balcony doors open - which they insist on doing, while all this noise goes on. You can just imagine the noise that goes on.

On top of that, they walk like they are keeping herds of elephants up there...thump, thump, thump! ALL hours of day/night! The husband works, the wife is an at-home mom, and the kid...I'm not sure why he isn't in school, but he should be. And no one seems to sleep up there! They're always walking around all hours of day/night, all the time! There's never ONE hour of peace where these people aren't around. There's always someone up there stomping, thumping, screaming, banging, yelling, jumping, etc....

Anyway, when they first moved in 3 months ago, they made so much noise moving in for DAYS, that I finally had to call management and be like, "This noise has been going on for 14 hours from these people; they need to cut it out!" She told me to go talk to them, which I think is a rotten idea, because if things don't go well, then you have a hostile neighboring environment...but management sucks.

But I did anyway. I went upstairs, introduced myself nicely and told them I'm their downstairs neighbor and could they please try to keep the noise down. The woman was totally rude and entitled in her attitude and blamed the movers - at this point it was 3 days post-move, and 8 p.m. I asked if the movers were there at that very moment and she was like, "Um...well, no, not now, before". Yet all this thumping and jumping and banging for HOURS? Really?? Anyway, I asked if they could try to keep it down, and she said, "Okay" and SLAMMED the door.

And the noise continued the next day into the next...

I called management again and told them what happened, and they - being lazy - said there is not much they can do. Now they know I have been living here for 10 years, am an awesome tenant, never ONCE had a trouble with neighbors and all our other neighbors are quiet...so WTF??!!

So I've been trying to get used to the sounds, have bought a white noise machine, and am wearing earplugs at night to sleep (and I can still hear them stomping around)...and now my ears are hurting, and I'm always tired, and not getting enough rest/peace and quiet, and it's affecting my life, health, work...and I don't know what to do??

I've even looked around to MOVE, even though it's completely a horrible time for me to up and move, esp. after all these years and the cost of things right now, but I'm desperate for some QUIET time!

I can say with certainty...I HATE these neighbors!! But I need help to figure out how to handle them/management and still be able to live in my home in peace/quiet. And what is UP with this kid crying ALL the friggin' time?!!

Is there anyone with experience/expertise who can help??

I cannot add too much.

But, get Hearos earplugs(blue ones), they are soft and have one of the highest noise reduction ratings(NRR) of all earplugs. Roll them up really good, pull down your earlobe and jam them suckers way into your ear canal.

When you start wearing the earplugs a lot your ears will get sore and you will probably bruise. But after time(not too long)your ears will toughen up and the earplugs will not bother you at all.

I have been in noisy situations like yours, it really sucks, I feel for you.

Last edited by Count David; 01-07-2012 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: fixed quoting

Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Too bad this is happening to you, but for your own peace of mind, you might give real serious consideration to moving.
Oh, I am...it seems to be the only way.
Quote:
I know you've stated that you love your current location, but sometimes a change can be good. Will the additional $200 be a budget buster or just more money and you're not use to paying that, but can afford it?
The location is fine. The extra, unplanned for $$ (who thought I was going to have to move suddenly after this length of time?) will make things tough. Not only is that an extra $2400 a year, but there's the moving costs, the security deposit, and who knows how much more it will cost to run the a/c in that place (upstairs is often hardest/most expensive to cool). Oy.

Quote:
Can you afford the move (i.e., moving your things and paying security deposit, etc.)?
I can do it, but as it wasn't planned, it will be tough on all counts.
Quote:
Good luck to you, it appears you know what you have to do, because you've already started the process of finding a new place. I hope the new place works out.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or