Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM

369 posts, read 557,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I cannot add too much.

But, get Hearos earplugs(blue ones), they are soft and have one of the highest noise reduction ratings(NRR) of all earplugs. Roll them up really good, pull down your earlobe and jam them suckers way into your ear canal.

When you start wearing the earplugs a lot your ears will get sore and you will probably bruise. But after time(not too long)your ears will toughen up and the earplugs will not bother you at all.

I have been in noisy situations like yours, it really sucks, I feel for you.
I am using Hearos and Howard Leight Max and yep, can still hear them. Thanks, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Yup! I kept a spreadsheet with the address, date visited (or called), and notes on why it was rejected.

The rejection notes range from "NO closet space" to "the traffic sounds like it's inside the living room even with the windows shut"!

Would the $200/month extra really be such a stretch? If it's really going to bankrupt you, then don't do it. If you can, though, I say go for it! You need to get out of where you are now - before your sanity snaps. I truly believe that noise pollution is a form of torture. If you have to do so, you could move again in a year or two to a less expensive apartment, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
NOW I see why @SandyCo mentioned taking notes with apartments - seems I've called a couple of places already and didn't realize!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yup! I kept a spreadsheet with the address, date visited (or called), and notes on why it was rejected.

The rejection notes range from "NO closet space" to "the traffic sounds like it's inside the living room even with the windows shut"!

Would the $200/month extra really be such a stretch? If it's really going to bankrupt you, then don't do it. If you can, though, I say go for it! You need to get out of where you are now - before your sanity snaps. I truly believe that noise pollution is a form of torture. If you have to do so, you could move again in a year or two to a less expensive apartment, right?
Now the locations are starting to get all mixed up in my head. Today, I called the same place 2x and only realized It because the manager had a peculiar accent.

You know, yea...that $200 extra would be a stretch right now, because there are extra costs I hadn't planned for...the move, hefty deposit, changing service location (cable, etc.), and it would make life rather more pressured on a regular basis. In today's economy, I don't want to put my back against the wall....just in case. But I say that now - by Sunday, and after some more looking around and these fools making more noise, I may sing a different tune!

Remind me again how long before you found your current place again?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 AM

I've been thinking over the apartment I did like tonight, and realize there is more to my reluctance to paying more than just financial. Truth is, there were things about it I didn't like and for the money they are asking for, I feel like I should get more than just a quiet ceiling and a bedroom the size of a gootball field. My current place has a better view, it's just as nice looking as the more costly place, I don't share walls on either side here with any neighbors but in the new place, I would share my bedroom wall with the neighbor's bedroom wall. He's a young guy in his early 20s, I was told, very quiet (aren't they all, until they're not)...and the noisy scenarios that came to mind was not good. Also, though the new place is on the top floor, the view from the balcony is the back of someone else's house/garage - with great cars in it - but that's not technically a view. I guess my point is, this is the first place that I've seen in all my search that I actually liked, but it wasn't a love at first viewing scenario. I want to love where I live, as I have done with my current place, if I'm going to fork over the piles of dough. As unhappy as I am withmy crappy neighbors, I also don't wnt to make a hasty, emotional decision that I'll regret.

Tomorrow (Saturday), more places to see...

Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 AM

129 posts, read 316,754 times
I'm sorry you are going through this but a family of three certainly should be allowed to live in a 1-bedroom apartment (as long as they are quiet and respectful) due to the OUTRAGEOUS LA housing costs. We could only afford a studio and no one would let our little family (we have a 5-month old baby) in, so we had to leave the area. Have you seen how much a 2-bedroom in a decent area costs now? It's insane.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
I'm sorry you are going through this but a family of three certainly should be allowed to live in a 1-bedroom apartment (as long as they are quiet and respectful) due to the OUTRAGEOUS LA housing costs. We could only afford a studio and no one would let our little family (we have a 5-month old baby) in, so we had to leave the area. Have you seen how much a 2-bedroom in a decent area costs now? It's insane.
I agree if the child is under 3, a one bedroom should be okay (studio is too small, IMO) but at 6 or 7, my neighbor's kid needs his own room. Instead, because they want to save money or who knows what their reason is, I have to suffer their kid roller skating throughout the kitchen and the living room 2-3 hours a night on top of my head after a long day at work, on top of the thumping, jumping, screaming that goes on the rest of the time. I know how much housing costs, but I deserve peace and quiet for the money I pay, too, and someone's choice to have a child is not my responsibility and shouldn't affect my sanity. But, unfortunately, it is.

Which brings me to why I am awake right now...because they finally went to sleep and this is the only time I can get some down time, even though I have been up since 6 a.m. (it's now 2). Not fair, is it?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:18 AM

129 posts, read 316,754 times
Quote:
I agree if the child is under 3, a one bedroom should be okay (studio is too small, IMO) but at 6 or 7, my neighbor's kid needs his own room. Instead, because they want to save money or who knows what their reason is, I have to suffer their kid roller skating throughout the kitchen and the living room 2-3 hours a night on top of my head after a long day at work, on top of the thumping, jumping, screaming that goes on the rest of the time. I know how much housing costs, but I deserve peace and quiet for the money I pay, too, and someone's choice to have a child is not my responsibility and shouldn't affect my sanity. But, unfortunately, it is.

Which brings me to why I am awake right now...because they finally went to sleep and this is the only time I can get some down time, even though I have been up since 6 a.m. (it's now 2). Not fair, is it?
It's not fair that they're allowed to live there while being so disrespectful, I agree. I just don't understand people like that because we would never allow our child to run around if we were living in a second floor apartment. It sounds like the kid needs some park time where he/she can burn off some steam during the day! Our daughter will definitely have her own room by the time she is 2 - every couple needs private time!

The sad thing is that a studio would have been fine for us for the first year since the baby sleeps right next to us, anyway. I hate that we had to move to another state and leave her doctor and an area we love due to housing costs and unemployment, but that is way off the topic of this post.

I've lived in situations where our upstairs neighbors were really loud, and I had to do the old broom handle on the ceiling trick because I was so mad. That never really works though, and they would just pound on their floor right back.

I didn't read the entire thread, but did you try calling the police when they are noisy past 10 pm? We've done that and it worked, at least for a little while. I don't think it is a good idea to confront a neighbor yourself, and our managers even encouraged us to call the police if it was after a certain time. I'm not sure if they would help with an noisy child, but if they're talking, playing music or watching TV loudly, they could put a stop to it.

You shouldn't just focus on the child, though, since they would probably be loud neighbors with or without kids. None of our noisy neighbor issues ever had anything to do with kids - the adults were just rude and disrespectful. I hope you get this issue resolved soon.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
It's not fair that they're allowed to live there while being so disrespectful, I agree. I just don't understand people like that because we would never allow our child to run around if we were living in a second floor apartment. It sounds like the kid needs some park time where he/she can burn off some steam during the day! Our daughter will definitely have her own room by the time she is 2 - every couple needs private time!

The sad thing is that a studio would have been fine for us for the first year since the baby sleeps right next to us, anyway. I hate that we had to move to another state and leave her doctor and an area we love due to housing costs and unemployment, but that is way off the topic of this post.

I've lived in situations where our upstairs neighbors were really loud, and I had to do the old broom handle on the ceiling trick because I was so mad. That never really works though, and they would just pound on their floor right back.

I didn't read the entire thread, but did you try calling the police when they are noisy past 10 pm? We've done that and it worked, at least for a little while. I don't think it is a good idea to confront a neighbor yourself, and our managers even encouraged us to call the police if it was after a certain time. I'm not sure if they would help with an noisy child, but if they're talking, playing music or watching TV loudly, they could put a stop to it.

You shouldn't just focus on the child, though, since they would probably be loud neighbors with or without kids. None of our noisy neighbor issues ever had anything to do with kids - the adults were just rude and disrespectful. I hope you get this issue resolved soon.
Oh, I'm not focusing on just the kid, but he is a horribly noisy one. And I spoke too soon - it is now 2:30 a.m. And the adults are thumping around in the bedroom. I swear, when do these people sleep?!

And that's the other thing...how can this couple have private time with a child that age? They are just all sorts of wrong. And I have done the broom handle thing - and they thumped right back! As for the police, no...haven't called them. Pasadena police are not that responsive to this sort of situation, but they are grrrreat at giving traffic tickets!

The issue is not only the crap neighbors, but management saying nothing and not fixing the squeaky ceiling. It irks me to no end that these people live their lives while making mine miserable (and they know by now!) and don't care at all. In fact, I think they rather enjoy it!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Well, in reality that is why most people buy a house. Apartment, community living is a gamble. You have been more fortunate than most, having 10 yrs in the same place, you maybe have been a little spoiled. I am used to seeing people on CD talking about recent moves, rarely is anyone talking about living for 10 yrs. And the reality of the rental company valuing your longevity, it isn't going to happen, you are not the commodity, the apartment is, to them you are just another renter that is complaining. And, if your place is as nice as you describe they will be able to rent it quickly, and they know it. Since you have a list of your priorities, see which ones you have now, as opposed to the apartments you are viewing. If your current apartment outweighs the others so much, you may need to reevaluate what you are going to do re: noise. Cause honestly, you can get noise from neighbors in almost any situation, white noise machine?? If you are concerned they are people that retaliate, then just try to figure out if you can live w/ the noise, or muffle it. Sounds like you love this place too much to move. Or, maybe you should look into leasing, or buying a house or condo. There may be trade offs, but what price do you put on your peace of mind.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
Since you'll probably have to sign a lease, then take your time and pass on this one if it isn't truly what you want. I completely understand your reluctance to pay $200 more for something you like only because it's quiet and has a big bedroom.

I got into a screaming match three years ago this month with my former manager which ended with him slamming his door in my face. This is after I had completely lost it and was banging on the common wall repeatedly with a shoe! The problem was that our two-bedroom apartments were connected via a very thin wall between our living rooms. Both of my kids were still living with me then, and they had the bedrooms. (Yes, I slept in my living room for twelve years; I can't tell you how wonderful that was! )

From that moment, I knew I had to leave. I started looking that weekend, and was immediately rather discouraged. It seemed like I'd get very little for the extra $200-300 I'd be paying each month! I knew what I wanted (or rather what I didn't want!), and I refused to settle for less. I also tried to talk to one or two tenants, because they would more than likely tell me the truth.

I looked off and on, because then work got very busy (I work in the financial services industry, and it was tax season), etc. Finally at the end of April I found a place I liked, and it was only a mile away. The new apartment building was well kept; it was clean, the deck had been freshly painted, the laundry room had three washers and dryers (my old building only had two washers and dryers, and they were constantly breaking!).

But more than anything, I liked the manager. She and her husband had lived there for fifteen years, and when she was showing us the apartment, other tenants would stop by and chat for a few minutes.

The funny part is that I didn't end up in the upstairs apartment that she had listed on Craigslist. There was another apartment available downstairs, the manager told me, but the woman wasn't moving out until the end of the following week. That one was what I ultimately chose, because it was big and had lots of closet space! One entire side of my rather large master bedroom is one big closet. (Oh, and something else that impressed me - She never showed me the apartment until after the woman had moved out, because she didn't want to inconvenience the tenant as she packing.)

What I got for my extra $300 per month - 1) Central A/C and heat, 2) three parking spaces!, 3) a balcony, 4) dishwasher and built-in microwave, 5) gas fireplace, 6) security building (everyone knew the code at the old building - or the lock was constantly being broken!), 7) two bathrooms (my old apartment only had one) and the master bedroom's adjoining bathroom is huge, 8) A pool that's well kept (the old pool was green much of the time!), 9) Maintenance issues are taken care of ASAP (at the old place the voice mail box was always full!). But the best aspect - I could actually take a nap if I wanted to! I could sleep in! I never had to dread that the manager and his family were coming home from shopping or church (oh, yes, was a God-fearing Christian! ).

Was there a downside? Of course. I live right on a main street now, and although the windows are relatively thick, we get a lot of traffic noise and it's difficult to pull out into traffic sometimes. We also live close to Sherman Oaks Hospital, so there's a lot of ambulance noise. (My rescue cat, Jasmine, stayed in the closet for three weeks until she got used to it! Poor kitty...)

But I can live with street noise, and I can live with my neighbor upstairs vacuuming every day. That's nothing compared to what I was dealing with. However, I wasn't willing to compromise on what I wanted, not for so much more money. I was very afraid of ending up in a similar situation, just paying more money and stuck in a lease for a year!

HoliWood, I'm sure you'll find something. Just try to be patient and keep looking.

Quote:
I've been thinking over the apartment I did like tonight, and realize there is more to my reluctance to paying more than just financial. Truth is, there were things about it I didn't like and for the money they are asking for, I feel like I should get more than just a quiet ceiling and a bedroom the size of a gootball field. My current place has a better view, it's just as nice looking as the more costly place, I don't share walls on either side here with any neighbors but in the new place, I would share my bedroom wall with the neighbor's bedroom wall. He's a young guy in his early 20s, I was told, very quiet (aren't they all, until they're not)...and the noisy scenarios that came to mind was not good. Also, though the new place is on the top floor, the view from the balcony is the back of someone else's house/garage - with great cars in it - but that's not technically a view. I guess my point is, this is the first place that I've seen in all my search that I actually liked, but it wasn't a love at first viewing scenario. I want to love where I live, as I have done with my current place, if I'm going to fork over the piles of dough. As unhappy as I am withmy crappy neighbors, I also don't wnt to make a hasty, emotional decision that I'll regret.

Tomorrow (Saturday), more places to see...

Last edited by SandyCo; 01-07-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles