U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,925 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are spending four days in LA in April. We are targeting two days of tourist activities (Hollywood, etc) in the city and hopefully two days of beach R&R. We were recomended either Laguna Beach area or to head up to San Diego. Any suggestions on what NOT to miss in LA and where to check out the beach for the last two days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,082,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinliv View Post
My husband and I are spending four days in LA in April. We are targeting two days of tourist activities (Hollywood, etc) in the city and hopefully two days of beach R&R. We were recomended either Laguna Beach area or to head up to San Diego. Any suggestions on what NOT to miss in LA and where to check out the beach for the last two days?
San Diego is AT BEST a 2 hour drive, probably more and then has its own traffic problems. You might be better off with an early morning (9 am) excursion up the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Barbara, return in the late afternoon and maybe take in Hollywood and Highland for dinner and some sightseeing.
Also, look into Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach/Redondo Beach as closer alternatives to Laguna.
It's a gamble, but if you can grab tickets beforehand to either the Greek Theater or Hollywood Bowl, they are fantastic venues.
The studio tours are also interesting, if that's your thing, especially the Warner Brothers. Universal is good if you want the ride experience.
Also, visiting Hollywood and Highland early, then hopping the subway to the downtown area is a nice day of touristy stuff. You could hit Union Station/Phillipe's for lunch/downtown L.A. and be back in the Hollywood area for dinner.
The Getty Center is also a good early day activity.
Enjoy!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM

497 posts, read 1,332,994 times
Driving South/down to San Diego is not all coast. Neither is going North/up to Santa Barbara. You will hit coastal views in No. Malibu and then again in ventura. After that your done for the most part.

A nice coastal drive starts in Monterey County up to Carmel. It is very beautiful/scenic.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,538,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Driving South/down to San Diego is not all coast. Neither is going North/up to Santa Barbara. You will hit coastal views in No. Malibu and then again in ventura. After that your done for the most part.

A nice coastal drive starts in Monterey County up to Carmel. It is very beautiful/scenic.
Up the 101 it is right on the coastline from Oxnard all the way to Santa Barbara. And, if you take the Pacific Coast Highway (CA1), it is 100 percent coast except for a small portion through Oxnard.

I would say definitely do not stay in Laguna Beach if you want to sightsee in LA. Despite what you may see on TV, Laguna Beach is in southern Orange County, nowhere near Los Angeles (almost as close to SD as it is to LA!). Anywhere from Marina Del Rey to Palos Verdes will be closer to the city and is still very, very nice.

San Diego would be too far for me to drive on a short vacation, especially considering LA's coast and beach cities are not all that different from San Diego's coastal areas.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:32 PM

497 posts, read 1,332,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Up the 101 it is right on the coastline from Oxnard all the way to Santa Barbara. And, if you take the Pacific Coast Highway (CA1), it is 100 percent coast except for a small portion through Oxnard.
It's close to the coast, but all they will get is glimpses of the ocean here and there. You can't really see anything. Its a wasted trip in my opinion.
if they are looking for a scenic coastal drive.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 PM

571 posts, read 1,751,628 times
Malibu beaches are gorgeous and not that far of a drive. I think Laguna is further.

If you like outdoor activities you would want to check out Runyun Canyon. Great views and great people watching.

Don't forget to try In & Out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or