U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 03:16 PM

737 posts, read 1,068,268 times

Advertisements

Im Seriously thinking of moving to Los Angeles in 2013, my only concern is becoming home sick, Im from the East coast (Pittsburgh) to be exact. I defiantly will not miss the city of Pittsburgh one bit! But my whole family lives here.

Are there any Los Angeles immigrants from the East coast who moved to the West without knowing a soul. Besides the crappy weather in the North east do you ever miss it. How do you cope with not seeing your family on holidays? Flying into LAX from north east seems extremely costly around $500. I couldn't see my self making that trip more than twice a year.

I've visited LA several times over the last 3 years and love it more every time i visit. But will I become too homesick to even enjoy your beautiful city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 15,479 times
Having lived away from my family for almost 10 yrs now, they live in the US, I live in Canada, it'll take some time to get used to the distance.

I see my family about once or twice a year, depending on whether we travel together or not. To be honest, the distance has been a good thing for me. My mom still stays true to any caring mother (nagging and whatnot), but we've grown accustomed to living apart and it always feels nice to see family on those special visits. We talk on the phone once in a while to get updates, but you'll soon learn the value of independence. While I love my family, I don't think I'd be able to handle them for more than a week before I get fed up and would want to do things on my own.

$500 is a good deal compared to what I have to deal with. I usually pay about $600-$800 for a roundtrip to the US.

If you think $500 is too heavy of a price to pay to visit your family, then you either have to double your efforts in finding a good paying job, or you don't move, or you move elsewhere where the cost of living is cheaper but that you also love. It all depends on what you're willing to sacrifice, are you brave enough to take the leap or would you rather stay with security? Your choice.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 PM

369 posts, read 468,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
Are there any Los Angeles immigrants from the East coast who moved to the West without knowing a soul?
Yep!
Quote:
Besides the crappy weather in the North east do you ever miss it?
I do miss a lot about the East Coast, but it all depends on what you're leaving back there, isn't it? For instance, I miss having 4 seasons in a year (even snow!), but admittedly, I tend to forget what a pain the a** it can be to live/work in snowy weather day in/out. But I miss it anyhow. I used to miss my friends terribly until I made new friends out here; and my friends used to come out and visit me a couple of times a year, which was always fun.

I miss lots of things about the East even today (many years later), but when I travel East, I miss lots of things about the West! Good and bad on each coast, as in all things in life.
Quote:
How do you cope with not seeing your family on holidays? Flying into LAX from north east seems extremely costly around $500. I couldn't see my self making that trip more than twice a year.
You can actually find cheaper prices than that if you're willing to fly red-eye (Priceline) or at weird hours, and maybe the family can come out one holiday, and you can go out the other. Alternately, you could opt to only go for the one MAJOR holiday (whichever is most important/traditional for your family). You also don't have to fly in/out of LAX if you can find (and you can) cheaper flights in/out of Burbank, Ontario, etc. That may mean some commute time between the airport and your west coast home location, but if you save at least $100, it's worth it.
Quote:
I've visited LA several times over the last 3 years and love it more every time i visit. But will I become too homesick to even enjoy your beautiful city?
If you love L.A. that much, you'll get over the homesick part! Yes, you'll feel homesick, but even if you moved to Florida, I think you'd feel homesick - it's the distance, regardless of how much of it there is (granted, the more mileage, the harder it may seem at first). You'll adjust. Do it - you only live once!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Are there any Los Angeles immigrants from the East coast who moved to the West without knowing a soul. Besides the crappy weather in the North east do you ever miss it. How do you cope with not seeing your family on holidays? Flying into LAX from north east seems extremely costly around $500. I couldn't see my self making that trip more than twice a year.

While I'm currently in the cold, soggy PNW(which I hate) I moved to Socal after graduating from Penn State all by myself and knew no one where I was moving and ended up LOVING LA so much(even more than San Diego) and want to move back down ASAP. There is a culture shock adjustment period that will take place with the move from east to west that definitely includes a "I miss my family and friends so bad I can't stand it" combined with "Its January and its 90(from santa anas) and I live in paradise and I'm not scrapping my windows or needing to turn my car on to warm up" phase - you just take it one day at a time, one issue at a time but truth be told I didn't miss much about "life" back east(seasons, leaves,etc) other than specific people because I prefer sunshine and palm trees and the laid back lifestyle. I am often jealous of my friends who have local family in town and get to spend every holiday with them, but you learn to make your own traditions and its SO fun to have people come visit you in the big glamorous LA where you get to be like "oh yeah that -insert celebrity name- is always in here shopping, we totally buy the same juice." all jaded-like

Things to note: LA can be difficult to find "real" friends IMO (compared to back east where perhaps through my lifetime network, it was easy to meet new awesome/sincere people in NYC or DC or Philly) but you will eventually- in the meantime just enjoy the surface friendships and try to network as much as possible- it helps make life very fun in LA to know as many people as possible, theres always an invite to something that way
You'll learn to deal with avoiding the freeways at all costs during rush hour (7-9:30a & 2-7pm at least lol)- which will make you want to pick a neighborhood you enjoy, so do some research before plunging in.
Your first $80 parking ticket will make you want to call your mom, don't worry we've all gotten plenty of them- from now on, you'll be amazing at reading signs thoroughly.
Speaking of money, make sure you save your pennies up before the big move- everything adds up here and usually the realization of being able to buy a house or save for retirement quickly gets flushed down the toilet after you have lived in LA for a significant amount of time. Thats not saying you won't be able to ever, it will just feel like it.
@Holiwood has some great points and agree with the check around for cheaper flights comment- btw I love burbank airport its like a old movie style airport where often you exit off the plane outside and have to walk into the terminal

Finally, if you think of it this way, why not try an adventure? the worst that can happen is you move back east after you've tried LA out, and trust me you wouldn't be the first. The only way you can really know if you are going to like it or not is being there for a significant amount of time, in the end it might help you to realize what you really want in life. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,553,714 times
I was in the opposite situation - I moved to Boston for a few years away from Southern California and now I am back.

The flights are certainly brutal, and it was tough to pick and choose which holidays I would go home for. However I would not trade the experience for anything, I think it is very important to see the rest of the country outside of the small area we grew up in.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM

6,802 posts, read 5,272,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
Im Seriously thinking of moving to Los Angeles in 2013, my only concern is becoming home sick, Im from the East coast (Pittsburgh) to be exact. I defiantly will not miss the city of Pittsburgh one bit! But my whole family lives here.

No family out here at all?

And I know it sounds like a funny question but how did you do on overnight trips to friends or when you went to camp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or