U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM

167 posts, read 497,819 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to either DTLA or Each Park.

Interested in renting apartment/loft in Downtown LA or in Echo Park but not always sure which streets are safe/unsafe when looking at ads/CL. Don’t want to end up on skid row!

Can somebody provide “boundaries” per se or streets that are “good” and ones to “avoid?”

I will be taking the 110-S weekdays for work so want to have quick access (so in that regards am more interested in DTLA than Echo Park).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
The old Bellevue Arms Apts has been rehabbed- nice old brick building in EP, very close to downtown. You can see it just as you pass over the 4-level on the way to Hollywood.

Good vs bad streets totally subjective- I wouldn't even know where to begin. Off the bat, 5th Street (the Nickel, aka Skid Row) is a must to avoid east of Main. There are many, many posts here that go into great detail about the downtown lofts and their 'hoods. I highly recommend sifting through them. I wouldn't recommend the part of EP that is northwest of Vista Hermosa Park but, like most of Los Angeles, there are some very nice pockets. And of course Angeleno Heights is great, but not alot of apartments I can recommend off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerita View Post
Looking to move to either DTLA or Each Park.

Interested in renting apartment/loft in Downtown LA or in Echo Park but not always sure which streets are safe/unsafe when looking at ads/CL. Don’t want to end up on skid row!

Can somebody provide “boundaries” per se or streets that are “good” and ones to “avoid?”

I will be taking the 110-S weekdays for work so want to have quick access (so in that regards am more interested in DTLA than Echo Park).

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Like Nick said, its kinda subjective.

General "safe" boundaries for downtown LA are 10 Fwy to the south,110 to the west, 101 to the north, Main to the East. Also Little Toyko is safe in the boundaries of 3rd to the south, Alameda to the East.

The area between about Grand and the 110 is generally nicer than the area east of that, but you'd really have to check it out yourself. Theres lots to like about the Spring st and Main St areas.

Quickest access to the 110 would be 5th, 8th or Olympic....so anything on Fig, Flower, Hope, Grand, Olive Hill, Broadway, Spring, or Main near those streets should be fine.

If you find a building you like, feel free to post. Also you can find reviews on Yelp for many of the lofts, but take those with a grain of salt as the majority seem to be from broke tennants who are mad because they got evicted.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:55 AM

2,431 posts, read 2,940,602 times
There really aren't any absolutely 'safe' or dangerous sectors of Los Angeles, any more than other large cities. Especially now days. Some folks like to generalize another area as "bad", to feel as theirs is perfect. Except that exists nowhere. Like the weather, check with local P.D. division crime blotters also, for current crime trends.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
There really aren't any absolutely 'safe' or dangerous sectors of Los Angeles, any more than other large cities. Especially now days. Some folks like to generalize another area as "bad", to feel as theirs is perfect. Except that exists nowhere. Like the weather, check with local P.D. division crime blotters also, for current crime trends.
This isn't true at all. Theres most definitely more crime in general, and violent crime in particular, in certain parts of LA than in others.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 AM

56 posts, read 110,630 times
As far as crime trends, you can use L.A. Times' Mapping L.A.:
Central L.A. - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
(pick the neighborhood and then the "crime" tab. you can go back to larger regions to select something around central L.A., too).
^ the only issue I find with this is that I think you have to keep in mind the crime rate is per # of people, not per square mile. So densely populated areas might look more safe (such as downtown; it's arguable, though, because I guess statistically speaking you're less likely to (for instance) get mugged, but more muggings may be happening in that given neighborhood).

Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
If you are a single guy, I'd say anywhere in downtown LA outside Skid Row is safe.

Drilling down by district, I'd say the "safest" areas in downtown (in no particular order) are: Little Tokyo, South Park, Financial District, and Historic Core....though the Historic Core is probably the most uneven of all of these choices.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
Hard to make a generalization about Echo Park but here it goes:

Generally, if you stay north of the 101 Freeway you will be very safe. Yet, Angelino Heigts is south of the 101 Freeway and it is considered very nice and safe as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles