Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Los Angeles from Atlanta, happy with move, crime issues, neighborhood safety, Atlanta transplants information needed, affordability, cost of living differences

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times

Advertisements

How has the transition been? Are you happier in LA than you were in Atlanta? Do you feel it has any similarities? Crime? Neighborhoods? Want to hear from other Atlanta transplants!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:21 PM

5 posts, read 28,478 times
Default Loving LA

Moved from Atlanta to LA in early ummer. It seems like we have been upgraded from coach to first class ATL does not come close to LA in terms of Life Style. There is just too much to do here in LA plus the weather is beautiful. In ATL, I never stopped sweating and here I have not even broken sweat even on 100 degree days.

Traffic is equally bad but if you plan to live close to work, it is not a problem.

Real Estate, however, is no match to ATL's affordability. We have downsized from a 6 BR house to 3BR and paying more than what we were in ATL, so make sure you are willing to compromise on this factor - I still have no idea how people afford multi million dollar houses here, I mean not everyone is in show business....I will let you know if I find out.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:07 PM

arch, do you have kids? If so, how does that play into the mix? In terms of recreation, how do you spend your weekends? You say you were 'upgraded' to first class. What, if you don't mind sharing, did you not love about Atlanta that contributed to your move?
Thanks so much!!

Old 09-02-2007, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 28,478 times
We only have one 3 year old kid so we are not concerned about schooling and such. We also did not worry about crime or any other factors. We know that there will always be more crime in big cities so you just have to be aware about your surroundings.

We are living here close to Sherman Oaks area so on weekends, we usually hang out at one of the many beaches here or we go to Universal City walk, or Hollywood Highland area or may be even Disney downtown if we are up for half an hour drive. All these areas offer a lot of activities for kids as well as grown ups. We have also been to San Diego area as well as Vegas. All in driving range. We are also planning to go skiiing in winter towards Big Bear hills, which I heard are only couple hours away.

Atlanta was okay, but there were no beaches unless you count lanier as water body. There was no place where you could really hangout as family and all have great time. Even if you go to Atlantic Station, there is really nothing for kids to do and in summer it is so humid that you really can't hang out there for say the whole day.

To sum it up LA is larger than life....

Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Hey, thanks so much! Sounds like you made a great move. I may have more questions so if anyone else wants to weigh in, please do. Am really curious about differences between the two other than the obvious (cost of living).

Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,998 times
Question Relocating to Atlanta or Ladera Heights

Hi,
I'm new to this board. I am currently living in MD and I plan to move to CA next year, where I have lived in the past. Recently, I've begun to think that maybe i should consider Atlanta. There I'd be able to afford a home and I think that as an attorney, I'd probably have a pretty decent quality of live. The problem is, I am from NY and I think that MD is slow. I don't want to move to an even slower place for the sole purpose of being able to buy property. I have a nine year old son and I want him to be able to have fun on the weekends, get a quality education AND grow up in a house - which i didn't not have the privilege of doing. I think our experience will be better in Los Angeles as far as meeting diverse groups of ppl go, but, most of my friends have found great success in Atl and I'm wondering if in moving there over staying here (one of the worst housing/job markets in the country) or going to another big city where they'd be sure to struggle, if they know something i don't. I don't believe life is supposed to be simple, you see something you want, go and get it. I loved Ladera Heights when I first moved to LA after college, now, i'm an attorney and soon i'll be able to afford it, but, will my child have children of his own by then?

Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 38,119 times
Hey Diva... I'm also from MD and am looking to move to LA. Nice to find someone from my part of town However, I am far from an attorney; with that career you will be sure to find a good career in any city Where in MD are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Hi arch1773....It's really nice that your enjoying the positives of what L.A offers,because far too many people focus on the negatives.

Their really is a Great Variety of Activities and Entertainment for the Whole Family to enjoy in L.A.,and as time goes by it just gets better

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch1773 View Post
Moved from Atlanta to LA in early ummer. It seems like we have been upgraded from coach to first class ATL does not come close to LA in terms of Life Style. There is just too much to do here in LA plus the weather is beautiful. In ATL, I never stopped sweating and here I have not even broken sweat even on 100 degree days.

Traffic is equally bad but if you plan to live close to work, it is not a problem.

Real Estate, however, is no match to ATL's affordability. We have downsized from a 6 BR house to 3BR and paying more than what we were in ATL, so make sure you are willing to compromise on this factor - I still have no idea how people afford multi million dollar houses here, I mean not everyone is in show business....I will let you know if I find out.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:20 PM

67 posts, read 206,899 times
From Atlanta to L.A., it is truly a different culture. I loved the move. I have a 3 year old and private daycare in Atlanta was much more expensive than here. I also enjoy the eclectic selection of foods and activities unavailable in Atlanta. The few things I thought Atlanta was better:
1. housing options
2. more laid back atmosphere
3. less frenetic pace

Old 10-09-2007, 01:54 PM

253 posts, read 1,106,988 times
Wink From one BAP to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap_diva View Post
Hi,
I'm new to this board. I am currently living in MD and I plan to move to CA next year, where I have lived in the past. Recently, I've begun to think that maybe i should consider Atlanta. There I'd be able to afford a home and I think that as an attorney, I'd probably have a pretty decent quality of live. The problem is, I am from NY and I think that MD is slow. I don't want to move to an even slower place for the sole purpose of being able to buy property. I have a nine year old son and I want him to be able to have fun on the weekends, get a quality education AND grow up in a house - which i didn't not have the privilege of doing. I think our experience will be better in Los Angeles as far as meeting diverse groups of ppl go, but, most of my friends have found great success in Atl and I'm wondering if in moving there over staying here (one of the worst housing/job markets in the country) or going to another big city where they'd be sure to struggle, if they know something i don't. I don't believe life is supposed to be simple, you see something you want, go and get it. I loved Ladera Heights when I first moved to LA after college, now, i'm an attorney and soon i'll be able to afford it, but, will my child have children of his own by then?
If I were you I'd chose LA. I too orginiate from NYC & have since moved to Center City Philly. I have found although I live in the heart of things and have everything at my feet here the lifestyle still isn't quite what it is in NY. For one thing I think LA is a lot more diverse which is something I find appealing.I also think the weather is better in LA and there are more money making opportunities there. The cost of living may be higher but its a better place to live. This is just my 2 cents for what its worth!

Did you recently obtain your JD. I almost went to law school last year but held of (again). I have been tossing around the idea of going back to school for my JD but I'm still undecided if it fits in with my current career objectives. If I do I'd practice in Cali. Have you taken the Cali bar yet?Good luck whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles