U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times

Advertisements

Ah, so the only people who see downtown in a positive light are people who own something downtown, or work for the Downtown News....?

Well, I don't fall into either category. Guess I'm just not 'real'.

And as I stated in a prior post, I appreciated the poster giving some honest opinions based on first-hand experiences. Regardless, I stick by the statements me and so many others have made regarding downtown districts: there is a helluva lot of variety down there, especially now with all the new developments and residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
THANK YOU!!!

Finally get to see a real post by someone not financially invested in downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM

79 posts, read 155,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
THANK YOU!!!

Finally get to see a real post by someone not financially invested in downtown.
I'm not financially invested in downtown, and I love it. Anyways, it seems that you wanted to find something who didn't like downtown, and couldn't, if this is the first post out of all the post before that had something negative about downtown.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 989 times
I recently visited LA and was very curious about the neighbourhoods of South Central. I think it was a mix of my love for Hip Hop music and a deep scepticism about the way the inner city is still portrayed to the world.
I decided to play it safe and do a tour of Nickerson Gardens, Athens Park and Kelly Park just using google street view on my laptop. Hey! If we have the technology right!?

I was shot. Twice.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 AM

29,100 posts, read 22,737,462 times
You do not "have to" avoid any place.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Personally I think Hollywood is sketchy. Lots of bums and homeless people around there. Went to Roro's Chicken around Cherokee and Sunset and lots of shady looking people; by that I mean homeless, bums, gangsta types and more lower-income looking. West Hollywood is much better.
Weho = Yuppy central. Not a huge fan.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,439,174 times
West Hollywood is kind of overrated

Old 04-09-2012, 01:17 PM

68 posts, read 103,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigusa517 View Post
Went to LA as expected in the middle of January, and felt pretty safe in the whole west LA area as hollywood, west hollywood, noho, calabasas, venice and etc, also it was fine in Anaheim and surrounding areas,
I didnt like Downtown LA and didnt feel safe out there, at the day-time its feels like little Mexico (spanish Harlem), at the night its crawling with homeless people, whom i dont consider friendly people (there is a big difference between homeless in NY and LA),
So anyways, thanks everyone who had given me advices on this thread!
I'm curious to hear what you think the differences are. I think there are more in LA, but I can't think of a difference in attitude. When it comes to schizophrenics for instance, pinpointing a type of personality can obviously be difficult. Anyway, just curious to hear thoughts on this.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,535,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilove View Post
I'm curious to hear what you think the differences are. I think there are more in LA, but I can't think of a difference in attitude. When it comes to schizophrenics for instance, pinpointing a type of personality can obviously be difficult. Anyway, just curious to hear thoughts on this.
I honestly find the homeless in LA to be fairly "friendly" - AKA non-threatening. They'll ask for change and if you say no, that is that.

When I lived in Boston (significantly less homeless), I found the homeless would badger you even after you politely said no to them.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM

203 posts, read 491,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I honestly find the homeless in LA to be fairly "friendly" - AKA non-threatening. They'll ask for change and if you say no, that is that.

When I lived in Boston (significantly less homeless), I found the homeless would badger you even after you politely said no to them.
Yea I feel they're harmless here. Some are even funny as hell. The day the Lakers played Game 7 against the Celtics in 2010, I took a pic of one bum who drew a Lakers jersey as his T-Shirt, and had a sign said "Please help feed me, I'm a Laker fan!" I gave him $5

Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 PM

68 posts, read 103,646 times
The homeless in any given city are generally "harmless", I think. Aside from a few rare cases.
(Even here there have been some very violent cases with the homeless.)
The only major difference I see in LA is that there are significantly more of them. It continues to be considered the "homeless capital" of the country. Now with the numbers on skid row rising again, the city's plans to "eliminate" homelessness have been thwarted.
Anyway, I didn't mean to change the direction of this thread completely, I was just curious when the OP mentioned differences between the homeless in NY and LA. I don't think there are, outside of numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or