U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 PM

21 posts, read 47,216 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been researching LA for a while. I am planning a trip out there to look at some apartments. I don't want to waste time looking in areas that do not meet my standards.

Basically, I would like to know this:

1. Is it less expensive to live in LA County or the city?

2. What are the most diverse and safest neighborhoods/area of LA County and city?

Also, a co worker told me that North Hollywood is an inexpensive and diverse area. I've researched NoHo and I'm getting mixed opinions about the area. If you know anything about NoHo, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
More depends on proximity to where you'll be working.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM

671 posts, read 1,914,859 times
Like John said, you have to know where you'll be working first before you can think about these things.

Living too far from your job can be miserable in L.A. because the traffic is so bad. Many people move to L.A. and hate it here because they made the mistake of living too far from their job.

There are nice neighborhoods scattered throughout the whole county. Once you have a job, I'm sure you can get a recommendation for a good neighborhood a few miles from your work.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,830,057 times
L.A. City is inside L.A. County, of course, but we assume you're talking about unincorporated county areas and those cities in the county that aren't part of the City of L.A. (e.g., Burbank, San Fernando, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica). I'd expect Santa Monica and, of course, Beverly Hills, to be costlier than many places in the City of L.A., but both the city and county are so diverse, in terms of geography and costs, that I don't think you can easily make a blanket statement about city vs. county. NoHo (part of the City of L.A.), like many other places, can vary from one neighborhood to the next. Once you know your job location, you can narrow down what places are feasible. You need to see it firsthand, and maybe talk to property management companies (deal with rentals, both for owners and renters), either independent ones or those that are part of larger real estate companies. They should be able to give you an idea of possible rentals in your price range. Once you kinow what's feasible in terms of transportation and prices, you can look at a few places without thinking of the entire L.A. County area (which is absolutely huge-- includes desert cities such as Lancaster). Getting a short term rental and then looking around, and walking with people (incl. co-workers), to find someplace for the long haul, is a decent idea.

"Diverse" is a very vague term. For some it means a variety of cultures, languages, incomes. For others it means not an all-white, or all-black or all-Latino, etc. area.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 PM

21 posts, read 47,216 times
I work from home. Also by diverse I mean black, white, latino, etc. I would prefer NOT to live in an area that is mostly one ethnicity.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,010,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100% View Post
I work from home. Also by diverse I mean black, white, latino, etc. I would prefer NOT to live in an area that is mostly one ethnicity.
Most areas of LA are fairly diverse by nationwide standards.

You can research demographic info on wikipedia, and largely its going to depend on what type of lifestyle you want to lead, if you will be buying or renting, and how much you can afford.

In general, I've found the most diverse areas to be Culver City, Long Beach, Pasadena, and Lakewood.

Long Beach - 46% white, 13.5% african american, 13% Asian, 40% latino, 20% other(lots of the white population is actually latino hence the numbers don't add to 100%). Keep in mind that Long Beach is a HUGE city(456,000 people) and as such has some small areas that are dominated by one or two ethnic groups.

Lakewood - 56% white, 9% african american, 8% asian, 30% latino.

Culver City - 60% white, 10% african american, 15% asian, 23% latino

Pasadena - 55% white, 11% african american, 14% asian, 33% latino

As far as diversity...North Hollywood is kinda segregated where one area is almost entirely latino, and the No Ho Arts area is sorta mixed, but predominately white/armenian/russian. I dunno, just seems a bit of an odd recommendation unless you need cheaper prices.

This doesn't mean you should be closed off to other areas. Pricing on rent is generally the same in all "safe" areas. 1 bedrooms in most of the areas I listed will run $1100-1400/mo with little variation. So its not like you would be saving by living in a less desireable area.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:21 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,288 posts, read 1,617,161 times
Eagle Rock is pretty ethnically diverse. It's in the city of LA. It's fairly safe, but there are some dodgy patches. Parts are still inexpensive. ER was considered up and coming years back. It upped and came.

Highland Park is starting to get more diverse socio-economically, but ethnically it's primarily working class Mexicans. It's just below Eagle Rock. It's called up and coming, but extremely slow at coming. Rents are still cheap. There are pockets that nicer than others. Since you don't mention kids, you don't need to worry about schools.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM

76 posts, read 194,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100% View Post
Hi,

I have been researching LA for a while. I am planning a trip out there to look at some apartments. I don't want to waste time looking in areas that do not meet my standards.

Basically, I would like to know this:

1. Is it less expensive to live in LA County or the city?

2. What are the most diverse and safest neighborhoods/area of LA County and city?

Also, a co worker told me that North Hollywood is an inexpensive and diverse area. I've researched NoHo and I'm getting mixed opinions about the area. If you know anything about NoHo, please share your thoughts.

Thanks!
Regarding your question about NoHo. I've lived here for a few years and love it. If you're looking for diversity, look no further. In my apartment alone, there's one of every race. It's like it's a small world. My closest neighbors are Czech and Black. Others on my floor (whom I've spoken to get details) are German, Irish, Armenian, Columbian, Argentinian, etc.

I went to a show with my friend here in NoHo last weekend where the theater had randomly picked guests to participate on stage. My friend turned to me and said, "You'd think they picked these people to be politically correct." You saw one every race up there. It was a proud moment for me. That's one of the many reasons I was attracted to the area.

Good luck and happy home hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or