Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM

369 posts, read 557,798 times

Advertisements

I've read some of the threads on here about Eagle Rock, but they seem from a couple of years back. So what's Eagle Rock like now, safety-wise? I'm looking around the Eagle Rock Blvd/Colorado Blvd. areas.

Also, have prices gone up over there? Lease prices are quite comparable to Pasadena...

And given a choice to live in either Eagle Rock or Sierra Madre, which would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Personally, I would pick Sierra Madre over Eagle Rock because SM is much prettier and safer than ER.

SM is also closer to Pasadena and Arcadia, which are both A++ cities in my book.

If you go to DTLA or the Hollywood/Westside area often, then ER is for you.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM

362 posts, read 817,531 times
Personally, Sierra Madre...

But it depends on what kind of lifestyle you are after.

ER will be closer to multiple night life options - DTLA, Pasadena, Silverlake, Echo Park.

SM will be close to Pas but a bit of a hike to the other areas.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
I've read some of the threads on here about Eagle Rock, but they seem from a couple of years back. So what's Eagle Rock like now, safety-wise? I'm looking around the Eagle Rock Blvd/Colorado Blvd. areas.

Also, have prices gone up over there? Lease prices are quite comparable to Pasadena...

And given a choice to live in either Eagle Rock or Sierra Madre, which would you choose?
Eagle Rock is safe and diverse and everyone pretty much gets along over there.

Property values and rent prices have not fallen as in other areas and have actually increased.

I'd pick Eagle Rock over Sierra Madre unless I had kids - Eagle Rock, while its schools are "LAUSD good", that isn't saying much. "LAUSD good" is not really "good". I don't know enough about Sierra Madre to say much about it other than that it's more isolated from the rest of L.A.

Last edited by majoun; 01-11-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks so much for the info, everyone. I've actually just called the Eagle Rock police department (before I saw your responses) and the officer said the area is okay, but he wouldn't recommend walking out alone at night. And he mentioned gangs being a problem in the area..

Prices do seem to be quite high for the location, so I guess I'll focus my attention elsewhere for my search.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
Eagle Rock is safer than Highland Park, but let's not kid ourselves and compare it to Los Feliz or even lower Glendale. It's got a very hipsterish vibe with the vast majority of new residents being under 30, white & pierced or tatted out. I just had brunch over at Auntie Em's last month and it looked like it was overrun by a horde of groupies from Coachella or Burning Man.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
I'd pick SM over ER, especially if convenient transportation is not an issue. Not knocking ER, but the smaller the city, the better city services are. The only drawback (IMHO) to SM is that it is the only city in L.A. County that has a volunteer fire department, although paramedic services are provided by the L.A. County FD. Be aware that cable/satellite TV is a must in SM, due to it's geographic location in reference to Mt. Wilson.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I'd pick SM over ER, especially if convenient transportation is not an issue. Not knocking ER, but the smaller the city, the better city services are. The only drawback (IMHO) to SM is that it is the only city in L.A. County that has a volunteer fire department, although paramedic services are provided by the L.A. County FD. Be aware that cable/satellite TV is a must in SM, due to it's geographic location in reference to Mt. Wilson.
I'm thinking of not even getting cable anymore, but you mean it gets poor antenna reception because of the mountains?

I think Time Warner services that area, right?

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,390 times
This is really a quiet interesting information you have posted here. Keep it up.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:27 PM

126 posts, read 673,587 times
Eagle Rock is still hit and miss. Some streets are great. Some streets have a dilapidated house every third house. It's pretty safe, but it's not Sierra Madre safe. Gangs are more of an issue down Eagle Rock Blvd by York and on the Figueroa side between York and Yosemite. However, the Pasadena schools that service Sierra Madre supposedly have worse API rankings than the LAUSD schools that service Eagle Rock, if that's a consideration for you. There is a hilly area of Eagle Rock south of Yosemite in which you can get the Sierra Madre canyon lifestyle without the Sierra Madre canyon pricetag. That area is great, in my opinion. Some quirky residents there, but they care a lot about their neighborhood. Live where you feel the most comfortable. I recently read an article in the Boulevard Sentinel in which they interviewed the ONE officer that patrolled Eagle Rock regularly, and he said that ER has mostly lifestyle crimes (described as graffiti, vagrants). He made it sound like he spends most of his time handing out shelter information to homeless people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles