U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 PM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times

Advertisements

So nice to see something other than the usual whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,293,102 times
Good advice for folks who have moved to areas other than LA, come to think of it. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM

124 posts, read 198,381 times
Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
JerZ already touched on these, but I’d like to emphasize:

-Resist the temptation to limit your weekly experiences to your own neighborhood. Force yourself to visit other areas within the greater metro area and realize your 'hood is only one organ within a massive and complex civic body.
This is SUCH an important one, especially if you've moved from a small town. It's all too easy to make up excuses (too far, I don't have time, I'm not familiar, I'll get lost) in order to stay within the relative comfort of your own neighborhood. And that is definitely not something you want to do in a place where there is so much to see and explore.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,643,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveByTheSun View Post
Great post

This is SUCH an important one, especially if you've moved from a small town. It's all too easy to make up excuses (too far, I don't have time, I'm not familiar, I'll get lost) in order to stay within the relative comfort of your own neighborhood. And that is definitely not something you want to do in a place where there is so much to see and explore.
Many natives, myself included, are also often guilty of limiting ourselves to our comfort zones. And then there are people have no desire to take urban adventures whatsoever, regardless of the reward. That second group probably should not be living here in the first place, and they would be better off living elsewhere. I just wish more of them would realize that certain places better meet their subjective preferences rather than making global condemnations about the area. No place can be all things to all people, despite the boostersim.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:24 PM

25,739 posts, read 26,286,346 times
YES to you two above! I was so guilty of this first moving here! I moved from a 2.2 square mile town where I walked to shops, to the library, to...everywhere.

I moved here and I whined about how I couldn't go to town because it wasn't "walkable." In retrospect, what on earth wasn't walkable about Glendora downtown?? Yes, it's a small-ish strip (I'm talking about Glendora Ave., for anyone who knows the area). I had to drive *to* it, yes. But there actually are shops I can walk to anyway. Everything I need is within reach.

"Not walkable..." LOL...I was such a silly bird. It's not like there were snipers in store windows aiming at the sidewalk or flowing lava or something. And besides my walkable town...there are tons and tons of other walkable cute towns. I walk a lot again nowadays.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 AM

459 posts, read 622,989 times
You explained well...I hope you inspire others to step away from their bad views of LA (if they have them) and come visit or stay. It really is a remarkable place.

Thanks for the post!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:15 PM

24 posts, read 59,744 times
What a great post!! I am moving to Glendora a week from today. I live in a small town that has been my home for over 20 years in NC. This post was exactly what I needed to read! I am excited!! Thank you!!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,881 times
Default SoCal commute thoughts

Any advice on the job market and possibilities of a good corporate position? My husband and i may also move to SoCal from Charlotte as his job would be in Rancho Cucamonga. We are targeting to lease a place in Glendora....same as Florida Gators. All these forums really help and I'm hoping to get guidance on job prospects for myself. We are mid 30s, well traveled excluding CA so far, looking for 3bd/3ba 3 car garage if thats offered in Glendora. Looking forward to the awesome weather and limitless options CA offers. i've got a solid global corp resume so am worried I won't find anything near Glendora. What's the max town distance i should search for a job to have decent commute? IE. Is Brea too far?

Thank you FG I'd appreciate any info at all!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,776,482 times
Nice positive post. It's definitely refreshing not seeing the typical crybaby complaints from people expecting perfection.

I love this city very much. It's been my home most of my life and am still having a blast and making new memories every day. It can get though at times, no doubt, but at the end of the day, this is where I want to be.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,017,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Nice positive post. It's definitely refreshing not seeing the typical crybaby complaints from people expecting perfection.

I love this city very much. It's been my home most of my life and am still having a blast and making new memories every day. It can get though at times, no doubt, but at the end of the day, this is where I want to be.
Crybaby complaints from people expecting perfection? Where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles