U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times

Advertisements

Oh hush, nobody was suggesting you... well, maybe a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 01:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,776,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Crybaby complaints from people expecting perfection? Where?
I'll let you know when it inevitably happens again.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 11,017,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Oh hush, nobody was suggesting you... well, maybe a little.
I was more referring to the fact that he thinks a negative comment from LA means a transplant is hating on LA for no reason at all, which is not true. People have their opinion of the city, and not everyone thinks it is the best place in the country.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 AM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Hey all! Occasionally I see people who have moved here from another, very different area and just can't seem to acclimate. I hate to see that because that was me at one time, and that feeling is miserable. So I wanted to offer a ray of hope!

I was so so so miserable here (despite the excellent weather, the excellent schools where I live, etc.) at first simply because it was so very different. I could not make it feel like "home." It's now almost 7 years since we moved here and you know what? This is my home. Not my only one but it truly feels like home and I can finally appreciate what's really awesome about SoCal...which is a lot.

* You need to start making memories here. One thing that's "not homelike" about any new place is simply that you've never had experiences there. It's slightly different if you move to a place that at least superficially reminds you of your original home; there is no place quite like L.A. which is why I bring this point up. Just go to some places, even if they're low key and easygoing, and make memories. Believe it or not, I have awesome Foster Freeze memories (as well as some of the more logical ones like the city and Big Bear, LOL).

* Remember that you're not being "disloyal" to your home turf if you try to make a very different place your "new" home. You will always have the other home too. I feel I have two very firm home bases now (2900 miles apart). It's not disloyalty, any more than loving your second child as much as your first is disloyalty. Let yourself fall in love!

* Remember that at any time, things can change. You may bemoan being in a "strange" place "forever" but look how things turned out for you (and for me). Did you previously envision yourself so far from your original home? But that changed. You don't know that you'll be here forever -- so enjoy it now. You don't realize how much you'll miss the place until you leave it. Which brings me to...

* Do take trips away from this area. They don't have to be "back home" per se. You'll be amazed that after a while, you miss L.A....and that's when you realize there are things you really do like, perhaps already love about the area. Do this, for sure.

* Take advantage of the things this area has to offer! I can go from winter to summer in a 2-hour car ride. The mountains are absolutely beautiful and cradle my little valley. Warm sunshine at midday in January is a godsend. So is not having to shovel or sand. And so is being able to take a walk any day I want to practically, or plan an outdoor event months in advance because the chance of being rained out is very very minimal, and the chance of being snowed out is basically nonexistent.

This area of the nation is amazing! Enjoy it. You really never know what tomorrow may bring. Enjoy it right now, for however long it lasts -- a year or forever. There is no other place quite like the L.A. area. It is an experience all by itself if you let it be.

Love,

JerZ
Thanks for a real good post with a good attitude. Of course there will always be some that will not adjust to a new surrounding. There will also be those who, had a vision of Los Angeles that was just to unrealistic, and there are those who will enjoy a smaller city, but you are right. It can take time, look at the bright side of everything, don't dwell on what might have been or expect Los Angeles to do like, where ever. It has it's own personality.

I do disagree slightly with you: there will always be people who are going to miss the 4 seasons. For them So Ca is not the answer, but they should understand this before relocating.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:10 PM

193 posts, read 405,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I was more referring to the fact that he thinks a negative comment from LA means a transplant is hating on LA for no reason at all, which is not true. People have their opinion of the city, and not everyone thinks it is the best place in the country.
Theres a fine line between gripes (which all those who absolutely love LA, like myself, and those who just dont find it the place for them have) and straight up whining. I am actually not thinking of you as a whiner, because I really do not know you well enough, but Im referring to others Ive known, usually from NorCal (in my experience) and hating it before they even been here

Honestly I dont even need or expect a turnaround like the OP had. I already know LA is really not the place for everyone, even though its perfect for me. However, in the end, the whiners seem to be very vocal, no matter how small of a percentage they are

(remember I am NOT referring to you, just that your post inspired me to make mine)

Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 PM

218 posts, read 319,238 times
Well yet again LA has given me the unexpected. So last week or so I went to City Walk to eat and then unexpectedly found myself at a concert of some of the former American Idol contestants at City Walk. I didn't even know they were there but it was nice and free!

So today I went to get something to eat in Glendale and as I was leaving I noticed the street was closed off. So I asked a police officer what was going on. He said there was a car show they were preparing for and all of the classic cars were entering the closed off area and setting up. While I was waiting and watching all of the cars entering I ended up talking to and meeting a nice lady and her husband. The wife just so happens to be from Bethesda, MD which is a suburb of Washington DC where I'm from. Small world so we're all going to meet at another car show coming up. How's that for an LA newbie? So to all the LA newcomers and those thinking about moving here keep an open mind and get out and meet people and do things. Now I'm exhausted and after eating Porto's bakery cheesecake and potato balls *burp* I am ready to relax. Tomorrow another adventure in Malibu bright and early in the morning. This place has a lot to offer sometimes you have to seek it out and sometimes it may come to you.

Signed,

DCNita
20 day LA Newbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles