U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:20 AM

237 posts, read 595,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I also wonder if there is also a lack of competition with squirrels in the LA area.

In eastern cities, any patch of park and yard with trees has its residents squirrels. I think in the LA area, you have to go up into the mountains.

So you don't rodent competition. Maybe.
Squirrels are ubiquitous throughout the LA area, both in the city and suburbs. Those darn things are everywhere how can you NOT see them. I've seen plenty in Hancock Park and Windsor just as ONE example in the city. Any street, even in the city, with a few trees and power lines is a good candidate. And the suburbs, from Pasadena to Burbank to El Monte to Whittier to Fullerton to Fontana are chock full of them. Temecula has the snakes, as well . Squirrels like your roof, as well. Frankly, just about any neighborhood, even in Manhattan, will have squirrels. Not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,359,267 times
Quote:
and one was crawling and jumping around a palm tree...
Hahahah. I've never seen a rat jump around a tree. Sounds like it was having a great time.

I've been in LA for over 2 years now and I've never seen a rat. Never saw one in my 3 years of living in San Diego either.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM

5,845 posts, read 11,140,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
Squirrels are ubiquitous throughout the LA area, both in the city and suburbs. Those darn things are everywhere how can you NOT see them. I've seen plenty in Hancock Park and Windsor just as ONE example in the city. Any street, even in the city, with a few trees and power lines is a good candidate. And the suburbs, from Pasadena to Burbank to El Monte to Whittier to Fullerton to Fontana are chock full of them. Temecula has the snakes, as well . Squirrels like your roof, as well. Frankly, just about any neighborhood, even in Manhattan, will have squirrels. Not a big deal.
I just moved here. And I live kind in a more centralized urban part of LA. (Palms near Sepulveda and Venice). Maybe thats why.

Although I have been hitting the hiking trails, so I do see wildlife. Today I'm going to Malibu canyon state park, (where MASH was filmed).

I've seen quail so far around Pt. Dume. As well as all the marine life.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 AM

5,845 posts, read 11,140,953 times
Also noticed: Hummingbirds are much more common right in the middle of the city, than in the midwest. Climate, year yound flowers, closer to the tropics, etc. has something to do with that.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,231,927 times
Quote:
Hahahah. I've never seen a rat jump around a tree. Sounds like it was having a great time.
Probably in anticipation of munching on a pigeon egg.

Quote:
I've been in LA for over 2 years now and I've never seen a rat. Never saw one in my 3 years of living in San Diego either
They're very sneaky. Don't be alarmed, but one is getting ready to jump on you right now.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,261,294 times
My father used to be a manager of an apartment in the Downtown LA area--a 56 unit "luxury" apartment.

Lots of rats, mice, and roaches.

The denser the apartment complex, then more pests it has. No matter what is sprayed and what trap is set, they will always come back... they come from the outside and spread within the walls.

Those new fancy lofts in Downtown LA will be roach and mice/rat infested within years--if they already aren't.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:46 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,231,927 times
Quote:
I looked it up.

I guess I am referring to roof rats, or black rats. As opposed to norway rats or brown rats.

Apparently although they are a serious and dangerous pest (in terms of spreading disease) they are not as aggressive as the brown rats, and are more limited to warmer climates. Thats probably why I didn't see as many rats back in the midwest because there are only brown/norway rats and they were more subterranean.

Interesting. Still, stories?
Interesting yes, but don't get a pest controller started. While our stories about contacts with dogs may be humorous, our stories about rats lean more to the creepy side.

For example, one terrified homeowner sprinkled poison bait throught his home, even though his dog lived indoors, and he still did not solve his rat problem. (The rat was living in a vase by the front door, and was probably thriving on the readily available pet food.) Another homeowner placed more than 100 lbs. of bait in his attic, and the rats responded by chewing through the wires of his brand new BMW.

One client's dog died, and the following day a rat entered the home through the doggy door. Another client owned five cats, yet they (and several exterminators) were unable to clear the home of rats. I turned one home inside out before I discovered a rat living inside a large model airplane which was beneath the bed of their teenage son.

Ah, the memories.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:46 AM

378 posts, read 661,234 times
You just reminded me of the time my husband's truck wasn't working right. He limped it to the dealership, and when they lifted the hood and started looking around, they found a dead rat that had chewed the wiring. The whole situation was pretty hilarious, actually. The mechanics were all standing around snapping pictures with their phones. We like to make jokes about truck rats.

I guess because our backyard abuts a small wild area, we see the rats more. We also get the rest of 'em. Raccoons, opossums (or, "poooooosuuuuuuuuums..." if you're a fan), coyotes, and whatnot. I have to keep my palm tree cut back or the orioles go crazy building nests, and the rats and raccoons all run up there to feast. At least rats don't scream at 3am.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM

448 posts, read 1,423,979 times
I have 2 cats. No rat problem. =o)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles