U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 AM

59 posts, read 149,756 times

Advertisements

I am a 30/single/ male moving to LA, I will be working in hollywood/ SM, where would be a good place to live for a guy like me? My price range is $2000-$2400/month. I prefer a 2 bedroom if that is doable, and I do have a small dog as well. I appreciate the advice in advance,

John
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 AM

313 posts, read 676,384 times
If you are working in Santa Monica, why not Santa Monica?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,327,165 times
I second Santa Monica. West Hollywood if you are a gay Russian because W.H is most Russian and gays.

Just kidding about you being gay though. But seriously, if you are working in SM you dont really want to live in the valley and deal with the commute.

If you are moving here from Philly for a new job, you MUST ask your new employer for recommendations on where to live as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,830,978 times
OP says they'll be working in "hollywood/ SM," which could mean they are working in more than one location or just somehwere between the two areas (which aren't adjacent), which covers a lot of territory (Santa Monica? Westwood? Century City? West Hollywood? Beverly Hills? Hollywood?). Until they clarify that, kind of hard to make suggestions. They could start looking at ads, and maybe contact a property management company (real estate offices dealing with rentals and working with both owners and renters) to see what they have in their inventory. The L.A. Times should have lots of ads, as should many Web sites.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM

62 posts, read 126,547 times
If I were 30 and single moving to LA, I'd opt for WeHo. Studio City is terrific, but to get a younger/single pulse on the area, West Hollywood would be great for your first few years here.

P.s. Most areas in WeHo aren't that "gay".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
West Hollywood if you are a gay Russian because W.H is most Russian and gays.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:29 PM

245 posts, read 620,104 times
Out of the 3 choices I vote for West Hollywood. It's between Santa Monica and Hollywood and you'll find it's extremely dog friendly. The city has plenty of things to do day or night. Most places are at a comfortable walking distance (for your dog also). Plus I love the year round climate in WeHo. It can be in the 100s in Studio City/Sherman Oaks and it'll just be in the 80s in West Hollywood. Unless you like some heat during parts of the year of course.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:05 PM

59 posts, read 149,756 times
thanks for advice so far, I will clarify. I am opening a restaurant in SM and Hollywood, moving from Carlsbad, SAn Diego. So I will have to commute maybe daily from SM to Hollywood etc. Is $2300-$2500 doable for a nice place, in a nice area (as listed above) with two bedrooms? thanks

fyi- not gay, or russian

Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,014,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usan8v View Post
thanks for advice so far, I will clarify. I am opening a restaurant in SM and Hollywood, moving from Carlsbad, SAn Diego. So I will have to commute maybe daily from SM to Hollywood etc. Is $2300-$2500 doable for a nice place, in a nice area (as listed above) with two bedrooms? thanks

fyi- not gay, or russian
Yes that price is doable in nice areas for a 2 bd apartment somewhere between Hollywood and Santa Monica, including in both of those cities.

At that price range you won't have an issue. Just about anywhere in that area is nice. Since you are in So Cal, I recommend just driving around and seeing what you like.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,555,371 times
West Hollywood is the place to be. I live here and love it; I find Studio City and Sherman Oaks too boring and family oriented and too quiet for me. West Hollywood is not all gay and Russian; plenty of straight people too; it's considered a very exclusive and upscale and "hot" and "happening" and very desirable place to live. Lots of single females live in WeHo. Weho is tiny; it's only like 2 miles long and Beverly Hills adjacent.

I hate driving into the Valley; I didn't come to L.A to live in the valley but in L.A proper.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM

68 posts, read 142,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
West Hollywood is the place to be. I live here and love it; I find Studio City and Sherman Oaks too boring and family oriented and too quiet for me. West Hollywood is not all gay and Russian; plenty of straight people too; it's considered a very exclusive and upscale and "hot" and "happening" and very desirable place to live. Lots of single females live in WeHo. Weho is tiny; it's only like 2 miles long and Beverly Hills adjacent.

I hate driving into the Valley; I didn't come to L.A to live in the valley but in L.A proper.
Hate is a 4 letter word missy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or