U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,226 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I ( a couple and a 1yr baby boy) are considering taking a job in LA and move there. The company is in Venice. What is the good place for me to live?

Some details:

I probably will start by renting a place - preferable 1500+ sqft since I own a 2200 sqft house right now and need space. I know the traffic is pretty bad in LA, that is why I need some advices from you guys. I am comfortable to pay a rent $2000-$3000/mon. I guess a good place in my head is safe, nice looking and convenient traffic.

Then, I will proceed to buy a house in LA, the price range < $850K. What are the good places to buy? Similar standard, maybe plus good school district.

Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_to_be View Post
Hi,

My family and I ( a couple and a 1yr baby boy) are considering taking a job in LA and move there. The company is in Venice. What is the good place for me to live?

Some details:

I probably will start by renting a place - preferable 1500+ sqft since I own a 2200 sqft house right now and need space. I know the traffic is pretty bad in LA, that is why I need some advices from you guys. I am comfortable to pay a rent $2000-$3000/mon. I guess a good place in my head is safe, nice looking and convenient traffic.

Then, I will proceed to buy a house in LA, the price range < $850K. What are the good places to buy? Similar standard, maybe plus good school district.

Thank you much!
You should be able to find something in Culver City, Mar Vista, Westchester, Venice, or West LA on your budget. I don't think you'll find a SFR in Santa Monica that is 1500sq ft for rent at that price range. All are close enough that even in the worst traffic its 30 minute drive max, but more likely 5-15 minutes. Westside Rentals may be you best resource.

As far as purchase, the good school district requirement messes with that. All of the Westside except Santa Monica and Culver City are covered by LAUSD. You won't find anything in Santa Monica in your price range and size specs. You will find something in Culver City including the nicer areas, but schools are mostly just ok to above average and I think you'll be very disappointed by what you are getting for your money. You might also find something in El Segundo, which has great schools, but you'll need to be here in LA to decide if that commute works for you.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanks JohnG72!

El Segundo seems to be close to Venice for commuting (17min), but too close to LAX. Is the plane noise a problem?

I was so hoping Culver City would work out for the house purchase.

Another question, with the 850K house, how much property tax I would end up paying per year?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Thanks JohnG72!

El Segundo seems to be close to Venice for commuting (17min), but too close to LAX. Is the plane noise a problem?

I was so hoping Culver City would work out for the house purchase.

Another question, with the 850K house, how much property tax I would end up paying per year?
The commute from El Segundo to Venice MAY be 17 minutes. But theres issues getting through the airport area. I'm not aware of the every day traffic pattern there, thats why I said you'd need to be here to decide if it works for you.

I don't have direct experience with residential El Segundo. But my brother used to own a house in Playa Del Rey, on the north side of the airport and very close to the airport. Several years ago, all the homes in the area were given upgraded windows and a few other things in an effort to soundproof. Due to this, I never noticed any airplane noise in the house. I would think its likely El Segundo is the same. Also I do not believe El Seguno is in the flight path. Planes arrive from the east and fly over Inglewood. When they take off, they fly directly over the ocean.

Culver City is a great area. I would have no problem living there. I just think its overpriced(like all the westside) as far as home purchase prices. Nothing wrong with Culver City at all.

Property taxes vary on the local area but should be around $8500-11K per year for a $850K property.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
the planes are noticeable in playa del rey and el segundo, but you get used to it quickly. el segundo though is not close to venice during commuting hours. if you could do it under 30 minutes it would be a good day, lincoln blvd is a complete disaster during rush hour. culver city seems like a good option if you'll want to send your child to public schools when they get to that age. $850k will get you a decent sized house (1500-2000sf) in culver city that is in good condition. as for renting in the meantime, $3k for a rental home should give you plenty of options. mar vista is the neighborhood directly east of venice and has some nice single family home areas where you should be able to find something.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM

23 posts, read 34,304 times
Maybe you could consider Marina Del Rey?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,658,260 times
Culver City and Westchester are good options for you. Maybe even Inglewood on La Cienega near the 405, that area is affordable and safe with the access to the 405. But traffic is a pain in the ass in the morning.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks all.

I heard Brentwood is a great place to live (more expensive too). Is it imaginable (traffic wise) to buy a house in Brentwood and commute to Venice?

Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 PM

7,141 posts, read 19,527,516 times
Quote:
Thanks all.

I heard Brentwood is a great place to live (more expensive too). Is it imaginable (traffic wise) to buy a house in Brentwood and commute to Venice?
that's a reasonable commute no doubt, but $850k might get you a 2br 1,000sf house in brentwood.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks. I checked zillow on the recently sold property in brentwood area.

Most of the deals are not that outrageous, some are incredibly cheap

I guess foreclosure is involved - but many are still 'too good to be true' cheap.

One example:

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Count David; 01-17-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: new members are not allowed to post links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or