Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 PM

126 posts, read 364,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm looking at Pasadena a year from now when my lease is up.

I'm 31 and recently moved to LA. I chose an area on Sepulveda near the 405 and the 10 to be centrally located my first year here to be close to attractions, employment, but Pasadena seems more of my community. I moved from Oak Park, IL 8 miles west of Chicago, which is a charming historic suburb where you have a balance of diverse/cosmopolitan and cozy, community oriented, and Pasadena seems similar to that.

I too live near the 405 & 10 in WLA. I am currently in escrow and just started looking at condos in Pasadena. I also moved to WLA to be centrally located but when you have Venice Blvd to the south of you and Olympic to the north you wonder where you can escape the miserable sights of Venice blvd but not have to pay the high prices of the areas north. We are also seeking that balance of a diverse/cosmopolitian area like Pasadena. The westside is ok if your wealthy enough to afford property in WLA, Century City, Santa Monica, etc but if you are not that wealthy you are stuck in the deteriorating parts of LA like Palms and Mar Vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:50 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,585,549 times
Desperate to buy = bad.

Especially when renting is ridiculously cheaper than buying.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,045,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaplex View Post
I too live near the 405 & 10 in WLA. I am currently in escrow and just started looking at condos in Pasadena. I also moved to WLA to be centrally located but when you have Venice Blvd to the south of you and Olympic to the north you wonder where you can escape the miserable sights of Venice blvd but not have to pay the high prices of the areas north. We are also seeking that balance of a diverse/cosmopolitian area like Pasadena. The westside is ok if your wealthy enough to afford property in WLA, Century City, Santa Monica, etc but if you are not that wealthy you are stuck in the deteriorating parts of LA like Palms and Mar Vista.
Yeah, its Palms/Mar Vista that I live in. Its not that bad. Yeah, theres not a whole lot going on, and there are some run down commercial areas, although I do live in a nice apartment complex. (Still think its overpriced though).

But like I said I do like Pasadena for reasons stated already and will most likely be looking there at the end of the year.

Sounds like we do have in common in terms of our LA residential preference.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:09 AM

34 posts, read 79,842 times
Great school district!

Old 02-06-2012, 01:36 PM

401 posts, read 764,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniechien View Post
Great school district!
in Pasadena?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM

68 posts, read 165,292 times
Quote:
Great school district!
(double take, spits out drink)

Wha?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 PM

74 posts, read 130,514 times
Quote:
Great school district!
Pasadena has NEVER had a good school district. That's why so many private schools.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 PM

74 posts, read 130,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Lexo View Post
(double take, spits out drink)

Wha?
Wanna napkin?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 PM

68 posts, read 165,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius4U View Post
Wanna napkin?
And a cup of coffee....

Pasadena has arguably the worst schools in the state. A city made up of mostly non white working class and poor youth, but with a large enough community of old money to support a huge number of private schools, you are left with an incredibly underserved school district, in a city that sells itself as a land of the prosperous and therefor doesn't even support a narrative that these schools are struggling and need help. At least LAUSD attracts young ambitious teachers who are aware of the need. Many people have no idea what PUSD schools are like.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,834,298 times
There are two sides to Pasadena--the side you see on Green Ave, Colorado Blvd, Walnut Ave, Arroyo Pwy, etc. Cool stores, nice trees, expensive looking houses...

And then there's the northwest side. That side is like Highland Park and East Los Angeles rolled into one. You don't want to live there. There are better areas of Pasadena to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles