Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 15,323 times

Advertisements

My 19 year old daughter and her friend will be moving to the North Hollywood area next month. Their budget is $1000 for a one bedroom. Obviously, my concern is their safety. Can you help us with safe neighborhoods? Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks, North Hollywood, Valley Village? Help please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
Why these specific areas, and not the many others around them? They've found some possible rentals within the price range? If so, giving specific addresses (or at least nearest intersection) helps, since situatins can vary widely from one block to another. Have they talked with a property management (rental) company, which might be handling a large number of rentals? Where will they be working? They should not consider renting before seeing a place, of course. I grew up in Van Nuys, but have been gone for many years.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 AM

448 posts, read 1,606,021 times
I have lived in many different parts of the San fernando valley all my life and even different parts of North Hollywood. North Hollywood spans a very large distance, north-south. As a general rule of thumb, staying south of Oxnard st is ideal in North Hollywood. It's more developed, safe and more to do for your daughter. Her age demographic will fit right into the area. That budget should be fine for a decent 1 br apartment.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
The should be fine. They are very young so my concerns would be where they end up spending their time, what kind of hours they keep, do they have reliable cars, etc. Hopefully they will be going to school there or something to keep them occupied and in good company.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Thank you for your concern. They are very young. My daughter is very goal oriented. She is a dancer and is moving to work on her career. The store she works for now is helping her by transferring her to the Sherman Oaks Town Center Shopping Mall. She will be taking classes in N. Hollywood. This is why we have chosen these areas. I like N. Hollywood however, I know there are some shady areas. Does Sherman Oaks have bad areas also?

Last edited by terryanddarla; 01-16-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM

76 posts, read 236,666 times
Have lived in Sherman Oaks and now live in North Hollywood, coincidentally near Millenium. You get more bang for your buck in NoHo. Like any neighborhood, there are almost always shady areas. From my experience, the shady parts of Sherman Oaks tend to be near the LA river (lots of homeless), near Sepulveda (hooker problem) and places on the north end of Sherman Oaks.

If your daughter lives near Millenium, then it will be a quick hop skip and a jump to the Shopping mall by taking Riverside Drive. That street usually doesn't have too much traffic. Of course, it all depends on the time of day.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Thank you! It looks like we will concentrate on N. Hollywood area South of Oxnard.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM

What about Millbank/Hazeltine in Sherman Oaks. Looks like its only blocks from the shopping center

Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM

68 posts, read 168,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryanddarla View Post
Thank you! It looks like we will concentrate on N. Hollywood area South of Oxnard.
Yep, good location. The Millenium dance studio is near Magnolia and Lankershim Blvd. The further south you go, the closer you get to Toluca Lake and the more expensive it becomes (in general). She'll likely be happy around the Chandler Blvd and Lankershim Blvd intersection.

I frequent NoHo often since most of my friends live around there and they love it. I've noticed that the apartments vary in price from one to the next, so you'll just need to check them out. Some of the brand new luxury homes may be out of that range, so you'll want to look at some of the established apts. Usually you get a better price and in my eyes more character and charm to boot.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM

29 posts, read 122,497 times
burbank all the way. it will be difficult to find a two bedroom anywhere in L.A. for 1000. You can find it on that budget, but it won't be in the best neighborhood. Search hard for Burbank....

burbank is safe after dark for woman. NOHO and many areas of the true valley are not. Also Burbank has a decent walkable nightlife...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles