Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

I'm really not freaked out about them. Because there is no way for them to come into my new apartment.

But there are a few creeping around in my apartment complexes beautiful courtyard. It really is a super clean looking apartment.

Do you think rats might simply be more visible in LAs perfect climate, rather than northeast/midwest cities where they have to take cover in the crevices.

I saw one creep around the bushes along one small courtyard, and one was crawling and jumping around a palm tree.

The leasing office knows about them, and has an exterminator come.

Are rats a problem in parts of LA even in clean looking areas, because of the nice weather?

In Chicago/midwest I almost never saw them, even though I knew they were around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:09 PM

I looked it up.

I guess I am referring to roof rats, or black rats. As opposed to norway rats or brown rats.

Apparently although they are a serious and dangerous pest (in terms of spreading disease) they are not as aggressive as the brown rats, and are more limited to warmer climates. Thats probably why I didn't see as many rats back in the midwest because there are only brown/norway rats and they were more subterranean.

Interesting. Still, stories?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM

378 posts, read 760,951 times
They are often more visible, even in nice clean areas, if there's plenty of vegetation. I've seen them in open places like the little grass islands in the grocery parking lot. I had one on my back patio who stood there and looked right through the window at me. Though he ran pretty fast when I used my son's AirSoft gun to pelt hit little butt with pellets until he leaped the fence and fled the yard.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM

I also wonder if there is also a lack of competition with squirrels in the LA area.

In eastern cities, any patch of park and yard with trees has its residents squirrels. I think in the LA area, you have to go up into the mountains.

So you don't rodent competition. Maybe.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 AM

611 posts, read 1,600,600 times
Interesting. I've never seen a rat in weho the past 3 years I've been here, but I do see squirrels all the time.
And growing up in OC I saw squirrels and possums pretty much everyday but don't remember seeing rats.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
I grew up in So. Calif. and have lived all over LA County (houses and apartments). Pasadena, Los Feliz, Downtown LA, San Fernando Valley, Hancock Park, etc. The only time I've ever seen a rat was in downtown LA in an alley. And I lived there for 2 years in the mid-2000's and this only happened a few times.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Growing up in the citrus orchards of South OC, I saw enough roof rats to last me the rest of my life. For sport and depredation purposes, I'd sit on the roof of the two story barn and shoot them with .22 dust shot as they scampered across the roof of the house.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I also wonder if there is also a lack of competition with squirrels in the LA area.

In eastern cities, any patch of park and yard with trees has its residents squirrels. I think in the LA area, you have to go up into the mountains.

So you don't rodent competition. Maybe.
Not so many rodents for competition, but we've marsupials. Roving gangs of opossums prowl our streets and eat young rats.

You need to go the County Vermin Abatement Unit the and get a Opossum Opermit. You are allowed three per year, no open carry. Of course, you can always do what we did in high school and stuff a few extras into the pouch of the biggest one. Home Depot usually has a sale on them starting the opening of rat season, the second Saturday in February. Oddly, we had no rat problem until the Raiders moved here.

Anyway...I've only seen 4 rats in all my years here. I saw two on my last trip to Chicago, and at first I thought they were very agile beagles. I guess you just lucked out.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 AM

237 posts, read 668,777 times
The reason they are more "visible" in LA has to do with the fact that we have more vegetation and "housing" for them OUTSIDE your home, this includes bugs. It other parts of the country, especially Chicago (I lived there) and New York that have virtually no places form them in the neighborhoods except INSIDE your home. Please, trash day in Manhattan neighborhoods is a rats feast and heaven. Also, the rats, and bugs, are especially a bigger problem in other cites because they travel from place to place using the utility and heat (for steam) and other tunnels and the fact that a lot of housing/buildings on those cities are right next to each other with absolutely NO space in-between and not nearly the plant life or vegetation that exists between many of our apartment buildings/housing.

Rats will exploit any opening and that includes any means to get into your home, even here. They are curious by nature, but if they can't find food, they will move on. I know this from personal experience. Rats are ubiquitous on this planet, but our rat problem is not even close to other cities' problems. At least here, they can run and frolic and feed in and on those palms trees (a favorite of rats) and other plant life and bugs they find in there as well, not to mention the many places for them to live and feed in the hills and small buffers of vegetation even in dense parts of the city that just don't exist in other major cities of the world. It is when they are in the concrete jungle with no places to hide and desperately seek warmth from the harsh winters that they will find a way into your home, not as likely here as are weather isn't as extreme.

However, while rats here may feed on our fruit trees in the back yard, if one keeps the house sealed and isn't careless with open doors, especially at night, it is really very rare to find rats desperate to get into your home here. It's like at my aunt's home. Oh, yeah, at night there is some rat activity because of the hills and fruit trees she has, but those rats have food to eat and places to live OUTSIDE that don't require them to have to escape anything nor driven by hunger to get in the house. You can have rats in your house, as in UNDER your house and NOT know it here because the food and coverage is so good OUTSIDE, they just go under your house during the day and aren't as active nor as desperate to find food in YOUR house.

Yes, anyone here can get a serious rat problem, but it really is worse in other cities. Your landlord is good to get an exterminator, but getting rid of the foliage that rats like to use as cover is 85% of the problem. You won't see them hardly at all provided the tenants have good practices. But poison feeders and traps would still be wise. Even better, get a few cats. Those felines can be quite effective, and cheaper, too.

Last edited by HarryKerry; 01-14-2012 at 05:13 AM..

Old 01-14-2012, 05:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Protein!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles