U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM

17 posts, read 111,172 times

Advertisements

Wait a minute guys:
The OP says they're recent grads, currently unemployed with a max. budget of $1,000/month for rent (which, everyone living in Greater LA, knows that it is a very limited budget) and people suggest such areas as Beverly Hills, Pacific Palisades and Bel Aire? As if that is even a realistic option for them? They'd have to look EXTREMELY hard to find a closet-sized studio in any of those areas at the very top of their budget, and even that would be doubtful with this budget. Even if they were able to find that, would they be able to handle the cost of living in any of these areas if they're so squeezed for money?
And then people suggest that Beverly Hills and Pacific Palisades have boring nightlife, again, AS IF it is even an option that they can afford to live there.
The OP started the thread looking - I assume - for some realistic advice based on her current situation.

To the OP- of the areas you have mentioned I'd go for the first two. Studio City is actually very conveniently located just a short drive away from the Burbank TV studios, as well as a commutable distance to Hollywood, so it would benefit both of you professionally. I'd definitely look into it.
Hollywood itself may be another option, though it might be a bit more pricey because of the proximity to where all the action is.
I believe you should be able to find stuff within your budget in any of the 4 areas you mentioned.
Also, here's another idea: you can look to rent a room in someone's house, if having a bit less privacy doesn't bother you. It tends to be much more economical (usually it comes with all or most bills included) and you get to benefit from living in an actual full-sized house with a full kitchen, good living space, possibly a backyard etc. If you're lucky, you may be able to find a room with its own en-suite bathroom, so you'd only have to share the kitchen and living areas with the other tenants.
I believe you could easily find something very decent for $500-$700/month with this arrangement, and you would be saving money while looking for jobs and preparing to move to your own apartment.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 PM

276 posts, read 934,535 times
You have been given very good/decent advice, however stay away from Beverly Hills if you only have $1000 for rent.

In fact Studio City as well. Used to own a home in the hills of Studio City over 30 years ago, and the area has seen changes, but still very decent, South of Ventura. There is a mix of everyone and everything!

Good Luck~

Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM

10 posts, read 10,266 times
Thank you both! I didn't even bother looking into the Beverly Hills area - I know enough about the area to know I could never afford a decent place on my budget.

I hadn't considered renting a room, but it sounds like a good deal if we can find a good situation. I'll look into it! And I'll make sure to stay south of Ventura.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 PM

4,702 posts, read 7,359,138 times
There are apts for rent in those areas for $1,000 , really??? I think you should do alot of research on cost of living before you move to LA.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:58 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,550,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
There are apts for rent in those areas for $1,000 , really??? I think you should do alot of research on cost of living before you move to LA.
1000 is enough for a studio. I pay 1300 for a very nice 1 bedroom in a renovated building in Hollywood. The OP shouldn't have that hard of a time, though may have to sacrifice a bit and live in a less-than-crime-free neighborhood. Silver Lake, East Hollywood seem like good bets. Another place not yet suggested was North Hollywood. A little too drab / Valley urban for me, but there is an Arts District, subway stop and a huge park all right there. Also cheaper than living on the other side of the hill. It is north of Ventura, but that might be a little outdated advice (though most of the neighborhoods in the valley worth living in for a young person will be south of Ventura.)

Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM

10 posts, read 10,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Thanks, but I've already done plenty of research. On craigslist alone I've found several affordable places that are actually quite nice. Like I said, I'm not expecting much better than a studio for $1,000. Our budget really shouldn't be an issue given what we're looking for.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:09 PM

126 posts, read 563,165 times
You might also consider Miracle Mile, which is pretty safe, reasonably walkable, close to the studios, and full of young people trying to make it in some industry or another. Although for $1000 you will probably end up in a studio there.

For more bang for your buck you might try North Hollywood (NoHo) Arts District, Toluca Lake (where Quentin Tarantino's character lived in Pulp Fiction), and south Burbank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or