Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:39 PM

396 posts, read 922,244 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be attending grad school at LMU near Marina Dey Ray). I was browsing rental prices in areas like marina del ray, santa monica, culver city, etc. But is Hollywood out of the question in terms of commute?

I visited hollywood last year and drove to LMU but I accidentally took the hollywood fwy into downtown and then to the 10 and 405 and it took me an hour and 45 mins during rush hour... thus it was a stupid route. Would taking Santa Monica blvd to 405 south take a little less time (at around 3pm-ish)?

Could anyone suggest other areas? I want to keep rent prices near 800-900 which means I will probably be rooming with someone (its doable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM

896 posts, read 1,163,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Hi, I will be attending grad school at LMU near Marina Dey Ray). I was browsing rental prices in areas like marina del ray, santa monica, culver city, etc. But is Hollywood out of the question in terms of commute?

I visited hollywood last year and drove to LMU but I accidentally took the hollywood fwy into downtown and then to the 10 and 405 and it took me an hour and 45 mins during rush hour... thus it was a stupid route. Would taking Santa Monica blvd to 405 south take a little less time (at around 3pm-ish)?

Could anyone suggest other areas? I want to keep rent prices near 800-900 which means I will probably be rooming with someone (its doable).
Check out the mar vista area, probably would be your best bet

Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,499,398 times
why not live on campus? very much a part of the college experience.

If you must live off campus, MDR, Mar Vista, Playa Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Westchester, etc will all be fine. I, personally, would not like to commute from Hollywood to LMU.

It comes down to what YOU consider a lengthy commute.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:32 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,587,287 times
Hollywood is out of the question due to commute.

There's a lot of older apartments near Manchester/Lincoln that are affordable and close to LMU. I'd guess two bedrooms go at $1400-1600/mo, so doable with a roommate. I also know some students there split the cost of renting a house in westchester, mar vista, or play del Rey. You may want to check out roommates.com

Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
why not live on campus? very much a part of the college experience.

If you must live off campus, MDR, Mar Vista, Playa Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Westchester, etc will all be fine. I, personally, would not like to commute from Hollywood to LMU.

It comes down to what YOU consider a lengthy commute.
It is almost a grand a month plus I'll be sharing a ROOM (not just the dorm) with someone... I haven't done that since I had bunk beds almost 20 years ago.

The more I though about Hlywood, the more insane I thought it was... however, I found a room for about a grand in a beverly hills mansion... BH looks a little closer to the highway...

Oh and thanks other posters for the suggestions in this thread.

Last edited by odannyboi; 12-17-2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,697,447 times
Most everyone I know that went there rents in Westchester

Old 12-17-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Most everyone I know that went there rents in Westchester
thanks, compy

Westchester is kind of bland though. I'm trying to live a few miles from school because I only attend in the late afternoon and evening so I would try to find a day job (professional or for spending money) and thus position myself geographically more towards the Culver City direction (i'm targeting Sony pictures).

Also, I kind of want to live somewhere cool because if LA doesn't work out, I can finish up school and easily find a job in Chicago. Looking to make the best of it just in case. On that note is Beverly Hills doable?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:33 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,499,398 times
Quote:
thanks, compy

Westchester is kind of bland though. I'm trying to live a few miles from school because I only attend in the late afternoon and evening so I would try to find a day job (professional or for spending money) and thus position myself geographically more towards the Culver City direction (i'm targeting Sony pictures).

Also, I kind of want to live somewhere cool because if LA doesn't work out, I can finish up school and easily find a job in Chicago. Looking to make the best of it just in case. On that note is Beverly Hills doable?
20-50 minute commute.

Why ask for advice if you're not going to take it?

Old 12-17-2011, 09:35 PM

120 posts, read 478,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Check out the mar vista area, probably would be your best bet

i recommend the westchester neighborhood west of sepulveda. mar vista, although fine, would be a bit higher crime rate.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:24 AM

26,603 posts, read 26,498,592 times
Quote:
On that note is Beverly Hills doable?
If the dorms, as you said, are almost a grand a month, Beverly Hills would far exceed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles