U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,596 times

Advertisements

After reading these forums, I have gathered that Highland Park can be a nice place to live, depending on which block one lives on. I am interested in two homes in this area that are both north of York and west of Fig:

240 Branch Street, Los Angeles, CA (just west of Figueroa)
1828 North Avenue 51, Los Angeles, CA (just east of Occidental)

I am interested in the safety of these blocks, traffic, the walkability and livability of these areas for a young family and older (60s) individuals who are moving from a much smaller city.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM

6,187 posts, read 7,996,193 times
I have a rental house on branch,just down the street from the house you are interested in.
The houses are fair, the neighborhood is ok, but the yards are small.
The houses are real close to one another.
The location is close to shops, and public transportation.
Bob.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 AM

4,261 posts, read 9,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahousehunter View Post
After reading these forums, I have gathered that Highland Park can be a nice place to live, depending on which block one lives on. I am interested in two homes in this area that are both north of York and west of Fig:

240 Branch Street, Los Angeles, CA (just west of Figueroa)
1828 North Avenue 51, Los Angeles, CA (just east of Occidental)

I am interested in the safety of these blocks, traffic, the walkability and livability of these areas for a young family and older (60s) individuals who are moving from a much smaller city.

Thank you!
Not sure why you think Highland Park is a good fit for you. Schools are bad, it's not exactly family friendly, and much of it isn't exactly the safest.

Should work fine for say a professional couple needing proximity to Downtown, Pasadena, or Glendale, but as a family area....I cant see why someone would think its a good fit.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM

68 posts, read 149,243 times
All depends on your idea of safety. Highland Park is great. There is a deep generational gang tradition there, which is something to keep in mind. It's also one of the prettiest parts of L.A. Great food too. Pasadena is fawned all over by transplants, but they are transplants with money. The Public schools in Pasadena are just as underserved as anywhere else in L.A, and the low income parts of Pasadena have plenty of their own issues as well, and they are also pretty, so it's up to what you want. No area is simple. Highland Park is so great on so many levels, but for sure can struggle with violence at times. As can parts of Pasadena.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Location: The Big Apple and Shytown and Miami and Dallas and Milwalkie and St Paul-Mineopolis n DCMV n WestBay
1,288 posts, read 1,616,546 times
My parents have lived on Meridian St for nearly 30 years, just a block from the Branch street home. I grew up in this area of HLP and I still visit occasionally.

SAFETY: Branch street has never had a bad reputation, unlike Newland Street one block behind at the apartments where you saw cop cars frequently in the 90s and early 2000s. During the day, the local area has mothers with strollers, people cleaning up their gardens and washing their cars, dog walking, joggers, bicyclists, just like any other area. The streets are full of students when they let out between 2-4pm. At night, you don't see many people walking, but that is true for many neighborhoods. I see neighborhood watch signs posted on many streets, even Branch but who knows if they are active. Many homes do not have home security like ADT so they put up fences, bars on the windows, and large dogs. Back in the 80s/90s LA had terrible crime. HLP also had a terrible reputation, that still lingers. More than 50% of the houses had at least one burglary. That is when you saw many of the window bars put up. Even though the HLP is much safer than the 90s, the stigma still resides, and people have not taken off the bars.

Traffic on Branch is very light especially since they put up the stop signs. York Blvd is busy, but gets half the traffic of Figueroa. Figueroa being the major North-south street is not that busy, even during rush hour. There are many people in and out of the nearby 99cents store. The gas station on 64/York is one of the cheapest in the city. The local grocery store is the Figueroa Produce next to the 99cents store. The larger grocery is El Super, and Super A on York a 2 minute drive away or 5 minutes to Vons in Eagle Rock. There are local eateries which have been around for decades and some recent ones on York like new Maximiliano Italian restaurant. The 83 bus is literally less than a minute walk from there. You can catch the DASH bus and 81 bus on Figueroa. The Gold Metro line is about a mile away but you can catch the Dash/81/83 Bus there. The 110 Parkway onramp is on Ave 64 southbound, but northbound, im not sure. The 134 to the 210 in Pasadena is just a few minutes north. You don't get that much traffic getting to the freeways compared to getting on 405 on Wilshire. You can drive to the heart of Downtown LA, Pasadena or Glendale in 15 minutes or less on surface streets.

The schools are OK. There are not dangerous except for the peer-peer bullying. While graduation rates are poor at Franklin, some students do go on to the best schools in the county like NYU, Brown, Harvard, CAL, USC, UCLA and Stanford, especially if they get into the FHS magnet program. The are really updating Burbank JHS now called middle school with new buildings. You can always send kids to Church related schools as well.

The local park near Branch St is Garvanza Park near Ave64/Meridian St. with a t-ball park and skate park while they just recently installed a large cistern under the park to collect rain water so the green should be back soon. The other walkable park is Highland Rec Park next the Arroyo Seco Library. You can also drive a few minutes to Hermon Tennis courts and Hermon Dog Park near the 110 Parkway. Other places people in HLP go are San Pasqual Park in South Pasadena Arroyo Seco and even the Rose Bowl. They have turned parts of York into bike lanes and Meridian St is a bike path.

Highland Park has always been a working class place. House lots are smaller, as well as homes added to OK schools keeps housing prices low. I think many houses are worth mid $300K. The one on Branch is a larger house on a slightly larger lot and renovated I think. You can put a garage in the back and convert it like many people do. On redfin its old 1905 Home while many homes in the area are 1920s and 30s built.

I do not know personally know about Ave 51. I do drive down that street often when I want a scenic drive to/from Eagle Rock over the hill. I have never had a problem or heard of problems there. You can walk to the hipster part of York. You can possibly walk around Occidental College which is safe. There are no walkable parks, but the same Dash bus and 83 bus are nearby that you can take them around. The local walkable grocery place is Super A, but there is a fresh and Easy on Eagle Rock Blvd and a Traders Joes over the hill on Colorado.

Hope that these details help. Just remember that HLP is an old part of LA, smaller lots and houses, and a working class area. It reflects on the school quality, home prices and atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles