U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM
 
Location: My Own Private Island
258 posts, read 543,044 times
Reputation: 263

Advertisements

Stay in L.A. and be a slave to money ............. ? Thats what you really want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: La La Land
1,594 posts, read 2,081,859 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Hello all,

I hope the new year finds you well. A week and a day ago marked the one year anniversary of my move from Minneapolis to Southern California (Mostly LA proper, but I did live in the suburbs for a few months). In that year I have had good times and bad, but overall I say its spawned a decent amount of self-growth and I have decided to stay for at least another year if not longer.

Reflection
------------
When I first moved out here on january 5th, 2011 I was excited to start my first "real" out of college job in a locale in which -20 was not a temperature. I sold all of my worldly posessions, shipped my car, and flew out here. The first two months were filled with two on-and-off feelings, one being the feeling of a never-ending vacation and two being severe homesickness. Not to mention I wasn't making very much money and barely scraping by.

Fast-forward 7 months, I got a call from a head-hunter with an interview offer for a much better job in both pay and advancement opportunities. Long story short, I got an offer after an interview and took the job. After a month of commuting, I settled in to a nice neighborhood about 3.5 miles from work called Los Feliz. At my new job I was able to make friends, some of which lived in my new neighborhood. I was able to afford to actually enjoy Southern California a little bit too which was nice.

The biggest breakthrough for me was finally being able to say that I had two or three friends in LA. Making friends was never tough for me outside of California, but it was and still is in some cases a long process for me here.

Before this becomes too long (if it hasn't already) my advice to newcomers is this: be patient. If you currently hate LA, try a new neighborhood, there are literally hundreds to choose from. I believe there is something here for everyone, even a chubby midwestern conservative like myself (though eating healthy has become a routine for me in LA). I hope everyone on this forum has a wonderful new year!
SOOOOOOO jealous!! Dying to leave the sewer known as NYC and move out to L.A. Many congratulations and best of luck to you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's coming up on a year and a half for me from Seattle and I love it here. Much different from Seattle but endless places to discover. Currently I live on the westside but am wanting to move further east. Somewhere like Hollywood, Silver Lake, Los Feliz or downtown where its more dense and walkable and architecturally interesting. Winter and early spring is by far my favorite time of year here. I started out wondering did I do the right thing? The job transfer was not good for me at all coming from one of the top Nordstrom stores in the company to that tiny little Nordstrom store in Santa Monica. I moved on and life is finally looking pretty good right now!
Your photographic work has been truly amazing and inspirational. You have exposed so much of what makes L.A. beautiful. Kudos and best of luck to you also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Stay in L.A. and be a slave to money ............. ? Thats what you really want?
Here's a newsflash: You are pretty much a slave to money in 90% of American cities. At least L.A. has other things to offer and great weather to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 14,472,526 times
Reputation: 6333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Stay in L.A. and be a slave to money ............. ? Thats what you really want?
Yes, oh yes! Beat me, L.A.! Beat me the cash right out of my tattered pockets! I am your slave! I beg of you to throw me off the overpass and run me over, again and again!

I desperately want children in basements to keep posting boldened slobbering messages on C-D showing a mysterious obsession with you, oh Master L.A.! The flagellation is divine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
 
Location: La La Land
1,594 posts, read 2,081,859 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
yes, oh yes! Beat me, l.a.! Beat me the cash right out of my tattered pockets! I am your slave! I beg of you to throw me off the overpass and run me over, again and again!

I desperately want children in basements to keep posting boldened slobbering messages on c-d showing a mysterious obsession with you, oh master l.a.! The flagellation is divine!
lmao!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,205 posts, read 22,788,986 times
Reputation: 6183
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Hello all,

I hope the new year finds you well. A week and a day ago marked the one year anniversary of my move from Minneapolis to Southern California (Mostly LA proper, but I did live in the suburbs for a few months). In that year I have had good times and bad, but overall I say its spawned a decent amount of self-growth and I have decided to stay for at least another year if not longer.

Reflection
------------
When I first moved out here on january 5th, 2011 I was excited to start my first "real" out of college job in a locale in which -20 was not a temperature. I sold all of my worldly posessions, shipped my car, and flew out here. The first two months were filled with two on-and-off feelings, one being the feeling of a never-ending vacation and two being severe homesickness. Not to mention I wasn't making very much money and barely scraping by.

Fast-forward 7 months, I got a call from a head-hunter with an interview offer for a much better job in both pay and advancement opportunities. Long story short, I got an offer after an interview and took the job. After a month of commuting, I settled in to a nice neighborhood about 3.5 miles from work called Los Feliz. At my new job I was able to make friends, some of which lived in my new neighborhood. I was able to afford to actually enjoy Southern California a little bit too which was nice.

The biggest breakthrough for me was finally being able to say that I had two or three friends in LA. Making friends was never tough for me outside of California, but it was and still is in some cases a long process for me here.

Before this becomes too long (if it hasn't already) my advice to newcomers is this: be patient. If you currently hate LA, try a new neighborhood, there are literally hundreds to choose from. I believe there is something here for everyone, even a chubby midwestern conservative like myself (though eating healthy has become a routine for me in LA). I hope everyone on this forum has a wonderful new year!
Funny; I was born and raised in California and moved from California to Minneapolis for those -20˚ F days. I also moved for other reasons, but the weather was a main factor.

I also find it interesting that you mention you found it hard to make friends in California. Personally, I think that Californians are some of the easiest Americans to befriend, with perhaps Minnesotans the hardest. There are tons of threads in the MPLS/St. Paul forum addressing this. Honestly, I did have tons of friends in Minneapolis, but perhaps only five where actually from Minnesota.

People seem to either really like LA or they really hate it. Personally, I am not a fan of the place, but one thing I do like is that you can find what-ever you want in LA. That is either good or bad depending on your morals and perhaps interests, but if you are into it, it is there (and no, I am not just talking about anything explicit).

I've lived all over the country (Kansas, MPLS, Maine, Boston, Maryland, for example) since I left California and I find that in the end everywhere ends up being the same as where you came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post

Here's a newsflash: You are pretty much a slave to money in 90% of American cities. At least L.A. has other things to offer and great weather to boot.
I dunno; I can't think of too many places in the U.S. that place as much emphasis on money as LA, NYC, and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
 
Location: East Fallowfield, PA
2,300 posts, read 4,232,801 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Yes, oh yes! Beat me, L.A.! Beat me the cash right out of my tattered pockets! I am your slave! I beg of you to throw me off the overpass and run me over, again and again!

I desperately want children in basements to keep posting boldened slobbering messages on C-D showing a mysterious obsession with you, oh Master L.A.! The flagellation is divine!
^ Too Funny!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
215 posts, read 433,808 times
Reputation: 240
In Minneapolis when I wanted to make a new friend I would just walk down the street in the summer, find a barbecue or party and introduce myself. I knew within 5 minutes of meeting someone if they were trustworthy and interesting.

In SoCal people are not interested in becoming close friends until after a few months of bumping in to each other. They aren't mean or cold, they just don't necessarily want to grab a beer with you until they have really felt you out from a distance.

I agree that people in California are some of the nicest on the surface, but to really make a trusted friend out here it takes a lot more work than elsewhere. Take the South for example, I have made friends on vacation and I mean trusted, long-lasting friends. People are very nice in Cali, they just aren't hospitable at first.

I am used to it now and I see it as a worthy challenge to gain more and more friends as I live here longer. Also I know there are a ton of people that have moved from the South or Midwest that agree with me on these points. I don't mean any of this as a knock on LA, just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 AM
 
Location: NYC
2,536 posts, read 4,325,579 times
Reputation: 2223
I love this post too. I hope I can write a similar one when I finally relocate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
215 posts, read 433,808 times
Reputation: 240
I wish you luck Jen, if I can make it work, anyone can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 PM
 
5,845 posts, read 11,130,789 times
Reputation: 4499
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
In Minneapolis when I wanted to make a new friend I would just walk down the street in the summer, find a barbecue or party and introduce myself. I knew within 5 minutes of meeting someone if they were trustworthy and interesting.

In SoCal people are not interested in becoming close friends until after a few months of bumping in to each other. They aren't mean or cold, they just don't necessarily want to grab a beer with you until they have really felt you out from a distance.

I agree that people in California are some of the nicest on the surface, but to really make a trusted friend out here it takes a lot more work than elsewhere. Take the South for example, I have made friends on vacation and I mean trusted, long-lasting friends. People are very nice in Cali, they just aren't hospitable at first.

I am used to it now and I see it as a worthy challenge to gain more and more friends as I live here longer. Also I know there are a ton of people that have moved from the South or Midwest that agree with me on these points. I don't mean any of this as a knock on LA, just an observation.
I just moved to LA, and am still very much in the touristy stage of things. I have joined meetup groups that experience everything from nightlife museums to enjoying the outdoors on the weekends.

My biggest struggle is my job. I am starting out in sales, and I a fully honest and transplant person, and finding a "what you see-is what you get" entry-level sales job takes more work to look for than the "shady, boiler room operation:. Fortunately, I will be started the former and leaving that latter!!

But about making friends:

I think because there are SO many people in greater LA, and its SO transient, people are just a little more on guard and suspicious at first.

Whereas even in urban areas in the midwest and the south, you may have enough people who might have grown up in a community where people were more grounded, and people have formed more tight knit communities. Which means maybe that people might be more fascinated with people from elsewhere.

On the flipside however, even in midwest and southern urban areas, it may take a little longer to truly feel like a local, because well . . . you aren't. So, there might be an unspoken language amongst those are from there. Whereas in greater LA, you are newcomer like many others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top