U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 PM

215 posts, read 433,808 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I hope the new year finds you well. A week and a day ago marked the one year anniversary of my move from Minneapolis to Southern California (Mostly LA proper, but I did live in the suburbs for a few months). In that year I have had good times and bad, but overall I say its spawned a decent amount of self-growth and I have decided to stay for at least another year if not longer.

Reflection
------------
When I first moved out here on january 5th, 2011 I was excited to start my first "real" out of college job in a locale in which -20 was not a temperature. I sold all of my worldly posessions, shipped my car, and flew out here. The first two months were filled with two on-and-off feelings, one being the feeling of a never-ending vacation and two being severe homesickness. Not to mention I wasn't making very much money and barely scraping by.

Fast-forward 7 months, I got a call from a head-hunter with an interview offer for a much better job in both pay and advancement opportunities. Long story short, I got an offer after an interview and took the job. After a month of commuting, I settled in to a nice neighborhood about 3.5 miles from work called Los Feliz. At my new job I was able to make friends, some of which lived in my new neighborhood. I was able to afford to actually enjoy Southern California a little bit too which was nice.

The biggest breakthrough for me was finally being able to say that I had two or three friends in LA. Making friends was never tough for me outside of California, but it was and still is in some cases a long process for me here.

Before this becomes too long (if it hasn't already) my advice to newcomers is this: be patient. If you currently hate LA, try a new neighborhood, there are literally hundreds to choose from. I believe there is something here for everyone, even a chubby midwestern conservative like myself (though eating healthy has become a routine for me in LA). I hope everyone on this forum has a wonderful new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM

93 posts, read 147,932 times
I really appreciate you taking the time to write this. I currently live in NH, but I've been looking for new places to move, mainly the urban areas to have some sort of city life. I've been looking at Boston, North Carolina, Florida, and The SanFran, SoCal area. Boston is nice since it's close, but I still have to deal with the cold winters which I hate.

What did you come to SoCal with? Just yourself and your car? How difficult was it to get an apartment?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
When I first moved out here on january 5th, 2011 I was excited to start my first "real" out of college job in a locale in which -20 was not a temperature.
I love this part.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,679,431 times
Takes balls to move half-way across the country and plant new roots. You picked one of my favorite neighborhoods in all of LA, Los Feliz.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM

16,613 posts, read 34,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Takes balls to move half-way across the country and plant new roots.
Yep. Looking at the OP's earliest posts, he wasn't one of those "will I be able to make it in LA?" types who are looking for someone to tell them everything will be fine. Mucho respecto to the OP.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM

5,845 posts, read 11,130,789 times
Yes, kudos to the OP.

LA is an amazing area, but relocation can be tough.

I actually just moved here from the greater Chicago area (suburbs) right after the holidays.

I'm not feeling to much homesickness all that much yet, basically because as you say, I feel like I am still very much in the "tourist" phase of being here, every weekend I am going to this place or that place all over LA county.

I am meeting people through meetup.com. Its a great way to meet new people.

I did extensive research. I did a post a couple threads over the past year asking about what it would be like to move there. But I always do my homework.

However I can understand the job situation.

I am just starting out in a new career in sales after having been a community college teacher for five years.

However, one has to be careful when starting a new career in sales. Many entry level positions you find when you start end up being shady, "boiler room operations." I thought the job I took was with a reputable, established company. But the red flags started popping up the first few days. I dread going in there because I can't sell services I have no faith in.

However yesterday just before work I had a great interview for a real sales job selling basic supplies that businesses need. I already have been talking with the owner a couple times last months. He really likes my personality and thinks I would be an excellent fit. He said he had to give courtesy interviews to two other people, but he told me its looks very good for me and he'll likely be giving me good news later today.

Nonetheless I still feel anxious. Because I want to escape ASAP from where I am now.

So yes, it takes patience.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM

927 posts, read 2,223,161 times
I loved your post! I'm coming up on 2 years in LA, moving from Minneapolis. The homesickness has not gone away, but my appreciation for LA has never dwindled. I LOVE it in LA. All of my Minneapolis friends have no idea what they are missing out on.

Los Feliz is a cool neighborhood. I lived in Silver Lake my first year out here and moved to the Westside last summer with my girlfriend (who moved out here from Minneapolis). It’s a totally different vibe. I want to try living in West Hollywood or the Valley next.

Kudos to you, my fellow 612'er!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM

215 posts, read 433,808 times
Thank you for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I would love to meet some of you guys sometime and share our experiences.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 AM

5,494 posts, read 13,309,994 times
It's coming up on a year and a half for me from Seattle and I love it here. Much different from Seattle but endless places to discover. Currently I live on the westside but am wanting to move further east. Somewhere like Hollywood, Silver Lake, Los Feliz or downtown where its more dense and walkable and architecturally interesting. Winter and early spring is by far my favorite time of year here. I started out wondering did I do the right thing? The job transfer was not good for me at all coming from one of the top Nordstrom stores in the company to that tiny little Nordstrom store in Santa Monica. I moved on and life is finally looking pretty good right now!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,439,174 times
Nice post! Glad you enjoy LA..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles