U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:45 AM

215 posts, read 434,312 times

Advertisements

^^agreed and I really don't think Los Feliz is as hipster as every makes it out to be. I am not a hipster and the majority of people I pass on the streets are not either. Silverlake is hipsterville in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 PM

27 posts, read 28,268 times
The Grove is it.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:47 PM

32 posts, read 52,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Beverly Hills, Westwood, Santa Monica (near the beach), West Hollywood. I live in the Hollywood Hills, pretty secure and nice people.

Places to avoid: Downtown LA, East LA, South LA (completely ghetto), Compton, Long Beach (even tho some areas are nice), etc, etc, etc.
I was looking at Beverly hills , and the whole area seems good. Is there any place there to avoid?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 PM

1,527 posts, read 3,443,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaFr View Post
I was looking at Beverly hills , and the whole area seems good. Is there any place there to avoid?
Century City.. As a car is necessary otherwise you'll be stranded..

Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM

79 posts, read 155,928 times
Gosh. Ummmm... Well, the wealthy areas in L.A. are Mid-City (especially Hancock Park area), Palisades, Brentwood, Venice, and Downtown (has a median income of $83,000- more then Beverly Hills). Echo Park and Silverlake are both safe, hip, and fun, but 'wealthy' they are not. Upper Middle Class, maybe? It's hard to put hipsters into socio-economic categories.

Outside of L.A., Santa Monica within a mile and a half of the beach, Malibu, and West Hollywood. The thing about Beverly Hills is that wealthy L.A. natives don't live there. People who have just moved to L.A., and wealthy immigrants who come from out of country, live there, because it is what is portrayed in TV as 'wealthy', and all they know about L.A. is from the TV. Also, downtown BevHills (The Golden Triangle) is a total tourist trap. When an L.A. native needs to do some high-end shopping, they mostly go to Century City, Robertson, or Melrose. Every store on Rodeo has at least one other store somewhere else in L.A. County. One store for the tourists, another for the locals.

Where do young people hang out? Personally, I hang out in Brentwood a lot, as that is where I live. Country Mart area, in particular, is where most of the wealthy high-schoolers go to chill. I always see people from my school there.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,443,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydude View Post
Gosh. Ummmm... Well, the wealthy areas in L.A. are Mid-City (especially Hancock Park area), Palisades, Brentwood, Venice, and Downtown (has a median income of $83,000- more then Beverly Hills). Echo Park and Silverlake are both safe, hip, and fun, but 'wealthy' they are not. Upper Middle Class, maybe? It's hard to put hipsters into socio-economic categories.

Outside of L.A., Santa Monica within a mile and a half of the beach, Malibu, and West Hollywood. The thing about Beverly Hills is that wealthy L.A. natives don't live there. People who have just moved to L.A., and wealthy immigrants who come from out of country, live there, because it is what is portrayed in TV as 'wealthy', and all they know about L.A. is from the TV. Also, downtown BevHills (The Golden Triangle) is a total tourist trap. When an L.A. native needs to do some high-end shopping, they mostly go to Century City, Robertson, or Melrose. Every store on Rodeo has at least one other store somewhere else in L.A. County. One store for the tourists, another for the locals.

Where do young people hang out? Personally, I hang out in Brentwood a lot, as that is where I live. Country Mart area, in particular, is where most of the wealthy high-schoolers go to chill. I always see people from my school there.
But an 80k median income isn't really all that wealthy..

Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,020,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
LOL. Do you just enjoy trollooooooo trolling these forums that much?

Median household income for Beverly Hills 2006-2010 - $83K

Beverly Hills (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM

79 posts, read 155,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
No, it's not. But median incomes include the poor people living in the neighborhood as well as the rich people. Because of this, median incomes are never as high as one might think for a neighborhood. Anything above 75k would be viewed as wealthy if one walked down the street.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM

184 posts, read 311,797 times
If you want to live near the beach w/ younger people and a safe area..you might want to checkout the South Bay... Hermosa Beach ..Manhattan Beach areas.. it's more of a beach culture I think compared to Santa Monica / Malibu areas.

Of course Beverly Hills is nice..and no there aren't really any "bad" parts of Beverly Hills. It's actually it's own city , and they keep it very safe. Santa Monica is it's own city and very safe too (for the most part).

Also Culver City might be an area you might want to look at ...but probably not a place you'd need to live if money was no object.. But there's a good and growing food/nightlife scene there ,it's not too far from the beach (like 8 miles maybe)...?

The thing is L.A is a bad spread out city and (in my opinion) you aren't really experiencing "L.A" if you just stick to a wealthy/safe area and don't venture out to some of the other areas..that might not be super safe and they might even have *GASP* poor people living there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles