Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
5X5 5X5 started this thread

37 posts, read 109,588 times

Advertisements

I've been checking outModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
What do you think? Fairly accurate? Know of a better reference? Looking to move to SFV in the next month or so.

Last edited by Yac; 01-31-2012 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
i prefer the LA Times website L.A. Crime News - Los Angeles Times

Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM

I'm also going to throw this out there--and hope I don't offend anyone.

When looking around neighborhoods for a rental house, do bars on windows= danger?

I know it may sound naive, but I have never lived in an area where people put bars on their windows. It seems like a fire hazard to me.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 PM

401 posts, read 768,013 times
bars on windows is typically not a good sign. Same with chain-link fences around entire property.

A good and (i've found) accurate crime mapping site is: Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
bars in windows date back to the 80s/early 90s during the crack epidemic when crime was much worse. they are so common in some areas that are perfectly safe these days that i figure it must have been in vogue at that time. now, if every house on the block has bars on the windows, then i might think twice about it. otherwise, if it's only a few here and there, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
bars on windows is typically not a good sign. Same with chain-link fences around entire property.

A good and (i've found) accurate crime mapping site is: Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
bars in windows date back to the 80s/early 90s during the crack epidemic when crime was much worse. they are so common in some areas that are perfectly safe these days that i figure it must have been in vogue at that time. now, if every house on the block has bars on the windows, then i might think twice about it. otherwise, if it's only a few here and there, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Glad you brought that up because I have seen streets with only one or two houses with bars and wondered.

Still...do I want to rent a house with bars in a safe area? If there is a fire, how do you get out (assuming the door is blocked)?

Last edited by 5X5; 01-30-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5X5 View Post

Still...do I want to rent a house with bars in a safe area? If there is a fire, how do you get out (assuming the door is blocked)?
Bars are supposed to have interior release mechanisms so the residents can fling them open in the event of fire (or in the event of family member going psycho in the house, or somebody insists on watching reality TV in the living room, or...). Laws to this effect were enacted years ago due to people being trapped in their own homes in emergencies.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM

Red face Oops

Quote:
I've been checking outModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
What do you think? Fairly accurate? Know of a better reference? Looking to move to SFV in the next month or so.

My apologies, I am new here. Honestly didn't realize I was posting something forbidden.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Quote:
My apologies, I am new here. Honestly didn't realize I was posting something forbidden.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query.
not necessarily forbidden, but new users sometimes post questions like this to spam a website they own/operate.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM

672 posts, read 2,176,279 times
When I moved into my neighborhood most houses had bars on the windows. Now it is about 50/50. The pattern seems to be that when people update or retrofit their windows, they don't bother to put new bars back on.

Basically, if you see a neighborhood with *some* houses with bars and some without, you know the neighborhood was bad back in the 1990s. If you see a neighborhood with *all* houses with bars, it is still a dangerous neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles