Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM

11 posts, read 13,169 times

Advertisements

I planning to move to LA from NY in the month
my questiones is :
1. How much is the rent going for a Room . Studio , 1 BR APT ?
2. What is the salary foe salesperson per week ?
3. What is the good neighborhoods and what is the bad neighborhoods ?
4. What is the dangerous neighborhoods ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,866 times
santa monica is best and safest
1200-1500 studio or one bedroom
west la
beverly hills adjacent
marina del rey
culver city
westchester
these are all good
pay for sales depends on what you are selling. La and NYC are very different markets

Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM

10 posts, read 79,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimt2 View Post
I planning to move to LA from NY in the month
my questiones is :
1. How much is the rent going for a Room . Studio , 1 BR APT ?
2. What is the salary foe salesperson per week ?
3. What is the good neighborhoods and what is the bad neighborhoods ?
4. What is the dangerous neighborhoods ?
Generally, I've heard bad things about East LA. But the people I've read from online (and a couple of my cousins who live up there) state it's just like anywhere else. There are still malls and places to go to and as long as you work no one really cares about you.

The other thing is south central LA, though I've heard it's also gotten better in recent years. I've only been to the area around Watts Towers, and I already saw that it looked quite aged and broke. That's the "safer", touristy area, too.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Wow the trolls are out in force today

Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM

10 posts, read 79,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Wow the trolls are out in force today
Who are you referring to?

Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 AM

215 posts, read 490,943 times
Not sure who John is referring to, but he might be referring to the fact that someone moving all the way across the country in month might already have an idea on where to live and how much it will cost. If he is not referring to that, then I am ):

Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
Try sites like Craigslist/pad-something to see what people are renting and who is looking.

Salesperson? like at BestBuy, Macy's or Target? are probably minimum wage starting to a few dollars above/hr.

good neighborhoods : South Pasadena, San Marino, La Canada, Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Thousand Oaks, Rancho Palos Verdes.

dangerous : you might wanna search this site for LA gangs and avoid those streets or areas.
dangerous

Old 01-31-2012, 07:22 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
santa monica is definitely going to be out of your league. i know this because you are asking these questions. yeah, its an ok neighborhood, but 1200 for a one bedroom? i lived in venice and those places, for a crappy, really crappy two bedroom, was about 2000. one bedrooms were almost impossible to find. and its right next door to santa monica and a much, much, MUCH nicer place to live in my opinion. santa monica is for tourists really. it isn't real there. its the sort of place where you can get a ticket if you are rummaging through someone's recyclables. very sanitized. maybe you would dig that but if you did you would hate the rest of LA.
salesperson, you will probably make between 8-10 an hour. do the math. if you like to work two and three jobs then you have found your career.
and east LA has a horrible reputation which it may have deserved a decade a go but its really a great place. i have worked and lived there and partied there and parked my car there and walked the streets in the middle of the night and never had a single issue. west los angeleans have a phobia about east LA as if they are gonna have to join the Mexican Mafia as soon as they cross over. it isn't true. i am sure old time denizens of east LA love this. it keeps rents down. watts i can't speak for, tho i have spent time there and looked at a couple of cars to buy there and i was totally surprised. night time is another story, one of which i cannot speak.

it might help the OP if people focused on good, AFFORDABLE neighborhoods. i doubt he is gonna come rolling into beverly hills or south pasadena on min.wage.

safe, AFFORDABLE neighborhoods- chinatown, lincoln heights, eagle rock, parts of pasadena, echo park, el segundo, anywhere in the valley. you can find funky cheap places in topanga. you can find couches in venice for rent for 450-500 and put a curtain up. loads of folks i know have done that. you can find that all over los angeles.

bad neighborhoods- skid row. the fringes of downtown which are also the fringes of skid row. i would say anything affordable right now downtown is gonna be a little sketchy. yeah, yeah, i know, gentrification.....it happened but it didn't happen in any affordable manner. go and read some of the yelp reviews of some of the hotels downtown. hilarious. if you aren't being carried off by bedbugs you will be dodging poo thoughtfully left in the foyer of your building. and so on.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,606 times
Almost any place in LA county is going to cost you over $1000/per month

Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan86 View Post
Not sure who John is referring to, but he might be referring to the fact that someone moving all the way across the country in month might already have an idea on where to live and how much it will cost. If he is not referring to that, then I am ):
Have we gotten so lazy that we cannot even use google anymore - we must ask questions of others and have them google for you? Come on people .. all of these questions have been answered on this very forum many times in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles