Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 28,196 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. Even though I have been lurking around for sometime and am making my first post here. I am very interested in moving to Los Angeles when I graduate from The University of Michigan with my Bachelors degree in Finance. I have never been before but have a few friends there now. I would like to know is where is the "main spot" for finance people at? As well as where is a good place for me to move to? I used to study architecture so it's obvious I like to be in a very dense area with lots to do and walkability. Thanks for reading my post! and here is my demographic.

Nightlife: Places like this The Bronx Bar - Midtown - Detroit, MI
Interests: Little Outdoor but still urban aspects involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,979,736 times
If you mean where are most of the finance jobs I think they can be found all over but the largest concentrations exist in:

Century City, West LA, and Downtown Los Angeles.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Start in the areas your freinds are in. Work your way out from there

Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,166,184 times
From a career liquidity/opportunity standpoint, LA is a much, much smaller town for any financier than MenloPk/SF....in terms of big HFs, LBO shops, VCs, tech inv banking, etc...reality is LA region is a munchkin economically vs the PaloAlto region which has more >$50Bn mkt cap HQs than any region on planet (incl Manhattan)

LA's few prominent HFs are all in CentCity or SM, founded largely by guys who were Milken alums of '80s era and are now >50yo statesmen

LA's Westside is arguably world's most enjoyable playground for rich....but much/most of Big Money on Westside made that money in tech or finance up in PaloAlto region and gets a BH region place once semi-retired and wants to sample LA's constant ability to annually attract hot, 20yo girls from Podunk in search of money from working in "entertainment" or for some sugar daddy....

Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 AM

237 posts, read 669,149 times
Have to disagree with hsw. I think the point of the question is where could he find employment in the high finance industry in the LA region, and the truth is it is LA does offer many employment opportunities in your field. I have a number of friends who have gone from company to company or this Merrill office to the other for over 35 years. There are also several "boutique" firms or offices.

Now, take into consideriation that jobs in general are scarce now, but LA is a good place to seek employment in the financial sector. The economy is massive and sources of wealth vary. The areas that are have active and large (in terms of the value of accounts): just happen to be where most of the wealthy people live or work such as the following:
Downtown Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Century City, and in Orange County in the Irvine/Newport Beach area.

Before the economy tanked there was lots of work and my friends were trying to get me to get in on the business. But these are different times, and consider the huge hit and slaughter New York took only because they depend on the high finance industry so much.

And contrary to hsw, HQ's can actually be a BAD thing for a city. New York took it bad because of a lot of HQ's of the finance industry. Los Angeles has always manged to get beaten a bit less because we DON'T have a lot of HQ's. Most of our businesses are smaller, and, therefore, can actually weather bad times better in many cases because smaller businesses have lighter overhead and can CHANGE so quickly to the new economic times and are far more "dynamic" while a very large corporation is a VERY difficult thing to control and change for the times and often has leveraged far too much that the result is catastrophic when the bank comes a callin'. The result for LA has been greater stability in bad times and NOT having an over-dependence on any one industry because the LA economy is diverse: manufacturing (clothing and toys just two examples and the heavy industry; LA is a very blue collar place), finance, energy (oil), agriculture, transportation/shipping (both LA Harbor--one should include the adjoining but competing Long Beach Harbor--and LAX along with the railroads that feed from the harbors), law, real estate, retail, and even government, and more.

Your challenge will be this economy and the bad rap high finance has these days.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 AM

313 posts, read 779,041 times
Work in Century City, live in Culver City/ Palms/ Mar Vista. Rent. Then figure out your spot to lay down roots. Consider transportation when choosing any job or apartment. After that being young and with income is a breeze.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 28,196 times
Great to hear about the many different opportunities there are and the variety of industries to get into. So I guess when I near graduation I will look at Century City. To HarryKerry I dont know if LA is as blue collar as my hometown Detroit-evidence here:
"It's Halftime in America" - Official Chrysler Commercial from 2012 NFL Championship Game - YouTube
Thanks for the infill everyone, but how are those places at night? In terms of finding people my age (recent college grad etc.)

Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,493,331 times
I never knew Clint Eastwood was from Detroit

Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM

894 posts, read 1,326,279 times
awesome commercial

Old 02-06-2012, 01:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,957,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I never knew Clint Eastwood was from Detroit
He's not. He's from Piedmont (by Oakland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles