Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

124 posts, read 334,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here's a post I found in my City-Data Forum Time Machine, dated February 5th, 2014:

"Connecticut is the rudest place I've ever lived. I was born in Georgia, Lived in Texas, visited Illinois and North Carolina and I can't even explain in words how much I hate it here. First of all the people are so rude."

from

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...nnecticut.html

" I wouldn't say that people in Connecticut are rude, but I would say they are cold. Neighbors wave, but rarely speak unless spoken to. Fall is absolutely beautiful, though, for three months that I must say. But then the winter sets in for about 8 months. The sky is gray, all the time, except of course when there is a quick break in the clouds for more gray. On the one hand, I liked not having people in your business all the time, but, I must say, it's good to be out of there. The cost of living is astronomical, the taxes are ridiculous, and the traffic unbearable. But, at least, one can always look through the windshield at the gray sky."

from

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...nnecticut.html
My husband got a job offer in Boston (Canton actually, which is south of Boston) and I told him it was a deal breaker.

Boston is EXTREMELY expensive, and you get an even worse house than you do in LA or OC! AND if you can't afford to live right next to the city of Bsoton it is nearly ALL RURAL! (Please don't flame me for disliking rural - I've lived it, hated it and it is just a personal opinion)
Californians are WAY more friendly! Yes, even with the materialism and all that taken into consideration.
We had the choice to choose and we chose IRVINE over Boston.
Plus SoCal is WAY warmer - Boston is darn cold for 6-7 months out of the year.
No thank you, I'll take LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
I'd rather live in Irvine over Boston too. And I'm FROM Boston!

I agree with most of it, but I think it's cheaper to buy a house in Boston. Maybe not Boston-proper (or, like, Cambridge vs. Burbank), but definitely within 10 minutes outside the city. I rented a 4 bedroom 1700 sq ft house in Arlington for $1500/mo vs. a TINY (700 sq ft or so) 2 bedroom apartment in Burbank for $1700/mo.

Happier here, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
My husband got a job offer in Boston (Canton actually, which is south of Boston) and I told him it was a deal breaker.

Boston is EXTREMELY expensive, and you get an even worse house than you do in LA or OC! AND if you can't afford to live right next to the city of Bsoton it is nearly ALL RURAL! (Please don't flame me for disliking rural - I've lived it, hated it and it is just a personal opinion)
Californians are WAY more friendly! Yes, even with the materialism and all that taken into consideration.
We had the choice to choose and we chose IRVINE over Boston.
Plus SoCal is WAY warmer - Boston is darn cold for 6-7 months out of the year.
No thank you, I'll take LA.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 PM

82 posts, read 128,385 times
Yikes, two posters in this thread sound so awful and make me even happier I left LA! Proudly materialistic and unashamed of their elementary-level grammar. Honey, use some of that Chanel makeup money and enroll in a community college and take up a grammar course. Geez.

Materialism wouldn't be so awful if Los Angeles were some rich and educated city but it's not which makes it so amusing. I don't begrudge Monaco or Manhattan for materialism because hey...they can afford it! I was so done with having friends who drove expensive cars and had -10 in their checking accounts. Dunzo.

What an awful city Los Angeles is. What's the point of it? It's basically Houston on steroids...or on crack.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas9 View Post

What an awful city Los Angeles is. What's the point of it?
The point is to keep the haters away, that the beach may be clear of the irritable types. Relaxing and enjoying life is a good thing.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM

129 posts, read 316,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I'd rather live in Irvine over Boston too. And I'm FROM Boston!

I agree with most of it, but I think it's cheaper to buy a house in Boston. Maybe not Boston-proper (or, like, Cambridge vs. Burbank), but definitely within 10 minutes outside the city. I rented a 4 bedroom 1700 sq ft house in Arlington for $1500/mo vs. a TINY (700 sq ft or so) 2 bedroom apartment in Burbank for $1700/mo.

Happier here, though!
$1700???? Wow, I don't think we'll be returning to LA anytime soon. I do love Burbank, but that seems like a horrible waste of money. It isn't the small space that I would mind -- it's the outrageous rent that's a deal breaker. As long as people are willing to shell out that kind of money, rent prices will continue to go up and up. It's fine for the people who have the money, but the middle class continues to get squeezed out.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
$1700???? Wow, I don't think we'll be returning to LA anytime soon. I do love Burbank, but that seems like a horrible waste of money. It isn't the small space that I would mind -- it's the outrageous rent that's a deal breaker. As long as people are willing to shell out that kind of money, rent prices will continue to go up and up. It's fine for the people who have the money, but the middle class continues to get squeezed out.
I think we probably overpay. We had to find a place that took 2 cats & a dog, accepted a month-to-month lease, and had a little back yard for our dog. And we had only 2 days to find this place. And it's in a tri-plex, so we only border 1 neighbor.

So all those things brought the price up.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
So I find people in OC to be more vapid/vain than LA. I know it exists in both places but to be honest, some people just don't care about how they look in LA. This is rare to see in OC.

And when i say "look" I mean dress. Definitely a lot of fit people all over and people care about that. But in terms of dressing, you see all kinds of stuff in LA.
It depends. I'm in the OC, and when I did office work there, I only saw obese hippos - not fit people. Although there are plenty of fit people out here everywhere but the boring corporate environments. Something about sitting at a desk all day and munching on donuts for breakfast that turns people into frumpy fat slobs.

Also, as far as how OC people dress - most people I see around here dress way down. I see so many here always wearing jeans, shorts, tank tops and flip flops everywhere. Not just at the beaches or Walmart, but also to fancy restaurants and Segerstrom Hall.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
I understand your point but this is LA and we all know how this city works. Me personally I'm very materialistic, i care what shoes/clothes i wear, i work out daily, i drive far just to go to a gym in Beverly Hills (i have a close one but i don't like it, too ghetto), i drive a nice car because i wanted to fit in the city. I would never move to another city or state specially in the Mid West. I can't see myself living in a place surrounded by religious freaks, rednecks, farm people, republicans and those kind of crazy people. LOL !
LA is a VERY plastic city but we all know that and we all love it.
I love farm people! I like farm animals even better, well, except for how they smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles