Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,291 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Calabasas as well. I live in Texas now. No, Texas is not all desert and cowboy hats. haha

I love the ocean, but can't afford to live by the ocean. So I am looking for a nice area with good schools that is a decent driving distance to the ocean as well as to North Hollywood, Burbank areas.

I haven't been able to find a lot of pictures of Calabasas. The only pics I have seen, seem very brown. is all this way or is there any greenery there? Are there other places we should be considering too?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,510,797 times
Southern California has a semi-arid climate. Yes, there is greenery here, but only after it rains. This year was the driest on record, so the hills around here are looking pretty brown - and the fire danger is up, of course.

If you're actually thinking of living in Calabasas and working in North Hollywood or Burbank, I beg you to reconsider. The one rule of thumb in dealing with the traffic in L.A. is to live as close as possible to where you work while still being in a safe area. Burbank has some very nice areas - but of course, it's not very close to the beach. However, even if you go to the beach once a week, you'll be dealing with a lot less traffic than commuting from Calabasas to the east San Fernando Valley!

And by the way, welcome to City-Data!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquee View Post
Thinking of moving to Calabasas as well. I live in Texas now. No, Texas is not all desert and cowboy hats. haha

I love the ocean, but can't afford to live by the ocean. So I am looking for a nice area with good schools that is a decent driving distance to the ocean as well as to North Hollywood, Burbank areas.

I haven't been able to find a lot of pictures of Calabasas. The only pics I have seen, seem very brown. is all this way or is there any greenery there? Are there other places we should be considering too?

Thank you,
Calabasas - Google Image Search

Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,164,548 times
Remember the movie and TV series MASH? That was filmed near Calabasas. Definitely not what I would call a green area. Not a bad community to live in but I agree with SandyCo in that it's better to live closer to work and drive to entertainment rather than the other way around.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:06 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,015,088 times
Will you be working in North Hollywood, Burbank area? Also, I don't agree that if you work in these areas that living in Calabasas is a bad idea. Calabasas is an upscale, bedroom community. Most of the people who live there don't work in Calabasas. They commute to downtown, Burbank, Beverly Hills, Century City and to many other places. If your work commute is only to North Hollywood or Burbank, that's very manageable in my opinion and well within the norm for LA.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 09-05-2007 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles