Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charias View Post
West Hollywood is the best overall place to live in LA if you are a New Yorker. It's one of the few truly urban areas in the city where you can walk to world-class restaurants and interesting shops.
NULL

See also: Westwood Village.

FTW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
NULL

See also: Westwood Village.

FTW
Westwood Village doesn't have Book Soup where I wind up doing most of my book shopping. It is tragic that I'll move out of Culver City before Dutton's relocates there from Brentwood. That would mean no traffic choked drives up to the Strip. (And all you B'wood people will have to drive to WeHo or to Small World in Venice to get your indie book store fix....)

Westwood Village doesn't have Carney's and has no delis comparable to Canter's or Greenblatt's. (And yes, I know Canter's is a couple blocks outside of WeHo city limits, but the borders between WeHo and the Fairfax District were arbitrarily drawn. ) Although Westwood Village has quite a few great restaurants, as well.

Both WeHo and Westwood Village are great areas. WeHo has a slight edge but both are wonderful places to live.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 PM

106 posts, read 139,154 times
Default Very interested in weho for the future in 2-3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
Crime sucks but this is nothing. Two offences a day in a city of 36,000, which attracts many visitors to its bars and restaurants? You can handle it.

I would worry more about the social environment. Like fastfilm says West Hollywood is a fairly gay / lesbian area. To make things odder it also has many retired Europeans. Sort of like a mix of the West Village and the Upper East Side. All of which is great if you don't have kids, and don't plan to. If you do you will feel like Martians.

I have been looking for a safe area to live in CA that doesn't cost $5,000 for a 3 bedroom, first floor unit or single ranch home very close to a rail stop where I can go from home safely in a power chair to LA and back. I am a young 63 y o female, 80,000+ gross income (to support 3 people) no kids ever, high standards of appearance, but not really fake with the makeup and hair but am very much into cosmetic procedures and straight but very LGBT friendly. I would be living with 2+ family members or live-in workers to help me with everyday needs. The wheelchair will be used part time as I have limited time sitting and standing. I need an area where I can easily get around in my powerchair as a pedestrian but mostly using rail. I heard the lines going through Hollywood are the nicest rail lines, really the only lines where you're safe and won't be bothered by beggars, except for at the regular rail stations. Comments and opinions appreciated.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:57 PM

513 posts, read 913,420 times
You're gonna have a great time in WeHo. It's a fun area.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:08 PM

106 posts, read 139,154 times
Panamajack, thanks for the encouragement. Looks like Weho is my ultimate USA residence goal.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 PM

8 posts, read 7,027 times
sounds like this would be a good area for myself and 20yr old daughter. We are relocating from London and love NYC having spent a month in an apartment there. Looking for up market, trendy bars and restaurants good atmosphere and up scale fully serviced apartment. Does everyone agree this would fit the bill? Are there parks as we have a small dog?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:52 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polican View Post
you guys are great, thanks for all of the responses!!

looking back i feel a little silly posting about the crime, bc i agree that it's a drop in the bucket for a week's time in a city like LA.

the car break-ins are a concern only bc my car has been broken into a few times here in NYC. nothing is more frustrating! but thank god our (hopefully) future apartment is a triplex with a garage space!

we just visited the area in July, and we cant wait to move! We stayed with our friends near Plummer park, and a friend of theirs is going to sublet us her current 1 bedroom which is a few streets north of whiskey a go-go! the price is a freakin STEAL bc of her rent control, we are so lucky, we couldn't say no. And not to mention we dont have to deal with deposits

we've been doing some research and my wife wants me to take her to Pink Taco for our first LA dinner date . I am 31 and she is 32, so we still "party" (not as much as we used to) and we cant wait to dive right into the little rock bars and cute restaurants in the area. My wife being in the fashion industry we have many gay friends (and will probably make more in LA) so that's cool. I was born in Poland so moving into an area with some Eastern European population will be cool as well.

lemme tell you i lived in NYC since 1984 and i can definitely do without the 90% humidity in the summer and the -20 wind chills in the winter. and we wont believe all of the LA haters on these message boards until we taste it all ourselves.
We live in Queens and have spent the last 3 summers vacationing in West Hollywood (a few blocks north of the Improv). Based on those 6 months we have decided to move out to LA next summer. Don't know exactly what neighborhood yet but as you said, there are so many positive differences. I can tell you we felt totally safe at all hours and never had a problem whether driving, walking or using public transportation at any hour.

Best of luck to you and I'm sure you'll love it!!

Old 08-28-2015, 07:55 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
I have been looking for a safe area to live in CA that doesn't cost $5,000 for a 3 bedroom, first floor unit or single ranch home very close to a rail stop where I can go from home safely in a power chair to LA and back. I am a young 63 y o female, 80,000+ gross income (to support 3 people) no kids ever, high standards of appearance, but not really fake with the makeup and hair but am very much into cosmetic procedures and straight but very LGBT friendly. I would be living with 2+ family members or live-in workers to help me with everyday needs. The wheelchair will be used part time as I have limited time sitting and standing. I need an area where I can easily get around in my powerchair as a pedestrian but mostly using rail. I heard the lines going through Hollywood are the nicest rail lines, really the only lines where you're safe and won't be bothered by beggars, except for at the regular rail stations. Comments and opinions appreciated.
You should know that West Hollywood rents are on the expensive side (still better than $5000 for a 3 bedroom but it can get close to that). Use the Craigslist LA apartment map to get an idea. Also, there is no rail stop in West Hollywood. Other than that it should fit your needs very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles