Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 953 times

Advertisements

I've lived in LA for about 10 years, always as an apartment renter. I've been toying with the idea of buying a house, primarily because I truly dislike dealing with neighbors immediately above/below/next to me. And I've come to that point that I really want my own *space*.

My issue is one of location. At the moment I'm project-based/freelancing, and there's no consistent place of employment. And even if I did have a 'regular' job, it's unlikely I'd stay at the same place for say, a decade.

I don't plan on leaving the LA area any time soon, but choosing a specific location when I could be working in Burbank for half the year, and Santa Monica the next, has left me a little stumped.

Anyone else been in that situation? Am I doomed to a horrendous commute no matter what?

Just kind of curious if/what other people decided to do under similar circumstances, and what your deciding criteria was.

(Of course, I know I could theoretically rent a house, but I don't find that option particularly appealing either. Go figure.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,009,908 times
I suppose you could use the critera of where you like to spend your weekends and where your closest friends are, that way you don't end up commuting for both work AND play.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,211,982 times
I'm a project-based freelancer. I live in Burbank, and I just don't take jobs that are in Santa Monica or too far away from where I live. I find it a pretty good place to live in regards to commuting. It's not that far to Hollywood/Glendale/Pasadena/Downtown/West Hollywood/Sherman Oaks/Studio City. But, yeah, Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey or something would be too far.

I'm not sure how it's THAT different from what you have now. You don't move every time you have a new project now, do you? If you do, then, yeah... you should just rent a house (but they all want a year's lease).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles