Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
California enacted 745 new laws in 2011, 725 new laws in 2010, and 696 new laws in 2009. According to the OP - one is not a gentleman if they are not aware of and do not obey all 2,146 of those laws that were created just in the last 3 years on top of all the other laws on the book from previous years plus City of Los Angeles ordinances!

It is time for a part time leglislature.
I suppose I could have been more specific in my original post. The laws I'm referring to are the ones we've had for quite a while and are good sense -- don't speed like a maniac through streets where kids and pets live...don't steal shopping carts...don't drive through a crosswalk and almost clip a pedestrian with your sideview mirror...don't throw your ice cream wrapper on the sidewalk and leave it there, and so forth.

I was merely wondering, as somebody who was born in this city in the early 70's and witnessed its changes over the years, does anybody out there still give a damn about civic responsibility and make a conscious effort to not be an inconsiderate slob?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse...or so I'm told. You're right, It's one new law after another, most of them "feel good" laws that don't accomplish a thing.
...Which are created by politicians trying to justify their existence. Lame people make lame laws, often simply to appease the highest bidder, not for any necessary civic-minded purpose.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 AM

17 posts, read 23,886 times
Laws that lack enforcement aren't laws at all. Here's something to cheer up anyone's day: Cracking down on Los Angeles parking meter cheaters - latimes.com

Confession time: I went 25mph over the speed limit on the 605N for approximately 2.7 seconds at 18:01 PST Friday on a donorcycle. With the exception of that 2.7 second lapse of judgement, I made an effort to obey all laws in public that day

Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Hey, I am not perfect, but I DO make an effort to adhere too things that are considered law.
After having been nearly rear ended more times than I can count, I had a bumper sticker made for my vehicles that state, "I stop for pedestrians".
It is amazing how many times I have been yelled at, and horn blasted for stopping at a crosswalk for people crossing.
On another issue;
As any one on this forum knows, for years I have been involved in educating dog owners of their responsibility to keep their animals on leash when out in public, and too date, it has been mostly successful.
We all have pet peeves, and I have to admit, this practice of allowing one's dog to be off leash in public, is my biggest one.
Bob.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
...Which are created by politicians trying to justify their existence. Lame people make lame laws, often simply to appease the highest bidder, not for any necessary civic-minded purpose.
California has so many laws criminalizing every facet of life, even more than the US as a whole, that it is impossible to obey all laws in public. CA's penchant for passing laws for the hell of it has made CA less business-friendly.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
When I lived in Oakland I used the casual carpool to get to work and a couple times rode with a driver who was a cop who would talk during the whole ride to SF on his cell phone held up to his ear.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 PM

23 posts, read 65,396 times
I'd say about 80% of LA drivers ignore the on-ramp traffic lights. i get so pissed when I'm picking up speed and some toad feels the need to actually stop at one of them.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM

23 posts, read 65,396 times
they really should change the speed limit within the car-pool lane and fast lane. in a given hour of driving in LA, i flash high beams and honk at at least 4 morons who are doing 65 in the fast lane/ carpool lane. UNFORGIVABLE!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
When I lived in Oakland I used the casual carpool to get to work and a couple times rode with a driver who was a cop who would talk during the whole ride to SF on his cell phone held up to his ear.
The law forbidding cell phone use while driving is only a few years old. Did this occur before the date the law came into effect? If so, then this may have been unsafe - but was perfectly legal - unless he was clearly distracted.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 PM

6 posts, read 8,284 times
I think the problem is more economics. You have millions of refugees roaming the earth in search of safety from armed conflict and government coruption. Hollywood, like many places in the western world, is merely a resting spot for these people. They are able to work and acquire resources. Many of them are living hand-to-mouth. Unfortunately, they bring their bad third world habbit and ways with them. This is because most major urban cities are run by democrats, who for the most part are liberal, these new inhabitants are allowed to conduct themselves the way they did in their respective third world countries from which they came. They are not forced to assimilate to our first world ways. As a result we continue to see a total break-down and deterioration of our society. Sadly, I do not see things improving any time soon. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles